Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

107 Pilots - Wavier for Night Flights

Reaction score
Greetings 107 Pilots,
I have been unsuccessful getting any wavier for night flights through FAA. What am I missing?
Tried following the
  • Flying at night (§ 107.29)
Performance Based Critera:

Performance Base Flight Criteria will be used in performance of this mission:

1. Establish a communication path with ATC in restricted airspace via VHF frequency/channel. If phone number is available include it in your briefing.
  2. Brief all team members proper radio protocol.
  3. Brief customer on “No Fly Criteria” and get acknowledgement
  4. Brief customer on “Flight Termination Criteria”
  5. Perform aircraft pre-flight and verify latest flight software, update if required.
  6. Establish on-site weather station for wind direction and velocity
  7. Final checks before flight:
    1. Flight Observer (FO)
      1. VHF radio channels for local ATC
      2. Record wind direction and velocity
      3. Check for turbulence obstructions in local are
    2. Pilot In Charge (PIC)
      1. Verify latest flight software
      2. Calibrate IMU if necessary
      3. Load finalized flight plan (Litchi / Google)
      4. Verify altitude is correct
      5. Configure camera to customer specs
      6. Coordinate with FO to power up aircraft
      7. Take off and climb to 10 meters and confirm Return To Home (RTH) executes.

It's a game with the FAA (contractors mostly, not real Feds). Rewrite your application like your audience is a 5 year old, explain everything in its simplest term. Imagine you are explaining your operation to a person with an IQ of 65. Example: "Brief all team members proper radio protocol." Now, how would you explain the radio protocol to a child w/ diminished capacity then write each step down. It is not possible to oversimplify with the feds....Never use 5 words when 20 are better.

I am serious, that is the only way you are going to get through with this mickey mouse process. Some take two and three tries. Don't give up. Good luck.

If you PM me I'll give you my application....

Reactions: niki
It's a game with the FAA (contractors mostly, not real Feds). Rewrite your application like your audience is a 5 year old, explain everything in its simplest term. Imagine you are explaining your operation to a person with an IQ of 65. Example: "Brief all team members proper radio protocol." Now, how would you explain the radio protocol to a child w/ diminished capacity then write each step down. It is not possible to oversimplify with the feds....Never use 5 words when 20 are better.

I am serious, that is the only way you are going to get through with this mickey mouse process. Some take two and three tries. Don't give up. Good luck.

If you PM me I'll give you my application....

Hey Casa Grande,
That is good info. I did submit again today with much more details, but the FAA application website will not take graphics in a PDF!!

Greetings Casa Grande,
Thanks for the wavier info, I have been plowing through it but still have questions you might have answers.

1. Is the strobe only for LE or does FAA 107 require (but vaguely state in rise management) it?
2. Catch 22 - How can you do night crew training when I cannot get a wavier?

Any thoughts?

Greetings Casa Grande,
Thanks for the wavier info, I have been plowing through it but still have questions you might have answers.

1. Is the strobe only for LE or does FAA 107 require (but vaguely state in rise management) it?
2. Catch 22 - How can you do night crew training when I cannot get a wavier?

Any thoughts?
1. The strobe is required by 107.29.
2. Two ways to answer that; Crew training is not required before they issue the waiver, but you are committing to do it before operating under the waiver. And lots of crew training can be conducted in daylight or twilight, thus waiver is not required.

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Really appreciate your help, reading the risk handbook and adjusting my risk assessment for night flying.
Wish I had met you a year ago - Your help would got me there a year earlier....Thanks again ! !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop