Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A Beautiful Day at the Lake... and a Gun Threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Out at the lake today putting in some stick time, shooting some b-roll for an MDA gig coming up next month. Had a terrific time and the Inspire did a fantastic job. After 6 batteries I took a break and slummed around waiting for the sun to start setting. As I waited, a killdeer decided I was too close to its nest nestled somewhere below the point I was standing on. It tried in vain to get me to follow it, chirping loudly and executing a perfect "My wing is broken!" pose. I talked to he/she for a few minutes in a soothing voice hoping to calm its nerves. Of course, it didn't work. Oh well...

Sunset started around 8pm CDT and I took to the air. My goal was to make a few passes toward the sun with a tilt down at the water in the beginning of the run, and a slow tilt up. By this time there weren't a lot of boats on the lake. What few craft were on the water were of the pontoon variety. Nonetheless, I took advantage of them and attempted flyovers, silouetting them against the fiery disc. After a couple of passes over several different craft, I did a turnaround in hopes of getting one more shot out of my last battery. As I watched the bird return, I noticed that one of the pontoons I'd flown over was pulling in close to my shore location. When the operator stopped just off shore from me, he asked "Does that thing have a camera?" I replied in the affirmative. In a very serious tone he said, "I'm going to get my gun." My response... "Why? I'm shooting watersports activities." He retorted with "I don't want my picture taken". I laughed. "I don't even know who you are, let alone I can barely make out what you look like from here!" The douchenozzle didn't respond. Instead, he went to leave and found that he'd essentially beached himself in the shallows. After a minute or so of gunning his motor, he was off to the other side of the lake. I finished up the last couple of minutes on my battery and then landed.

You can see the star of this drama in the pic below. Well... You can see a pontoon. I'm flying in a State Park, from the marina I keep my Regal 30 Express Cruiser at, and my truck is marked with my aerial company logo. The whole thing was extremely amusing. Sure, the guy could have got his gun and shot the Inspire or me. But, if he had... He'd have gotten his picture taken anyway... by the cops. :)
vlcsnap-2015-04-25-21h43m32s8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersgirl
what a diva... people should stop bitchen around and ask normally if the video or pic is reconizable and if yes one can also politley ask to not use it or make the person unidentifyable... no?
i would do it like this in case that would happen... just normal... or am i speacil thinking?

Out at the lake today putting in some stick time, shooting some b-roll for an MDA gig coming up next month. Had a terrific time and the Inspire did a fantastic job. After 6 batteries I took a break and slummed around waiting for the sun to start setting. As I waited, a killdeer decided I was too close to its nest nestled somewhere below the point I was standing on. It tried in vain to get me to follow it, chirping loudly and executing a perfect "My wing is broken!" pose. I talked to he/she for a few minutes in a soothing voice hoping to calm its nerves. Of course, it didn't work. Oh well...

Sunset started around 8pm CDT and I took to the air. My goal was to make a few passes toward the sun with a tilt down at the water in the beginning of the run, and a slow tilt up. By this time there weren't a lot of boats on the lake. What few craft were on the water were of the pontoon variety. Nonetheless, I took advantage of them and attempted flyovers, silouetting them against the fiery disc. After a couple of passes over several different craft, I did a turnaround in hopes of getting one more shot out of my last battery. As I watched the bird return, I noticed that one of the pontoons I'd flown over was pulling in close to my shore location. When the operator stopped just off shore from me, he asked "Does that thing have a camera?" I replied in the affirmative. In a very serious tone he said, "I'm going to get my gun." My response... "Why? I'm shooting watersports activities." He retorted with "I don't want my picture taken". I laughed. "I don't even know who you are, let alone I can barely make out what you look like from here!" The douchenozzle didn't respond. Instead, he went to leave and found that he'd essentially beached himself in the shallows. After a minute or so of gunning his motor, he was off to the other side of the lake. I finished up the last couple of minutes on my battery and then landed.

You can see the star of this drama in the pic below. Well... You can see a pontoon. I'm flying in a State Park, from the marina I keep my Regal 30 Express Cruiser at, and my truck is marked with my aerial company logo. The whole thing was extremely amusing. Sure, the guy could have got his gun and shot the Inspire or me. But, if he had... He'd have gotten his picture taken anyway... by the cops. :)
View attachment 1349
Hey RJ..
I've seen a picture of you and it surprises me that anyone would be that dumb act like that to you..
I guess the guy thought he was a tough guy cause he had a gun..
I'm pretty sure you would have broke it off in his 6...
turbo. ..

Last edited:
Not true. As the President said the other day, where else in the advanced world would people resort to guns to solve their problems?

Really? What's advanced? UK for example? Of course we don't have a gun problem do we!? :rolleyes: And on my theory you don't need to have a gun or any weapon to be an a******, I stand by my previous statement!

it is a tool in some way... no? a screw driver can also be a leathal waepon when you stab some one with it... ok a gun can not be uswd for home improvment lol... but still, it is a tool in some kind of way...
why do they take away your little nail siscors at check when you go onboard??? bc they think it is a weapon on could use... but!!! - on board you get a steel knife and fork... what sense does that make???
everything is a tool as it is invented for a purpose... what one does with it is a different question...
just my opinion no offence meant and not trying to be ignorant. appologies for any mental harm i may have caused :)

A GUN IS NOT A TOOL. IT IS A LETHAL WEAPON AND SHOULD NEVER BE FREELY AVAILABLE.
So is a screwdriver, a car, a kitchen knife, a rake, etc etc.

Anything can be used as a lethal weapon. Even the use of a bare hands can be considered as a lethal weapon. Don't believe me? Ask these guys...
tumblr_mw7nu3L5Ji1rewusno1_500.gif

... Americans are constantly fed the fairy tale that magazines have infinite bullets that don't kill, I am not surprised that you are able to use such pathetic justifications for your beliefs.

The first part of that comment is simply not true. It's also an indication of someone who is uninformed and doesn't live here in the US and who doing nothing more than regurgitating sound bites they've heard elsewhere.

Regarding the second half of the statement, what makes you think your uninformed justifications and unfounded beliefs are any less pathetic?

Oh, and by-the-way, firearms are indeed a tool, whether you recognize the fact or not. One's ignorance on the topic can hardly be considered factual evidence to the contrary.

EDIT: Tool: a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function.

Reactions: Djeszelda
That is Hollywood. It is NOT real!! But as Americans are constantly fed the fairy tale that magazines have infinite bullets that don't kill, I am not surprised that you are able to use such pathetic justifications for your beliefs.
Unfortunately you are the one in a fairy tale dream. You certainly want to do battle and spout out some anti-2a statement like you did really shows your knowledge base there.

Hey RJ..
I've seen a picture of you and it surprises me that anyone would be that dumb act like that to you..
I guess the guy thought he was a tough guy cause he had a gun..
I'm pretty sure you would have broke it off in his 6...
turbo. ..

:D Yeah. I sometimes wonder about some of the douchenozzles I come across from time to time. But, I have to assume that in the fading light of the day, he didn't really get a good look at me. He was about 30-40' away from me. Nonetheless, I may look scary, but I'm a teddy bear with most folks. I'm afraid, in this particular case, I wouldn't have been cuddly if he'd been stupid enough to confront me after actually seeing me.:mad:

We get some stupid crap like that now and then in upstate`the NY......I am looking forward to moving to the Fl Keys. My sons live there and film every other day and everyone is cool about it. I am glad you were cool,thats the best response, if he pushed it further I would have pulled out my AR(AR_15) box and changed his mind.

So, if you were on a pontoon boat, passed him and took his picture he would torpedo you?
What makes one think that because the camera is in the air there's some ominous difference.
If he doesn't want his picture taken he should hide in a closet.
If he's in the wide open spaces he's fair game.
You're on vacation taking pictures on the beach. You need permission from everyone in the shot before you post to Facebook? Certainly not.

So, if you were on a pontoon boat, passed him and took his picture he would torpedo you?
What makes one think that because the camera is in the air there's some ominous difference.
If he doesn't want his picture taken he should hide in a closet.
If he's in the wide open spaces he's fair game.
You're on vacation taking pictures on the beach. You need permission from everyone in the shot before you post to Facebook? Certainly not.
This is happened to me a few times and its very upsetting. Last time, I ended up getting vertigo out of the ordeal and Im licensed. I had sign made up and now place it where I am to let people know Im working and not just there to spy on them. people are strange.

Much of this madness is media induced and I see little chance this will change anytime soon. The funny thing is many/most media/news outlets use drones themselves and you'd think they'd be able to connect the dots, but no, the hysteria about drones is popular and therefore they continue to promote the hysteria.

It is amazing how even smart people can buy into the hysteria and act, reflexively, to attack anyone using a drone as if they were part of ISIS or a paparazzi looking to sneak a compromising photo of them. It's as if the average Joe somehow thinks they're Taylor Swift or something and being hounded by the paps.

Brian

Reactions: damoncooper
I have done some TV interviews on the drone topic and the "me me me " reaction these people have is silly. They are so small in the video they could not tell if it was them by looking at it!
and to top it off "hey you are not that interesting" we were filming something else.......not you.
I just filmed a fireworks show the other night, great crowd reaction everyone was so cool and amazed at tech gear. After one hillbilly type dude was joking"yea I could shoot that down easy"
"yea" I said "but if my camera is this high tech... you should see my gun collection ( also a Costa Ludis grad just guessing but I bet I am a way better shot).
What the heck makes them think just because its flying around its fine to shoot at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa