Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Altitude Limit on Inspire

It's got nothing to do about allowing it or not, it's the max altitude above sea level you can fly at.
You can take off on top of a 4500m mountain, but not on top of the Everest, the air would be too thin to fly.

Reactions: sirnikolas
I have seen several discussions around the limits of altitude above the take off point. Is there a max elevation on the Inspire? What is the highest anyone has taken off and flown at?

I understand flight times, etc would be impacted. I was going to try my Inspire out at 12,000 feet but didn't get a chance after all.
I typically fly my P2 above 5k feet, as I live on the Front Range (in CO). Whenever I fly at sea level, I get much better flight time, performance, etc.

T

This has been covered many ,many, many times previously.....
The Inspire has a software controlled ceiling of 500meters FROM IT'S TAKEOFF POINT.
That means if you took off from Everest Summit (although you couldn't because the air would be too thin) you could climb to 500m above Everest.
If you took off from the bottom of a 500m deep canyon you could climb level to the canyon rim - and that's it.
Any height between 1 meter and 500 meters is able to be set by the user to limit the Inspires altitude.
The exception to this (with the latest firmware release) is that if no GPS reception is present the Inspire is automatically limited to 122m/400ft above take off point.
I hope that clarifies things.

I think there is some naming convention problem.. in the aviation world, 'Altitude' is always related to the Average Sea Level, whereas 'Height' is always related to Ground Level.

So a craft flying 400' above a 400' terrain, would have a 400' height and a 800' altitude. Maybe the DJI manual should use only height and not altitude (unless they want to really talk about sea level).

Reactions: DennisCox
I think there is some naming convention problem.. in the aviation world, 'Altitude' is always related to the Average Sea Level, whereas 'Height' is always related to Ground Level.

So a craft flying 400' above a 400' terrain, would have a 400' height and a 800' altitude. Maybe the DJI manual should use only height and not altitude (unless they want to really talk about sea level).
My post was unambiguous. If I (or DJI) were referring to height above sea level you would see ASL suffixing a number.

Well, what I was trying to mean is that many people (including DJI) seem to say altitude when actually they are meaning height (at least according to aviation standards, where Altitude is always ASL, you will never hear a flight controller ask a pilot if his altitude is ASL or AGL).

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum. I'm seriously looking into purchasing an inspire. After watching many videos and reading forums it seems this height limitation is an issue for lots of people and could be a deal breaker for others looking to purchase one.
I'm dont want to get into any problems when using it in areas that may be questionable. The whole reason I want to buy one is to survey and certain mountain in new mexico. Once off the main highway it takes several hours of trail driving to reach the base of it. The mountain has very sheer cliff edges and would be a challenge for even a pro to climb. I think in this situation I should be allowed to bypass these limitations.
I have developed android ROMs in the past and the solution seems very easy but I would need someone to test my theory before I pull the trigger on buying one myself. If someone is interested let me know and I can give more details. I think a test just 5 meters or so above the limit should be a sufficient test.

I'm new to this forum. I'm seriously looking into purchasing an inspire. After watching many videos and reading forums it seems this height limitation is an issue for lots of people and could be a deal breaker for others looking to purchase one.
I'm dont want to get into any problems when using it in areas that may be questionable. The whole reason I want to buy one is to survey and certain mountain in new mexico. Once off the main highway it takes several hours of trail driving to reach the base of it. The mountain has very sheer cliff edges and would be a challenge for even a pro to climb. I think in this situation I should be allowed to bypass these limitations.
I have developed android ROMs in the past and the solution seems very easy but I would need someone to test my theory before I pull the trigger on buying one myself. If someone is interested let me know and I can give more details. I think a test just 5 meters or so above the limit should be a sufficient test.

i am in for it. used my phone until i got fed up and got lyswlf an iphone but still have my android. pm me and explain what i should do once i get the file.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry