X5 motion blur

Yes.. you are right. 60i is interlaced so there shouldn't be any judder at all. 60P is best i think. Im in Pal land so we shoot 25P or 50P.
But you will lose circa 30% resolution shooting interlaced due to the Kell factor.

Class is in session!

So I guess in summary, buy the I1+X3 (V2.0) and wait for next gen...I2?
Or wait and see how the X5R fairs but I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people out there.
The problem is, until DJI admit they know nothing about cameras and utilise the expertise of the likes of Sony or Panasonic, or any other video camera manufacturer who has been in the film/broadcast game for a while they will continue to pump out half baked attempts at cameras and then have to back peddle hard to fix their inadequacies.
I love the Inspire, it's a great multirotor but the imaging device hanging off the bottom is a case of "it is what it is" and we just have to make the most of it.

Reactions: gruvpix
I just wish DJI would focus their R&D into areas that filmmakers and photographers actually care about vs. trying at all costs to get drones in the hands of every yokel with a thousand bucks. You can tell they have completely shelved all X5 related fixes/releases to focus everything on the Phantom 4... Which in and of itself is an underwhelming addition to the product line. Still no Osmo adaptor, still no fix for default sharpness, still no mention of X5R release... We haven't even had a FW update in three months. Obviously the company recognizes they can make more $$$ from releasing completely new products, but in the long term I think DJIs half baked releases and endless unfulfilled promises will catch up to them.

Reactions: The Editor
I still think it's crazy people compare the x5 to x3 as if they are equivalent. It's not even possible to get the same shots due to fov and lens selection. It's a lot harder to make a flight controller than a camera. Look at the relative fortunes of GoPro and Dji (when they "split" Dji started making cameras and GoPro started making drones. I think the x5r will be great and putting the heavy lifting into post is a very good thing.

Fortunately, I'm not a videographer. I bought it for still photography, be it artistic or industrial, and it seems to do well at that. And a reasonable option when seeking something to shoot 50-90mm. Considering the alternatives of hanging a 5d III from an octocopter and an expensive gimbal, I'm pretty happy with the choice.

x5 smokes my gh4 I was using on a phantom so I ain't complaining.

I stand corrected about the X5 cam but I was more about how progressive works on a pro camera. I shoot the X5 as I do all progressive cameras so thought that was the cause of his judder problems.
It stands to reason that a pro camera costs 15k upwards so we cant expect too much from the X5.

Dude... Chill out mate... We all now know you make lots of money shooting commercials for many years, and you are not interested in the technical side of things that's all fine with everyone I am sure... But it neither makes you sound professional or care about what you do for a living.

You know, many people visit forums trying to learn new techniques and improve their understanding in complex matters. If you have no real understanding or simply never bothered to look into the subject you are replying to, please don't make bold statement or giving out misleading information. I have had such experience and had to jump through many hoops before learning the actual facts and that's a really painful process!
Thank you for your understanding.

Dennis - nobody is 'picking' on you. You seem to have a very touchy response if anyone dares criticise you or corrects you.
If somebody knows more about a subject than you, accept it, learn from other folks and be gracious.
I believe the reason people are getting fed up with some of your comments is everytime anyone makes a statement or posts on here you appear to jump on the thread and either say that it wouldn't be allowed in Australia or you are going to report them to the FAA etc. Alternatively, you constantly tell people you have been making TV commercials for 20 years and then go on to say how much money you make!
I know from the reports I have been receiving this is what other members are growing tired of.
I am sorry if that has struck a nerve and I am happy to continue this conversation via PM but please, please chill out a little and listen to other peoples views and comments.
Nobody is "out to get you" or "picking" on you, this is an community of vastly differing demographic literally reaching all corners of the world so please listen to other people who may have a better understanding of things or more experience than you.
Thank you for your understanding.

Unfortunately, you have just cemented everyone's opinion by writing your last post.

Unfortunately, you have just cemented everyone's opinion by writing your last post.

I have to agree... I enjoy these posts/interactions from a schadenfreude perspective....!

I tend to believe that if you are the best - you don't have to tell everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying the badass talk about who has the biggest gonads. But I'm confused about why the term progressive is even being discussed. Is it 1995?

And not to be pedantic but the imager does take whole frames. It passes them to the SOC that then employs a compression algorithm (e.g. H.264) that throws a lot that away through clever dark magic creating a mix of full and differential frames so that it can all get written to storage. I won't pretend to know all the details.

How that is relevant to motion blur, I am not particularly sure. I think posts about frame rate, temporal motion, double or higher shutter speeds and the 7 second rules are far more informative to the original question.

Just checked out your work -- nice stuff.

Reactions: ianwood
@DennisR I know it's tough to internalise criticism and turn it into something positive. Simply put, if you think every thread you're part of turns against you then maybe there is cause to look at yourself and not consider everyone here to blame. 99% of us are hobbyists or professionals like you and all manage to get on.

No need for name calling.

I do wish you the best.

P.S - I have a job.