Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Adding Polarizer to ND Filter

SMD

Reaction score
I'm flying an Inspire 2 typically with either a 15mm or 45mm lens. I already purchased and use a bunch of Formatt Hightech Firecrest ND filters (IRND). Couple of questions: I'm looking to add a Polarizer into the mix. It really is a must-have. Can I stack a second Firecrest Filter (that would be the Polarizer) to either of the above mentioned lenses without any balance / gimbal issues? Which Polarizer would you recommend?

If using it with the 15mm, remove the balance ring or if already removed, remove the plastic hood and see if it balances then.
With the Oly 45mm, you may have to add a coin to the rear of the gimbal.
Fun-tak works good for this.
xxxic.jpg
With the camera powered off, camera should stay anywhere you point it without dropping forward or rearward.

If using it with the 15mm, remove the balance ring or if already removed, remove the plastic hood and see if it balances then.
With the Oly 45mm, you may have to add a coin to the rear of the gimbal.
Fun-tak works good for this.
View attachment 14947
With the camera powered off, camera should stay anywhere you point it without dropping forward or rearward.
Thanks for the reply

I am using ND filters on both my 12mm and 45 mm lens but see no need for use with stills. Doing over the water straight down shots of migrating salmon and definitely need the polarizing filters. Any suggestions?

Reactions: ianwood
There are Firecrest polarizers too. I have one but haven't used it yet. It should stack fine, with the caveat that any time you stack filters you increase the risk of reflections between them. I have stacked 2 Firecrest ND filters to test and didn't see an obvious problem though.

These are pretty light filters, so although you would ideally balance the polarizer out on the back of the camera, if you're only using it occasionally you probably don't have to if you don't want to bother.

If you want to balance it perfectly, the Fun-Tak AeroMirage mentioned is probably one of the easiest ways.

Does completely balancing the lens give better results, longevity? I have a 45mm that is slightly off balanced with one of my UV filters.
I have not noticed a difference in performance or temps.

There are Firecrest polarizers too. I have one but haven't used it yet. It should stack fine, with the caveat that any time you stack filters you increase the risk of reflections between them. I have stacked 2 Firecrest ND filters to test and didn't see an obvious problem though.

These are pretty light filters, so although you would ideally balance the polarizer out on the back of the camera, if you're only using it occasionally you probably don't have to if you don't want to bother.

If you want to balance it perfectly, the Fun-Tak AeroMirage mentioned is probably one of the easiest ways.
Do you have the Ultra Slim Firecrest Polarizer? Seems like that would be the one. My 45mm Oly seems to be working well with the step-up filter and Firecrest ND (no need for any counter balance on the back of the camera). The balance seems to be fine. Even though I shoot flat sometimes the sky or water or clouds look terrible. I'm a long time editor so I can go into post and work the footage pretty hard especially with secondary color correction and grading but it's a lot of work. Really hoping the Polarizer works well on the X5S.

Reactions: joeeagle
Does completely balancing the lens give better results, longevity? I have a 45mm that is slightly off balanced with one of my UV filters.
I have not noticed a difference in performance or temps.
I would think over time the better its balanced the less strain on the gimbal. Just makes sense to me. I read a lot of pilots with great results balancing 60mm and other variable zoom lenses. I wonder if that will cause a problem down the road. The shots can be pretty epic though

Reactions: cvanhoose
Do you have the Ultra Slim Firecrest Polarizer? Seems like that would be the one. My 45mm Oly seems to be working well with the step-up filter and Firecrest ND (no need for any counter balance on the back of the camera). The balance seems to be fine. Even though I shoot flat sometimes the sky or water or clouds look terrible. I'm a long time editor so I can go into post and work the footage pretty hard especially with secondary color correction and grading but it's a lot of work. Really hoping the Polarizer works well on the X5S.

I have the SuperFlim Firecrest Polarizer
shown here: Firecrest Circular Polarizer
This one is the thinnest and lightest of the two with no front threads. It mounts well to the Firecrest NDs that I have as well. The balance is off a small amount with the ND+POL combination. Not having it in balance does put extra load on the gimbal. You will need to decide whether it is more than you are comfortable with.
The other thing to check is that whether the Polarizer is messing up the sky on shoots, especially with wider angle lenses.
Chris

As suggested by Aeromirage, if u remove the hood & balance ring from the standard DJI 15mm lens, you can then use a very high quality B+W glass polarizer, it balances perfectly. When aligned correctly it knocks 2 stops of your exposure. Hint: I have filed a small mark on the filter rim to indicate the top of the polarizer so you can ensure that it's rotated correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst