Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Workflow question...

Reaction score
My question is for those of you that fly commercially or serious hobbyists. It’s about video storage and what seems to work best for your workflow.

When I was an Avid editor many years ago I would offload tape (yeah I know lol) and store it on the server with the date first and then the location and possibly additional parameters. With everything being digital this seems much easier now! I was thinking of doing the same thing with an pair of 8TB external storage drives. One for storage and one copied nightly as backup.

For instance: 2.15.18.Islamorada.FL.Beach.Footage.mov

This will allow me to search and find Beach, FL, Islamorada, or even the date if I knew when it was...? I also have a separate folder for each of my drones...not sure if that’s really needed?

I’d like to know what you are doing.

Thanks!
Scott

3 x 8tb internal drives. 3 x 8tb external drives for monthly off-site backup. 1 x 8tb drive for daily backup.

Top level folders are the project numbers with a new one being assigned to each new client project. Below that I have a folder for each camera source/file format. i.e. I2MP4 I2DNG I2JPG, etc. This allows me to accommodate identical file names that you can end up with when using several DJI/GoPro/Canon products on the same shoot. I guess this is the same as your system with separate folders for each drone?

I then have a Premiere folder for video edit related files, ‘JPG Selection’ folder for the processed DNG/CR2/RW2 still images and ‘client’ folder for client supplied material.

It works for me but I don’t suppose it will fit many peoples requirements.

Reactions: Way2Fst4U
Other than far more storage, we set up pretty similarly. I really need to start making client/project folders too. I've been using the new iMovie and trying to move away from Premiere Pro, but it's so clumsy...maybe it's just my old brain. I miss my Avid workstation. Too bad that thing would never have edited 4K footage like this little Mac mini is...haha. And it was close to 10 grand. LOL! Thanks for the insight.

Have they stopped making Avid? I haven’t head about it for a while but I presumed all the pro’s would still be using it?

Have they stopped making Avid? I haven’t head about it for a while but I presumed all the pro’s would still be using it?
Oh no, it's still a viable editor, I just want to make some money, or at least schedule jobs out before I make that kind of investment every month as it's a paid subscription ($50/mo or $1300/yr).

Reactions: MrTVR
Forget file name conventions. Use metadata and cataloging. In the meta data for the clip you enter all kinds of data and keywords then use the search tool to search easily without having to look through file names and remember where you put stuff or how you named it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdolphBonn