Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Wind limits... Tested.

Reaction score
I drove and hour and 15 minutes to a remote location to do an all day outdoor event yesterday. It was a good payer, so I had to do it. The winds were howling at I'm guessing 30mph with gusts to 35-38 ish. To give you and idea, there were times when I was trying to film flying sideways into the wind, and ALL the stick was planted to the right/left and I was loosing ground. I had to yaw back around, facing forward into the wind to regain my position. And even then, 16 sats would not hold position, I had to lean the right stick at 30-35% to hold. Defiantly a level 10 difficulty day. I ran 11 flights throughout different parts of the afternoon. Before you flame me for any safety issues, the only one at risk was the i1 itself. Overall, I was impressed at what this bird can take.
Expo's were set at 0.40 across the board, altitude and brake at 100%. After I got home, this tornado passed within a 1/2 mile of my house. It was quite the nerve racking day!!image.jpg

I drove and hour and 15 minutes to a remote location to do an all day outdoor event yesterday. It was a good payer, so I had to do it. The winds were howling at I'm guessing 30mph with gusts to 35-38 ish. To give you and idea, there were times when I was trying to film flying sideways into the wind, and ALL the stick was planted to the right/left and I was loosing ground. I had to yaw back around, facing forward into the wind to regain my position. And even then, 16 sats would not hold position, I had to lean the right stick at 30-35% to hold. Defiantly a level 10 difficulty day. I ran 11 flights throughout different parts of the afternoon. Before you flame me for any safety issues, the only one at risk was the i1 itself. Overall, I was impressed at what this bird can take.
Expo's were set at 0.40 across the board, altitude and brake at 100%. After I got home, this tornado passed within a 1/2 mile of my house. It was quite the nerve racking day!!View attachment 1764

Yeah it's a great bird in the wind. You can get jello if shooting flying sideways to the wind though, as the dampers compress and can let more vibrations through to the camera.

I have slightly softer gains set but I'd probably bump them back up in very windy conditions like that.

Reactions: Highrpm955
I've flown in similar conditions down in Dunedin. GPS couldn't hold bird in place against the wind. Still, she handled beautifully. I expected a lot of useless shots due to vibration/jello, but had perfect footage. That said, I fly mostly in Atti, so when ever possible I fly up wind and let her drift back while my cam opp gets the shot. Even the shots fighting the wind came out perfect. I love this beast!!:D

ATTI mode gives a little more speed for fighting wind, both the phantom and inspire handle wind well. This is going with the wind, top speed ive achieved so far with inspire 1, haha!

Screenshot_2015-05-07-12-42-37.png

i will never update my firmware, i dont want to lose abilitys and acquire new bugs, lol! Every update so far that i know of has introduced more problems and restrictions than previous problems it fixes. No thanks!

And yes, i live in the middle of nowhere, no commercial traffic at all so I exceed suggested limits from time to time, always safely of course, with a careful eye for any other traffic.

i will never update my firmware, i dont want to lose abilitys and acquire new bugs, lol! Every update so far that i know of has introduced more problems and restrictions than previous problems it fixes. No thanks!

So, are you using v1.2.1.0 or v1.2.1.03? - 1.2.1.0 has a bug in it that causes sporadic shut down/turn off of your remote control

And yes, i live in the middle of nowhere, no commercial traffic at all so I exceed suggested limits from time to time, always safely of course, with a careful eye for any other traffic.

Glad to hear it :)

So, are you using v1.2.1.0 or v1.2.1.03? - 1.2.1.0 has a bug in it that causes sporadic shut down/turn off of your remote control

Glad to hear it :)
I have 1.2.0.17, which has sporadic loss of gps signal and occasionally causes a major spin while traveling forward and attempting a very slight turn, barely pressing the control stick. Somewhat annoying but in my opinion much less so than the next firmware versions which cause sudden battery percentage drop from 60 to 0 percent that causes the inspire to fall out of the sky and crash as well as adding many many more no fly zone restrictions, limiting video channels from 32 to 8 and shortening flight range.

I have 1.2.0.17, which has sporadic loss of gps signal and occasionally causes a major spin while traveling forward and attempting a very slight turn, barely pressing the control stick. Somewhat annoying but in my opinion much less so than the next firmware versions which cause sudden battery percentage drop from 60 to 0 percent that causes the inspire to fall out of the sky and crash as well as adding many many more no fly zone restrictions, limiting video channels from 32 to 8 and shortening flight range.

Unfortunately for you and others with like minds, the next firmware update may well be mandatory. Your Inspire will be grounded unless updated.

I am not saying it is right or wrong - just a heads up that some versions WILL be mandatory. At some point your Pilot app will 'phone home' (Internet connection) and if a certain time frame is reached with no connection being made it will lock down the aircraft. (I am not going into the rights or wrongs of that philosophy).

These are for safety related updates.

Unfortunately for you and others with like minds, the next firmware update may well be mandatory. Your Inspire will be grounded unless updated.

I am not saying it is right or wrong - just a heads up that some versions WILL be mandatory. At some point your Pilot app will 'phone home' (Internet connection) and if a certain time frame is reached with no connection being made it will lock down the aircraft. (I am not going into the rights or wrongs of that philosophy).

These are for safety related updates.
maybe, maybe not. Leaning towards the not personally because without updating the app theres no way it can change its current behavior and force you to update firmware before allowing you to fly. Ive been flying about 3-4 months with the firmware update required message so far which is somewhat annoying but far less so than the restrictions and bugs that the new firmware causes. However if it does happen to prevent me from flying until i update, which i think is highly unlikely, then i guess ill just have to start flying with a non internet connected device or find some hacked custom firmware to maintain current functionality :D If you fly without internet connection it says its normal, it doesnt know theres an update available. FYI

maybe, maybe not. Leaning towards the not personally because without updating the app theres no way it can change its current behavior and force you to update firmware before allowing you to fly. Ive been flying about 3-4 months with the firmware update required message so far which is somewhat annoying but far less so than the restrictions and bugs that the new firmware causes. However if it does happen to prevent me from flying until i update, which i think is highly unlikely, then i guess ill just have to start flying with a non internet connected device or find some hacked custom firmware to maintain current functionality :D If you fly without internet connection it says its normal, it doesnt know theres an update available. FYI
But you need internet do cache maps!
I am well aware of the restrictions and firmware revisions to date as well as the new firmware features which is yet to be released but should have been on June 15th.

It's your Inspire................................

for what its worth im in no way advocating unsafe flying, I suggest everyone use a little common sense and be safe out there. I personally just dont want some buggy crap chinese software limiting me arbitrarily. I like to be in full control and if worse comes to worse ill stop using DJI products which i think have some awesome positive features but also some major problems as well as piss poor customer service and ill go full custom build to not have do deal with the BS restrictions and buggy software.

To put it in perspective for you maybe and dont take it personally, no offence. Just trying to explain my position to you, for example I absolutely hate the traction control and electronic throttle controls on newer vehicles these days. while they do offer some positive safety benefits for inexperienced novice drivers in certain situations they cause problems in other situations for both novice and expert drivers alike when they unexpectedly take over and change vehicle behavior.

I dont know where you live or what you drive but Im in the Northern USA and for example they will often cause you to get stuck in snowy or muddy conditions where a vehicle without traction control would go right through it. The electronic throttle isnt always as consistent as the older vehicles where the pedal connected to the carburetor mechanically. Sometimes when you mash the pedal with the electronic throttle control system it takes off and other times theres a slight delay which if youre driving aggressively/defensively, trying to cross a busy intersection with no traffic light, merge or pass someone with a small window of opportunity can be very bad if your vehicle doesnt respond and behave as you expect it to. Sure you can be a nancy and say you should never drive aggressively and fair enough but please understand my point and realize sometimes emergency situations require quick action to avoid disaster. If you expect something to behave a certain way when you give it an input command and it doesnt do so for whatever reason it can be bad.

Maybe im just old school but in my opinion I just like to be in full control of whatever im operating. Ill take full responsibility for my actions rather than rely on the software nancy controls which arent perfect by a long shot. In the case of drones the RTH or fly itself features just arent smart enough yet and they will run into things, not to mention the huge inaccuracy of gps. You better have a 30+ft wide open space if you plan to use RTH auto landing features. I never do as I usually land in a much smaller space(the bed cover of my truck) and the GPS is so far off it would crash into something or land in a bad spot.

But you need internet do cache maps!
I am well aware of the restrictions and firmware revisions to date as well as the new firmware features which is yet to be released but should have been on June 15th.

It's your Inspire................................
you can cache the map independent of the dji pilot app, with google maps anyway on android. not familiar with how crapple works. You can also fly without any cached map data, it doesnt affect flight, its just slightly annoying with an empty white box down in the corner and if you go back and look at your flight records and they have no map location data. not really a significant problem or required feature to fly, but its a pretty cool feature that it tracks flight locations IMO. Still quite buggy though, im my version at least, or maybe since i switched micro sd cards, but not all of my flights are listed. over half are missing, even ones with the current card being used. More buggy software/firmware issues. I dont think i ever synced them very often with my original card either, thought it was automatic. Might have to insert it again and see if they are still on there, cant remember if i formatted it or not. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry