Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

1 motor died suddenly

Reaction score
I was really having a great time with Inspire, its so stable and locked in. Today i flew again amy #8 flight and was very nice (which I hate myself because i forgot to turn on the recording!). After flew, i landed for a while. and when i was arming the quad again to take off, one of my motor didn't spin. and it was so hot! I turned it off wait for it to cool down, took of the props, and try to spin it without power, its a bit heavier than the other 3. I tried again to arm, and still this motor doesn't spin, tried to trigger spin it softly but it stays very hard, gets very hot very fast.

Anyone has any idea of what maybe happen? it was no problem before. I tried to blow the motor just-in-case there is any dirt or something but no result, besides, the motor holes are so tiny so am not sure something big enough can get in and block the motor. had similar case before with my TBS Disco and it turns out it was a failed ESC. hopefully it was nothing like that with my lovely Inspire...

Looking forward for any advice... and worst case, I got this one from a local dealer, should I contact DJI support directly or better contact my dealer first and he should arrange the rest?

Hey asaerong..I think you're going to need to send it in..I'm guessing you had a motor or esc failure ..
contact dji la if you're in the US and tell them what happened. .got a feeling they will have you send it in..
mine is there as we speak. .chilling. ..
make sure you ask for a return shipping label !!
They will not offer one..
make sure you get your e mail and password correct or you'll get locked out of your account. .like me..
also be prepared to do a lot of waiting on hold..hours...
You'll need to fill out a customer information sheet. .it's just simple information, but must be printed from your e mail account and put in your box with your RMA number that they will give you..
seems to be best to call right when they open..other operators have figured this out so be patient. .
if you have any questions or need any help with the process hit me up...turbodronepilot. .

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Or skip all that and return it and get another one if possible. ..
hope you didn't buy it from all e rc. .their return policies suck ..
buy from amazon or copter shop.. then you're in good hands..

thanks for the tips Turbodronepilot, unfortunately am not in US but Indonesia, got the Inspire from a local dealer, sad to know that i have to send it in, and waiting during shipping, fix, transit again. all in all probably its going 2 or even 3 months i guess. not to mention, the cost of shipping it (that's fine i guess it's my consequences but then gotta be hit by import tax again when it's back!).

Good quad, but for an almost $3k then broken with no apparent reason that's starts to worries me. thank God it's not while in the sky...

ps. what's the return shipping label for?

To
thanks for the tips Turbodronepilot, unfortunately am not in US but Indonesia, got the Inspire from a local dealer, sad to know that i have to send it in, and waiting during shipping, fix, transit again. all in all probably its going 2 or even 3 months i guess. not to mention, the cost of shipping it (that's fine i guess it's my consequences but then gotta be hit by import tax again when it's back!).

Good quad, but for an almost $3k then broken with no apparent reason that's starts to worries me. thank God it's not while in the sky...

ps. what's the return shipping label for?
To pay for your shipping. .if your dealer pushes you off to dji China or wherever repair station you're near you'll need to ask them for a shpiping label that they will send to your email. .. I would ask them for compensation for your import export tax ..
If this is possible your chance will be after you get it checked in.. then you can make the request and or ask for some kind of compensation. .free gear ..discouts on future purchases. .whatever you can get to offset you additional expenses. .
I don't understand about exporting stuff and the amount of time it takes ,but on thier end it will be aproxamently 3 weeks..
Stay positive and before you know it you'll be back in action. .
maybe Tahoe Ed or blade will help you out if you ask them ...
Tahoe Ed sent me my customer information sheet. .I thought that was cool..I don't know if he inquired about my inspire, ,but I hope so..
seems like they are hit and miss depending on who you are ..just my opinion. ..

great info, let's hope Tahoe Ed can share me the customer info sheet as well in case i need to contact DJI directly. Still waiting from my local dealer response - they're quite respected dealer (www.e-hely.com) and saw with my own eyes they sells lots of Inspire already (though not sure whether they're in the list of DJI officials), hopefully they're willing to take (or at least help) on this.

In the meantime, will still trying to blow my motor either by mouth or vacuum cleaner (blow instead of suck), still a great hope that maybe it's just a dirt stucked in it :) be positive.

Tahoe Ed, Blakestrike, (hopefully they read this) care to share further advice?

great info, let's hope Tahoe Ed can share me the customer info sheet as well in case i need to contact DJI directly. Still waiting from my local dealer response - they're quite respected dealer (www.e-hely.com) and saw with my own eyes they sells lots of Inspire already (though not sure whether they're in the list of DJI officials), hopefully they're willing to take (or at least help) on this.

In the meantime, will still trying to blow my motor either by mouth or vacuum cleaner (blow instead of suck), still a great hope that maybe it's just a dirt stucked in it :) be positive.

Tahoe Ed, Blakestrike, (hopefully they read this) care to share further advice?
I suggest signing up for rcgoups.com. .
under the inspire 1 owners thread you will find Tahoe Ed and Blade Strike. .
then you can pm them..(personal message )
Also a good place for information regarding drones and alot more is on phantom pilots.com. ..
Feel free to pm me over at the other forums under turbodronepilot ..

yup i am in rcgroups as well (user: asae) for inspire and strider 250, but mostly active in fpvlab for tbs disco. I posted the case in the inspire forum in rcgroups but haven't pm Ed and Blade S yet. My dealer has responded and i need to send it to them to do some test (switching motor/esc) to find out whether its really the motor or esc, and i guess they will help taking care in doing RMA to DJI. again thanks for the tips on the process. cheers.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
You might have gotten some FOD in one of the motors, do you take off and land on a tarp or packing blanket? or just straight on the ground?

Sounds like a bearing binding or failed if its hard to turn by hand. Could be a piece of crap lodged in the motor or maybe even one of the magnets come off the housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Hi asaerong, were you able to repair your motor or get a replacement? I'm also in Indonesia and my Inspire 1 seems to have troubles with two motors (seems like sand got inside) - was wondering how it goes with the DJI service here...

We found a piece of foam, from carrying case in one of the engine's compartments on a pre-flight inspection... I would imagine that the melted foam in the brushless motor can damage it. Make sure to inspect your aircraft before each flight.

@bunyan, unfortunately no... still grounded. Even the dealer can't help. And amazingly, still no spare-parts at all 'till to date. Too bad because it's flies really well, and now ended up as a very expensive door stopper now. Thanks DJI, totally a lesson's learned for me.

Andy from hascomagicsky.com said they've ordered spare Inspire 1 motors from DJI and they should probably arrive soon. I managed to clean my motors from sand by myself but then my I1 died on firmware update, so it's also sitting here in its case. DJI support said I needed to send it back to them for the repair so I'm waiting for a further update from them or the dealer.

I was really having a great time with Inspire, its so stable and locked in. Today i flew again amy #8 flight and was very nice (which I hate myself because i forgot to turn on the recording!). After flew, i landed for a while. and when i was arming the quad again to take off, one of my motor didn't spin. and it was so hot! I turned it off wait for it to cool down, took of the props, and try to spin it without power, its a bit heavier than the other 3. I tried again to arm, and still this motor doesn't spin, tried to trigger spin it softly but it stays very hard, gets very hot very fast.

Anyone has any idea of what maybe happen? it was no problem before. I tried to blow the motor just-in-case there is any dirt or something but no result, besides, the motor holes are so tiny so am not sure something big enough can get in and block the motor. had similar case before with my TBS Disco and it turns out it was a failed ESC. hopefully it was nothing like that with my lovely Inspire...

Looking forward for any advice... and worst case, I got this one from a local dealer, should I contact DJI support directly or better contact my dealer first and he should arrange the rest?

Try these links!!
http://1uas.com/DJI-Inspire-1-3510-motor-CCW?search=Inspire 1

http://1uas.com/DJI-Inspire-1-3510-motor-CW?search=Inspire 1

Choose and pick, I do believe they're in stock... Good Luck!

do you see the motor even try to spin at ARM? if not then it would be the ESC, if there was crap in there, but you can still turn it by hand, then you would expect it to move when powered by the ESC, a short between two wires of the motor can cause it to be heavier to turn than others, this would also fry the ESC.

do you see the motor even try to spin at ARM? if not then it would be the ESC, if there was crap in there, but you can still turn it by hand, then you would expect it to move when powered by the ESC, a short between two wires of the motor can cause it to be heavier to turn than others, this would also fry the ESC.

The motor stick very hard not moving. found out that the wire was burned. not sure why, might be something got inside. What am afraid is that it also hit the esc because of the burned motor (can it?) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429622149.524784.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that looks like a very localised short, can you tell if the wire had made contact with the metal housing of the motor? it seems to be rather close to it.
the wire is covered in an enamel coating, if that has rubbed on the motor body due to vibrations etc over time then the coating may have worn off and caused a short.

if it was overheating in general you could expect all the wire to be more or less equally black.

I would expect the ESC to have had some issues as a result of this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters