Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X7 camera for mapping and 3d pointclouds

Reaction score
Website
www.aerialandlaser.com
Hi All

Anyone used the 24mp stills from the x7 with Pix4d, DroneDeploy or MME.

Using the I2 with the X4 which has Mech Shutter and getting pretty good results, just wondering whether the results from the X7 were that much better it would justify the costly upgrade

Thanks

George

I’ve been told mec shutter is best for mapping. Rolling shutter not as good. I’ve been mapping with an x5s and will purchase an x4s for mapping because of some trouble wth flights over 250 images. Has to do with accumulation of error with the rolling shutter. IMHO

X7 is primarily a cinema camera. It’s still performance isn’t as sharp as you’d think because of the (very good for video) anti-aliasing filter. But I have no experience using it for mapping.

I have found the X3 and then the X4s to be better for mapping than the more complex bigger brothers such as the X5 and the X7. That is mainly for mapping landscapes, but I have had great results using the X7 for highly detailed photogrammetry of structures with the 35mm lens enabling close detail without having to actually fly to close. I use Agisoft Photoscan. I would not say though that the extra cost of the X7 is justifiable as the X4s is still the main survey tool.

Hi All

Anyone used the 24mp stills from the x7 with Pix4d, DroneDeploy or MME.

Using the I2 with the X4 which has Mech Shutter and getting pretty good results, just wondering whether the results from the X7 were that much better it would justify the costly upgrade

Thanks

George

New reply to old thread... little late to party.

The X7 is just like the X4S, and the P4P... all are mechanical under 1/2000. The X4S is the exact camera within the P4P. Shouldn’t be compared to the X5S, different creatures; the X5S is a rolling shutter, not the X7.

The X7 has been stated as soft, I don’t beleive that’s accurate. It‘s used in several scenarios of still photography, taking advantage of the FF35 sensor an EV. It is a killer cinema camera, well established; but it’s also an awesome still camera able to produce extremely sharpe images. I have minimal exposure to the X7... time to play & learn minimal. But I’ve read and chatted to several with the X7, and it sounds like the best of both worlds... which is why I purchased eventually. Add the sharp Leowa 9mm to the 4 lens Pak, nice setup!

That said, I mainly use the X4S for stills, then the X5S for a video loop of site. Still experimenting with the X7 setup.

My unexpected surprise was the physical size of the camera and the behavior of some map survey collection apps. (In comparison to the X5S, it’s substantially bigger.) The MME by default wants to pitch the camera 90 down prior to lift off... also doesn’t want to Pitch upwards on mission end consistently; Makes no difference on smaller X4S or X5S cameras. Although on X7, results in ground contact if pitched down. I’ve played with the options, and it still wants to pitch down at times... Doesn’t contact elements, but still not desired. I need to examine the settings more and within other apps... my point was the size of payload and pitching down isn’t like the smaller payloads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool