Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Wifi interference with Inspire 1 V2

Reaction score
My Inspire 1 V2 seems to always have issues with wifi interference, no matter where I fly. The Inspire 1 is 2.4Ghz only, but frequency agile, the radio will hop around to get the best frequency/least interference. The only option is "Custom" to manually select a frequency. I continually get video glitches, and occasionally the radio disconnects. Sometimes I've had to recycle the power on the controller, which usually gets it to reconnect. I have the Inspire set to RTH on lost signal, which has been activated a couple of times. My Phantom 4 Pro usually has no problems on 2.4Ghz, even when flying it at the same location. Usually I set the P4 to 5.8Ghz because it has less interference, but 2.4Ghz is generally is good enough, so my Inspire should be at least as good on 2.4Ghz. There were several versions of the Inspire 1 controller, GL658A, B, and C, I have the GL658B. Has anyone experienced a lot of 2.4Ghz interference with the Inspire 1? What Inspire 1 controller version is the best?

Last edited:
Here's some troubleshooting steps I found on DJI Support website:

1. Ensure that your mobile device is on the recommended device list on the DJI's website.
( I use an iPad 2017, which is on the list)
2. For Android devices, please turn on "USB debugging." For Samsung devices, please ensure that the connection mode is set to Media (MTP) Camera (PTP) Mode.
(Not applicable to iOS devices)
3. Check whether the USB cable is malfunctioning. Check whether the cable is connected correctly, or try with a different cable.
(I have tried different cables with the same results)
4. Check whether the mobile device’s USB port is malfunctioning. Please try with another mobile device and ensure that its USB port works normally.
(My P4 Pro works great using the same iPad, there is no issue with the Lightning connector)
5. Check whether the DJI GO app displays abnormally. Please remove the DJI GO app and then install it again.
(The DJI Go app has been removed and installed a couple of times with no change)

Reactions: Graham Hosking
I have had similiar problems with my 1I v2 and my other drones. I live in a very high contention for bands area with a 300 ft FCC mast two undred yrads away. The most reliable method I have to stop connection interference is set every WiFi network I use to "Auto Reconnect" OFF

Turning Wifi off for the controlling mobile device (iPad in my case) may help. I've not had to do that for my Phantom 4 Pro. I'm thinking of modding my controller with a flat plate (directional) antenna, and/or trying a different controller.

The answer, the cure.

Part 2:

Add the 32 channel hack and, in extreme cases, parabolic passive signal boosters, and you'll never experience bad reception again.

1569985193215.png

D

Attachments

• 1569985092054.png
    1569985092054.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 4
The answer, the cure.

Part 2:

Add the 32 channel hack and, in extreme cases, parabolic passive signal boosters, and you'll never experience bad reception again.

View attachment 26806

D
You've posted this so many times over the forum (not criticism) that it shows up in numerous searches.
You would think people would come across it just by using a single search. :rolleyes:

You've posted this so many times over the forum (not criticism) that it shows up in numerous searches.
You would think people would come across it just by using a single search. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same, exact thing.

D

Thanks for everyone's input. My fault for not researching this enough before posting.

I tried to downgrade my Inspire 1 V2 to 1.08 firmware, which means copying the bin file to a MicroSD card. I need the .bin firmware file, and DJI does not really want you to downgrade, so they make the old firmware hard to find. Does anyone have any further info on where to get it?

I would also like to run the FCC 32 channel mod. I found the instructions for enabling the correct configuration, and was able to download the various configuration files, which have to named ".DJI.configs". I decided to use the FCC (0.9W) 32 channel mod configuration file. The best tool I found for transferring files to an iPad system (normally hidden) folder is iMazing. I have two folders on my iPad, DJI GO, and DJI Pilot. One instruction I found said to put the config file in the DJI Pilot Documents folder, but there is no such folder on my iPad. I tried putting it in the DJI Pilot folder, also the DJI Go folder, each time killing and restarting the aircraft, controller, and DJI Go. I was unable to see any change in the radio channels of the controller, using the "Custom" button.

These procedures are hacks, obviously not sanctioned by DJI, who may be doing what Microsoft/Apple do, which is to squash them with later software/firmware releases. So it may be that my (latest) version of DJI Go has prevented this hack. Also the info on these hacks on the internet/forums/websites/youtube etc. may have worked fine when published, but now are effectively obsolete/incorrect/misleading, but they stick around on the 'net seemingly forever, ready to confuse the next guy who tries it.

Any more info on how to get this done would be appreciated. I'm thinking of downgrading DJI Go one version (1.5?) and try again.
Chris

I would also like to run the FCC 32 channel mod. I found the instructions for enabling the correct configuration, and was able to download the various configuration files, which have to named ".DJI.configs". I decided to use the FCC (0.9W) 32 channel mod configuration file. The best tool I found for transferring files to an iPad system (normally hidden) folder is iMazing.

Imazing is what I use for my Gen 3 iPad. For Gen 2's and earlier I use a legacy version of iTunes. I like the latter better, but the former works.

I have two folders on my iPad, DJI GO, and DJI Pilot. One instruction I found said to put the config file in the DJI Pilot Documents folder, but there is no such folder on my iPad. I tried putting it in the DJI Pilot folder, also the DJI Go folder, each time killing and restarting the aircraft, controller, and DJI Go. I was unable to see any change in the radio channels of the controller, using the "Custom" button.

Post some screen captures. Your descriptions aren't jibing with what I know about the Imazing GUI.

These procedures are hacks, obviously not sanctioned by DJI, who may be doing what Microsoft/Apple do, which is to squash them with later software/firmware releases. So it may be that my (latest) version of DJI Go has prevented this hack.

Possibly. The sweet spots:

Go App = v3.1.1
Go 4 App = v4.0.8

Also the info on these hacks on the internet/forums/websites/youtube etc. may have worked fine when published, but now are effectively obsolete/incorrect/misleading, but they stick around on the 'net seemingly forever, ready to confuse the next guy who tries it.

Apple made changes that screwed everyone. First, they changed iTunes so you can no longer access your apps. Then they told vendors to hide .plist files. Then they locked out the Gen 3 offerings so you can't use legacy iTunes on them. Maddening. But, in a word, f*** them. It's MY iPad. I paid for it. I'll do with it what I wish.

I fixed the first issue with a legacy version of iTunes, v12.5.4.42. Some videos will tout earlier versions, but take my word for it, v12.5.4.42 is the sweet spot.

1577161353512.png

Any more info on how to get this done would be appreciated. I'm thinking of downgrading DJI Go one version (1.5?) and try again.
Chris

Read above. v3.1.1 is the sweet spot for the Go app. If you have older iPads and run legacy iTunes, you can drag and drop the hacked .config file into the Go App root directory. If you use iMazing, the "Documents" folder acts as the root directory.

D

Thanks for your reply. I have an iPad 2017, with both DJI Go and DJI Go 4 installed. Here's a screenshot of iMazing looking at the DJI Go folder. As you can see, I copied the .DJI.configs file to the DJI Go folder, and also the DJI Pilot folder, but neither seems to work (restarting the drone, transmitter, and the DJI Go app each time).

View attachment 27636

I have the current version of DJI Go installed, which is V3.1.60. I can only downgrade DJI Go through the app, and it won't go down to 3.1.1. A bigger problem though is that earlier versions of apps usually don't play well with iOS upgrades, particularly if we are talking about 3 or 4 iOS versions. Unfortunately keeping your iPad on an earlier version becomes harder and harder, Apple nags you to upgrade, newer apps won't work with older iOS versions, older versions have bugs that can be exploited and won't play nice with newer iOS versions. Sure if you have an iPad dedicated to drones, only drone related apps, you can freeze everything, not upgrade, never connect to the internet, no problem. When I fly for DroneDeploy, I have to have my iPad on the internet to download the mission. So the whole hacking thing gets very difficult to maintain, every time you turn the thing on it's trying to "upgrade".

Also I cannot find the older Inspire 1 firmware .bin files, so manually downgrading by copying the firmware to an SD card, putting the card in the camera and booting the drone will not work. Anyone know where to get the older firmware?

Thank you

Thanks for your reply. I have an iPad 2017, with both DJI Go and DJI Go 4 installed. Here's a screenshot of iMazing looking at the DJI Go folder. As you can see, I copied the .DJI.configs file to the DJI Go folder, and also the DJI Pilot folder, but neither seems to work (restarting the drone, transmitter, and the DJI Go app each time).

View attachment 27636

I have the current version of DJI Go installed, which is V3.1.60. I can only downgrade DJI Go through the app, and it won't go down to 3.1.1. A bigger problem though is that earlier versions of apps usually don't play well with iOS upgrades, particularly if we are talking about 3 or 4 iOS versions. Unfortunately keeping your iPad on an earlier version becomes harder and harder, Apple nags you to upgrade, newer apps won't work with older iOS versions, older versions have bugs that can be exploited and won't play nice with newer iOS versions. Sure if you have an iPad dedicated to drones, only drone related apps, you can freeze everything, not upgrade, never connect to the internet, no problem. When I fly for DroneDeploy, I have to have my iPad on the internet to download the mission. So the whole hacking thing gets very difficult to maintain, every time you turn the thing on it's trying to "upgrade".

Also I cannot find the older Inspire 1 firmware .bin files, so manually downgrading by copying the firmware to an SD card, putting the card in the camera and booting the drone will not work. Anyone know where to get the older firmware?

Thank you

Your photo
1577488471810.png

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa