Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1.6 YAFU (Yet Another Firmware Update)

I believe DJI have got the whole theory behind this fundamentally wrong.
They could have limited the power simply for the first 30 seconds or so after the aircraft has taken off in cold conditions. This would allow the battery to warm up sufficiently and then the FW could allow full throttle.
I personally think this would have been the best course of action and a sensible compromise of idiot proofing v functionality but DJI appears to go knee jerk once more and only want to satisfy the Radio Shack/Maplin Electronics crew.
I am going to sit this update out......I have no need for a nanny piece of code to tell me to take it easy in approaching zero degree weather.
The NFZ restrictions are bad enough but for a commercial operator to additionally be limited both by temperature and power seriously questions whether the Inspire can now ever be used as a professional tool of work again.
I live in ohio and thought this update would help, after reading this thread,How do i revert to previous firmware?????

1I am having problem updating my inspire. Is there a new way to update? My dji app says its needs upgrade.. Help

It's the same as it's been since ver 1.4. Download and extract the bin file to the root of the micro sd and put it in the camera to update the bird, camera and batteries. (Leave the controller and Go App off while you do this). Then update your Go App through Apple Store or Google Play store (Android) and then run the new app and turn on your controller and the app will update the controller. Do the same for the slave if you have one. You may have to reset your slave controller to be a slave as sometimes it reverts back to a master.

thanks , I did just that , just doesn't work.... can you update from the go app?
Only the controllers can be updated from the Go App. What doesn't work? Please give a description of what you are doing and what is happening (or not) so we can help you troubleshoot. Doesn't work is way too broad a place to start!

i place sd card in , and turn it on , remote is turned off , bird doesn't beep like its in up dat mode

i place sd card in , and turn it on , remote is turned off , bird doesn't beep like its in up dat mode
Make sure the bin file is there at the root of the card directory and there are no other bin files on the card. Check the log file on the SD card to see what it says about the upgrade (errors etc.)

True but its either self inflicted reduced performance and a conscious desicision to go easy on the throttle in cold conditions (as anyone familiar with lipo performance in lower temps knows) or a forced reduction in performance preventing the 'fly out of the box let's see how high it goes' brigade pushing their packs to the limit and then bleating that their RPAS fell from the sky and how it just couldn't have been their fault. :rolleyes:
What we are finding is that with each successive update, DJI are pandering to the 'I haven't got time to read the manual - I just want to fly' idiots and in doing so there will be less and less self education and more and more of the 'Well it said it was safe to fly so I did' attitude. (We have seen it already on this and other forums).
I agree with what you said regarding those who will bleat about things that are likely going to be their fault. But, the reality of things is this is a RTF piece of gear and those who would not previously wanted to take the time to build a non-RTF have quick access to these things and will do exactly what you say. There isn't a substitute for years of RC building and flying experience...so I think it's appropriate to put in software safeguards for the newer flyers. Hopefully, they have programmed in the appropriate parameters.

i will revert to fw 1.4 or lower. haven't had any issies with lower fw versions. will also be able to disconnect gps without error and fly where i like.
why don't we or dji make a ground school mandatory for those who buy or get a drone for xmas. line when buying a porsche, you will get a drivers training to get familiar with the car you bought. i feel it is insane to "punish" all for a few that are not informed or did not take the effort to get into the topic and know the possible issues line in case of low temp etc. if could do a research or just ask more experienced pilots /rc inthusiasts why can not other do it and stay safe to do their hobby.
i a. sure i am missing something.
no offense to anyone ment. please see this as my sole opinion and nothing else. i see it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with you on the above thought...curious as to what version app your running...older Pilot app or newer Go app? And am I correct in my thinking that the NFZ lock out is in the FW for the bird or is there limitations in the newer Go app versions?

Make sure it is formatted fat32 if you do.

Technically, it should be formatted exFAT32. I wouldn't recommend forwarding the SD card outside of the Inspire if you don't have to.

-Format SD card with the Inspire
-Remove SD card and insert into PC/Mac
-Copy BIN file from extracted ZIP file of required firmware to the root of the SD card (do not put it in a folder, just in the root of the SD card)
-Insert into Inspire's camera and power on

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying a different SD card.

Reactions: B Dog
I've just updated all ok but in first test flight which was indoors the opti system was struggling to hold it's position and this is over concrete in the same area I do all my testing and it hasn't had any troubles holding position before. The other odd behavior was an error on the app screen saying the motor was obstructed. I was just hovering and the motor looks all ok.

I would caution flying the new FW (1.6.0.40) in strong wind conditions. I was struggling to control mine today in 9-10m/s winds and almost experienced a flyaway. Despite turning into wind and applying full right stick forward I was not able to counter the wind drift in P-GPS mode. I had to reduce height and switch to ATTI to regain control. PS. Air temp was 9C.
That's really poor, I won't be updating, as I fly a lot over open water I can't wait for the wind to be onshore just in case there's a problem. Thx for sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi