Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Another bad publicity story...!!! Come on people!

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Came across this story this evening! I have a feeling the facts are being stretched a bit as full scale operators are just looking to shut us down all together, but no matter, any publicity like this true, or stretched isn't good for us!!! We have got to get rid of these idiot rogue fools who have no business flying any camera machine no matter the size before they shut us all down!

http://m.kirotv.com/news/news/faa-i...ying-near-news-helicopte/nkYk7/#__federated=1

Great, more idiots that can screw it up for the rest of us.... I hate to say this but it won't be the first nor the last.

Mark

It's really sad to watch some stupid person be so careless and not take other people's safety into consideration (the helicopter pilots and people on the ground if he did manage to collide with one of them and bring it down). Further more, stupid people taking steps to completely ruin it for all the rest of us that take extra, extra steps to be safe and responsible while flying. I don't even fly over populated areas/neighborhoods for this reason. If my Inspire or P2V+ just happened to go down and crash into someone's car/personal property, or even worse, slam into a person and kill them, it would be careless manslaughter at best and there would be nothing you could do to change what you just did. It's just not worth it.

This just sickens me! How stupid do you really have to be? Honestly!
He either knows the risks and did it anyway...or he's too stupid to understand the risks...I'm not too sure which is worse.

I sincerely hope they crucify his ***. Take away the drone, ban him from owning one, and levy fines that equals reckless driving...but in some way that could tie in with the two helicopters in the air, and all the ground traffic as well.

Reactions: ropewalker
The only thing that's more ridiculous than that guy doing what he did, knowing there's traffic in the area & that traffic being a news helicopter that has high powered video cameras on board is, the FAA's failure to see the urgency in regulating sUAS to prevent the POTENTIAL of these situations in the first place. I can only conclude that the FAA is not concerned primarily with the safety of our national airspace, their primary concern is somewhere else. Where? Let the speculation begin...

Reactions: flyingclint
There have been several posts of this forum...Inspire 1 owners...who tell us that they have the right to fly as high as they want...as far as they want...and that the government or anyone else has no business interfering. It is extremely frustrating to hear morons like this with their rhetoric. Is 400' to 500' not high enough? I am perfectly happy working within these parameters.

There have been several posts of this forum...Inspire 1 owners...who tell us that they have the right to fly as high as they want...as far as they want...and that the government or anyone else has no business interfering. It is extremely frustrating to hear morons like this with their rhetoric. Is 400' to 500' not high enough? I am perfectly happy working within these parameters.

Yeah, it's completely ridiculous! Anything above 400 is useless footage for what we are looking to capture IMHO! Idiots going rogue and choosing to do whatever they want only hurt it for the rest of us 99% flyers who fly safely! We need to police ourselves in this way and help get these morons out of the hobby/business...!!!

dji is doing that by imposing these range restrictions. i think it is very sensible, and is probably directly to appease the FAA and others. These days you can't be a billion dollar industry and not take your social responsibilities seriously. Like it or not this is a mass consumer device now - not the reserve of RC types.

At least it won't be an inspire 1 that is up at 1500' - unless people hack it.

It's amazing the difference in conversations I have now compared to when I built my first quadcopter. even friends say "you've got a drone?!" now, or "how's the view through your neighbours bathroom window" etc. It's just fun jibes, but it is caused by a very tangible shift in public perception about what these things are, and what they're used for. Everyone has an opinion on them now.

I'm 'fortunate' enough to have had enough incidents with old quads to respect the dangers properly. I won't fly near people, and I take things very cautiously. I can't imagine ever taking it beyond line of sight - unless the worst that can happen is that I lose my quad. I don't want to be hitting people or their property.

dji is doing that by imposing these range restrictions. i think it is very sensible, and is probably directly to appease the FAA and others. These days you can't be a billion dollar industry and not take your social responsibilities seriously. Like it or not this is a mass consumer device now - not the reserve of RC types.

At least it won't be an inspire 1 that is up at 1500' - unless people hack it.

It's amazing the difference in conversations I have now compared to when I built my first quadcopter. even friends say "you've got a drone?!" now, or "how's the view through your neighbours bathroom window" etc. It's just fun jibes, but it is caused by a very tangible shift in public perception about what these things are, and what they're used for. Everyone has an opinion on them now.

I'm 'fortunate' enough to have had enough incidents with old quads to respect the dangers properly. I won't fly near people, and I take things very cautiously. I can't imagine ever taking it beyond line of sight - unless the worst that can happen is that I lose my quad. I don't want to be hitting people or their property.

I have to agree with perception being really bad. Today I was flying at Chatsworth House (Derbyshire, UK) which to me is a great building in its architecture and has great looking lands around it. So as I was thinking about how nice it would be to appreciate this from the air I have a security tell me after 20 mins of flight that I could be spying into the property or I could be spying in general.... But everyone on the ground with cameras that can see more than the I1 can are fine.

Even the security guard (who was just the messenger) was impressed with it and understanding. But used key words like 'terrorism' 'spying' 'dangerous'

Even with responsible flying and insurance.

Anyway videos of people like this aren't really helping things and it will mean reason and logic won't mean a thing when trying film interesting things and places

yes it's a real shame. It basically means only flying in areas where you're pretty sure you have permission. fortunately for what I want to film, mostly, that is achievable.

I got told off for scaring sheep the other day. probably fair I suppose.

yeah it was! for what it's worth - i was about 30m in the air - it's not like i was chasing them round the field low level. But they did run off when they heard the noise and somebody said "don't do that with the farmer around, or he'll come out with his shotgun". :)

makes you think that this is people's property and livestock etc. treat it with respect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth