Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5s 15mm sharpness?

It does look a bit soft. Here is a jpg from one of my last properties for comparison shot with the 15mm.

Attachments

• DJI_0069.JPG
    DJI_0069.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: roblevine
I have the same observation. I've been applying the following sharpening to my 1.7/15mm DNGs in Lightroom: amount = 100, r = 1.5, detail = 50. The result appears acceptable, without too much over-sharpening artifacts.

Also had to constantly remind myself to adjust expectations of what comes out of a MFT system.

I'm gonna. Also gonna look back at some older pictures. Seems like they always need a little sharpening. Part of the problem might be that I am a professional photographer and am used to super sharp pix coming from my Nikons.

Have you fixed this issue? It looks like something similar when you turn your sensor way down. (iso100) I have seen this on a couple of nikon DSLR's. I found the native (sweet spot) that the sensor has and the soft effect went away. It did it on my x5s as well. I usually keep it in the 400-800. This may be something totally different, but maybe another step.

Regards,

Mark

Have you fixed this issue? It looks like something similar when you turn your sensor way down. (iso100) I have seen this on a couple of nikon DSLR's. I found the native (sweet spot) that the sensor has and the soft effect went away. It did it on my x5s as well. I usually keep it in the 400-800. This may be something totally different, but maybe another step.

Regards,

Mark
Wow thanks for that - I don't remember having an issue like this with my Nikons. So 400-800 best huh? Someone above said 200, which is what I've been using...

thanks, its kind of like turning it wayyy up and getting a ton of noise. (hot spots) If you have to bring it down due to overall brightness in the scene, start with a circular polarizer which reduces a lot of bounced ambient and makes things really pop! other than that if it is really bright (snow in sun or similar, put a ND filter on it. **note- don't stack filters as they may end up in your frame of view vignetting the image.

Regards,

Mark.

thanks, its kind of like turning it wayyy up and getting a ton of noise. (hot spots) If you have to bring it down due to overall brightness in the scene, start with a circular polarizer which reduces a lot of bounced ambient and makes things really pop! other than that if it is really bright (snow in sun or similar, put a ND filter on it. **note- don't stack filters as they may end up in your frame of view vignetting the image.

Regards,

Mark.
Yeah - if I can avoid it I don't use ND filters. For stills, no problem. You're paying a lot for that lens - why put something in front of it :)

No didn't try another one. I just did a test...I'll post the results. Would be nice if we had some common target to shoot at so we could compare notes.
This is a raw image - just as it came off card - comes out to 40MB in DNG format. ISO 200, f4, 15mm lens. Drone was landed at the time. Focus was on the truck.
http://www.dropmn.com/images/iso200_f4.DNG

Is it the only lens you have? I don't use the DJI lens, I use Panasonic GX, Panasonic Leica Summalux, & Sigma lenses. The only one I have any issue with out of focus shots is the GX, it's a (very) little slow on center focus.

Have you tried manual focusing?

A common subject could be a face at a set distance or the calibration plate that comes with the aircraft.

Is it the only lens you have? I don't use the DJI lens, I use Panasonic GX, Panasonic Leica Summalux, & Sigma lenses. The only one I have any issue with out of focus shots is the GX, it's a (very) little slow on center focus.

Have you tried manual focusing?

A common subject could be a face at a set distance or the calibration plate that comes with the aircraft.
I'd always heard that the DJI 15mm is a good lens...I bought the bird used and no calibration plate - I'll see if I can download. What do use use for the same field of view as the 15?

I'd always heard that the DJI 15mm is a good lens...I bought the bird used and no calibration plate - I'll see if I can download. What do use use for the same field of view as the 15?
Panasonic G X A.S.P.H 14mm-42mm power zoom. you can control zoom from GO4 or the focus wheel.

I run a kinda crazy setup...

The calibration plate is for after a crash or something.

It's decient you're not moving much. I'm planning on getting a Panasonic leica 12mm lens when I get around to it. I mostly do mapping, surveying, & inspections. it's where the money is...
Soft edges you can get away with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu