Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Another near miss event - A380 @ 5000ft

The name calling isn't stopping this. So how do you stop folks from continuing dumb stuff? A pamphlet inside that RTF box right next to the Rc but sales wouldn't be the same now would they? If buyers knew they couldn't fly near people or get that cloud shot.
Guarantee you it wasn't a AGRAS MG-1 its not for recreational use out of my league it's built to do a job. Now you have 5K toys that fly 12k ft straight up. Rock solid performance. With the exception of redundancy the MG-1 does. But who knew. Hard to tell a person what they shouldn't do with it now.
Safety vs a booming business. I'm on the money trumps everything else side.

If it was up to me I'd be forcing the Faa to get they act together. IMHO that's what some are doing. They just don't speak for me is what I hear.
Why would the firmware allow 1 to fly so high? To wait to see who gone do it first? Most likely just so they can fine/tax you when you do.

100ft high 200ft distance should be the max:mad: Stop all the b.S:cool:
want none get sold:eek:
So that ain't gone happen:D

Later that day that same 'drone' landed in the park and ate someone's picnic leftovers then cleaned out some old lady's bird feeder before returning once again to the skies to terrorize aircraft as a 'drone'.

Reactions: The Editor
Did the drone appear on radar? If so did they have a flight profile of it before and after the incident? A balloon is going to rise, follow the air currents and when it descends it will do so miles downrange. Radar may not be able to follow the flight from liftoff to touchdown, but it should see enough of the flight to rule out a drone if it's range was dozens of miles.

Brian

Did the drone appear on radar? If so did they have a flight profile of it before and after the incident? A balloon is going to rise, follow the air currents and when it descends it will do so miles downrange. Radar may not be able to follow the flight from liftoff to touchdown, but it should see enough of the flight to rule out a drone if it's range was dozens of miles.

Brian
Drones are invisible to radar without transponders.

If it was up to me I'd be forcing the Faa to get they act together. IMHO that's what some are doing. They just don't speak for me is what I hear.
Why would the firmware allow 1 to fly so high? To wait to see who gone do it first? Most likely just so they can fine/tax you when you do.

100ft high 200ft distance should be the max:mad: Stop all the b.S:cool:
want none get sold:eek:
So that ain't gone happen:D

Those restrictions would be awful

Drones are invisible to radar without transponders.

A drone is going to be much harder to see on radar but not impossible if at 5000 feet. A balloon of decent size may also be seen on radar and again, at 5000 feet it's much more likely to be seen that at 400 feet.

Without a transponder the radar would not have accurate altitude info.

Brian

Seriously, remember the drone strike a few months back...Turned out that drone had feathers...

You mean this one?

Where the pilot reported a drone strike at night @ 800' pitch darkness?

The same one who called the local news and beating his chest that it was a drone then the FAA came out 3 days later saying that it was a drone with blood and feathers.

Attachments

• 726292127044872.jpg
    726292127044872.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
A lot of pilots have a hardon to get drones banned and none more so than helicopter pilots. It might not matter all that much that they're proven wrong as they still get the word out that it was a drone.

Brian

Reactions: slim.slamma
Not sure how fast an A380 is going 14 miles out from landing but its take off speed is 175 mph. If we assume that it's around 250 mph (or 366 feet per second) this far out from the runway and assuming it was a Phantom size drone, the pilot has less that 2 to 3 seconds of viewing time to pick out a drone that's 200 feet away (above, below or laterally), with an approach speed of 366 feet per second, then he's got better eyes than I've got. Ever watched the shadow of the passenger jet your are flying in, race past fields, houses etc as you land? Try to imagine your quad copter is flying that fast, 200 feet away from you and you've got 2 to 3 seconds to identify it. I think not.

Reactions: Outta Control

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko