Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

3d modelling

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to try and make a 3d model of my Farther house - he is a retired surveyer and would love it.

I have had a look at pix4d which looks great but is very expensive! Are there any cheaper alternatives or trial versions worth looking at or should I pay for a month of pix4d.

It will be flown with an Inspire if that make any difference?

Cheers,

Mike

Hello,

I wanted to try and make a 3d model of my Farther house - he is a retired surveyer and would love it.

I have had a look at pix4d which looks great but is very expensive! Are there any cheaper alternatives or trial versions worth looking at or should I pay for a month of pix4d.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike,
You could try AutoDesks 123D Catch. It's free but limited to 60 images, or it was, I don't use it but did try it a year or so back.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Autodesk Remake is another alternative. My first foray into 3D scanning was for a gimbal arm to recreate with ShapeWays aluminium printing. I used 123D Catch which was okay but limited in terms of number of photos and the one I tried was an iPhone app, so used the camera phone. ReMake and others will allow photos from other sources.

I've only dabbled the once but want to get back into it when I have time. There's quite a bit of choice, mainly I think, whether you want to push the photos up to a cloud-based service and have them do the grunt work, or install software to have the freedom to process the photos yourself - something that's likely to take longer. If the software is paid/subscription and it's for a one-off, a cloud-based service might be better.

let us know what you decide and how it goes - good luck.

Sorry - poor description on my part!

I was to fly the Inspire round his house and produce a 3d rendered version he can view on his PC and move around with the mouse.

That was why I looked at Pix4D.

Sorry - poor description on my part!

I was to fly the Inspire round his house and produce a 3d rendered version he can view on his PC and move around with the mouse.

That was why I looked at Pix4D.

123D Catch is fine for this and free. There is a PC version as well. Pix4D is a bit of an overkill for this imo.

UK PFAW holder
BNUC-S qualified

Hello,

Cheers,

Mike
You can download and use Pix4D for a free trial period. Download it, dump your photos in the cloud and they will even render it for you. Keep the final product. We bought the full meal deal and love the program. You get what you pay for.

I did this with a trial (free) version of DroneDeploy. An initial overhead grid in drone deploy, followed by a couple of rotations around the 2 main structures using the DJI Go app and manual shutter clicks. Then just throw the whole lot at DroneDeploy to crunch on their cloud (using their 'structures' beta software). The software is clever enough to position the pictures regardless of how they were taken but you are limited to 1gb of images to upload. It was just a test, but you can see the potential. The water tower didn't come out because I ran out of battery before I could do a manual loop around it.

Nelson Ghost town Western Barns

Double click the model to set the rotation point, zoom in/out with the mouse.

Thanks for the info - lots to try out when the weather improves

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I did this with a trial (free) version of DroneDeploy. An initial overhead grid in drone deploy, followed by a couple of rotations around the 2 main structures using the DJI Go app and manual shutter clicks. Then just throw the whole lot at DroneDeploy to crunch on their cloud (using their 'structures' beta software). The software is clever enough to position the pictures regardless of how they were taken but you are limited to 1gb of images to upload. It was just a test, but you can see the potential. The water tower didn't come out because I ran out of battery before I could do a manual loop around it.

Nelson Ghost town Western Barns

Double click the model to set the rotation point, zoom in/out with the mouse.
Ive tried Pix 4D, Maps Made Easy and Drone Deploy..the latter is a defininte winner..try it for free and follow the the above flight patterns...easy as pie

Ive tried Pix 4D, Maps Made Easy and Drone Deploy..the latter is a defininte winner..try it for free and follow the the above flight patterns...easy as pie
Hi fellow norn ironer! Mapping apps are definitely not what is required here. DD can be a personal choice but not a definitive winner. It does not have terrain awarness for example. It does have however the advantage of acute corners in defining the area. I digress OT. The point is its not a map that is required it is a 3D model. It's a matter of picking the best tool for the job.

As the OP described the subjuct as a house it needs oblique shots, 1 shot every 2 seconds arround 2 orbits at different altitudes, the higher one slightly closer in taking in more of the top view of the roof, the lower orbit around gutter height. Use Litchi, Autopilot or the likes for the best results.

Have fun!

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeL and rapakiri

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP