Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X7 Support for Apple ProRes RAW + exFAT File System

Reaction score
Website
www.advexure.com
Today DJI has announced two new exciting updates for the X7 and Inspire 2.
  1. The first firmware update offers 14-bit CinemaDNG recording and will be available in late April 2018.
  2. A second firmware update offering Apple ProRes RAW support and the newly added exFAT file system will be available in late May 2018.
Both firmware updates are free as a download through DJI Assistant 2 or the DJI Go 4 mobile app, while the 14-bit CinemaDNG and ProRes RAW capabilities are only available to those with a CinemaDNG license.

Read more at DJI here: DJI Updates Zenmuse X7 Camera With Support For Apple ProRes RAW

This is great news. I'll reserve judgment on the ProRes RAW & 12bit upgrade until I get a chance to test it. But moving to exFAT out of the gate, is a wonderful improvement in post-processing and file management.

Reactions: Advexure
Wow, are they really making prores raw an x7 only update? And only with the cinema dang license not the prores? Smells kinda fishy...

The only thing DJI are interested in is ....

... profit.

If they were wanted to be a decent, customer focused, company then they wouldn’t keep using the ‘coming soon’ tag to trap more gullible punters ...

Today DJI has announced two new exciting updates for the X7 and Inspire 2.
  1. The first firmware update offers 14-bit CinemaDNG recording and will be available in late April 2018.
  2. A second firmware update offering Apple ProRes RAW support and the newly added exFAT file system will be available in late May 2018.
Both firmware updates are free as a download through DJI Assistant 2 or the DJI Go 4 mobile app, while the 14-bit CinemaDNG and ProRes RAW capabilities are only available to those with a CinemaDNG license.

Read more at DJI here: DJI Updates Zenmuse X7 Camera With Support For Apple ProRes RAW
i dont supose that would include x5s ? update

To be fair, the sensor in the X5S might not be capable of providing 14 bit data but they could certainly provide the Prores RAW upgrade for the X5S if they wanted.

I see support for 23.976 frame rate. Any idea why? Are we really going to be limited to only one frame rate?

exFat for the ssd on x5s would be fantastic. Especially as the original promos said exFat compatibily for ssd.

It is a real pain managing each take in its own folder.

I guess dji thought it was easier to know which takes had gone to multiple files.

I would almost have accepted it if they had provided a merge utility for post flight file management.

I hope they get ride of the folders once we get exFat.

The files have unique names so should be fine for file management.

Reactions: MrTVR and Advexure
To be fair, the sensor in the X5S might not be capable of providing 14 bit data but they could certainly provide the Prores RAW upgrade for the X5S if they wanted.

You're right... it was the Prores RAW feature and exFAT I was referring to in my rant. Those should both make their way to the X5S with ProRes license.

Reactions: Hellohogo
final cut pro x is available from 08/04/2018 according to apple site dji x5s is compatible

Not sure if you are referring this article (Final Cut Pro X update introduces ProRes RAW and advanced closed captioning) or another but nowhere that we have seen does Apple note X5S compatibility with ProRes RAW. DJI Pro reps at NAB also do not believe X5S will be compatible. As @MrTVR mentioned, the sensor of the X5S may not be suitable for 14 bit. We are not sure as of yet but should have a definite answer in the next 24 hours.

Premiere already supports ProRes, so I think its only a matter of time before ProRes Raw is supported as well.

already record with the new (raw prores) with what program I see it

Final Cut only at the moment
Premiere already supports ProRes, so I think its only a matter of time before ProRes Raw is supported as well.
I would not hold my breath. Some say it could be a year before Apple releases the codec licence to other NLE software makers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop