Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A little bummed

Reaction score
Website
www.charleshidalgo.com
Ive been using my pilot app with my iphone 5s and 6+ with no problems and bought an ipad mini2 and its having freeze up issues from almost nothing to 4 or 5 seconds or more. I thought for sure it could handle it and I know it should. It's brand new out of the box and used just for the pilot app. Ive disabled app refresh also.

What's the chip in the mini? Thought I saw a thread that said the dji pilot app needs the A7 chip and some of the minis come with A5. Sound like freeze source to me?

Reactions: turbodronepilot
My Mini2 works very well, and according to the specs it has theA7.
It should work without problem.

I use the iPad Mini 2 as well and I have not experienced any issues with the Pilot App.

Ive been using my pilot app with my iphone 5s and 6+ with no problems and bought an ipad mini2 and its having freeze up issues from almost nothing to 4 or 5 seconds or more. I thought for sure it could handle it and I know it should. It's brand new out of the box and used just for the pilot app. Ive disabled app refresh also.

Make SURE it ACTUALLY is a Mini 2[emoji15]! Not going to go into detail or point fingers, but depending where you bought it, it very well maybe a refurbished or returned product. More importantly it's all about the "Chip and Retina Display". As mentioned, "A7chipset or better" and would suggest in the General Settings to "Enable Hardware Decode"..

As future reference when purchasing apple products make certain your product is authentic. Go to settings, General, and click ABOUT! Model Number, Serial Number and other information are readily available. Problem with resale or refurbished is the possibility of NOT having what is specified on the box or detailed descriptions... Just throwing this out there as this HAPPENS in speedy sales.. Just throwing caution to the WIND[emoji6]

Make SURE it ACTUALLY is a Mini 2[emoji15]! Not going to go into detail or point fingers, but depending where you bought it, it very well maybe a refurbished or returned product. More importantly it's all about the "Chip and Retina Display". As mentioned, "A7chipset or better" and would suggest in the General Settings to "Enable Hardware Decode"..

As future reference when purchasing apple products make certain your product is authentic. Go to settings, General, and click ABOUT! Model Number, Serial Number and other information are readily available. Problem with resale or refurbished is the possibility of NOT having what is specified on the box or detailed descriptions... Just throwing this out there as this HAPPENS in speedy sales.. Just throwing caution to the WIND[emoji6]
Thanks for that info. Yeah I kind of know my way around computers as I have been in IT for over 15 years and programing since I was 14 (I'm now 45). I kind of know Apple as well as one of the first programming languages I learned was Pascal which was a primary language used by Apple early on. The ipad was purchased from an Apple store and was returned for another and it is working fine now. I was mostly bummed that all my apple products have worked so well since 2007 and this is the first one I had to return. I guess I should have been more clear from the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: PB30X and Queen1944
All great advice for any purchase.

One thing that's good is you cannot install the Pilot App unless you have a Mini 2 or greater. I experienced this first hand when my office ordered the Mini instead of the Mini 2. This is controlled by Apple though the App Store based on DJI's stated minimum hardware requirements. AFAIK, people are not able to fool Apple into thinking they're on a different device at this time so if you're able to install the App, you have at least a Mini 2.
Actually this is not true. I have installed it on my original ipad mini but the lag is unbearable. Technically it can be done though.

Have you turned on hardware acceleration in the Pilot App? A7 needs it and makes it much smoother with less lag.
How do you turn on the hardware acceleration? I have a Mini 2 and have terrible lag time.

How do you turn on the hardware acceleration? I have a Mini 2 and have terrible lag time.
57d89a7bb66c88ba17c99587207fe915.jpg

General Settings and Enable Hardware Encoding[emoji6]

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop