Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Germany Any tips for operations in scyscrappers area?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am certified pilot with 2y experience however tommorow I have job that require flying in the very center of big city where there is a lot of scyscrappers that I need to film (150m and higher). I will start from the platform that is lcoated on 32 floor in one of the building. I am wondering if any of you where operating the drone this way or fly in such crowded area. Any advice? Is there really a high risk of loosing signal because of the interfrence from many antenas, wi-fi and others? Is there any other threats I should take into account before start?

I am planing to:
- setting RTH attitude as the highest obstacle in the area
- do not fly behind the buildings to prevent loosing signal
- is the radio signal range dicreased in that kind of areas ?

Any tips and advice from experienced pilots are very welcomed :)

Best regards!

Hi everyone!

I am certified pilot with 2y experience however tommorow I have job that require flying in the very center of big city where there is a lot of scyscrappers that I need to film (150m and higher). I will start from the platform that is lcoated on 32 floor in one of the building. I am wondering if any of you where operating the drone this way or fly in such crowded area. Any advice? Is there really a high risk of loosing signal because of the interfrence from many antenas, wi-fi and others? Is there any other threats I should take into account before start?

I am planing to:
- setting RTH attitude as the highest obstacle in the area
- do not fly behind the buildings to prevent loosing signal
- is the radio signal range dicreased in that kind of areas ?

Any tips and advice from experienced pilots are very welcomed :)

Best regards!

I have no experience in what you're about to do. I could only do this if I had such an assignment and all the permissions and preparations involved. And that's not happening very often.

But I would say that the radio signal will be OK as long as you keep it in line of sight.
However, I suspect there will be a lot of signals coming from roof antennae, and from the maybe hundreds of wifi routers in the offices and apartments. I would be very worried about that.
And I would suspect that the winds/drafts are unpredictable between the buildings.

I hope some commercial pilots with hands on experience will chime in for you. Plenty of hobbyists on Youtube do it all the time apparently :eek:

Thank You for advice - everything goes very OK. I picked the day carefully (almost no wind at all). the thing is that exept the flight from the roof of the building I also take off from land. My conclusion is that it is much better and easier to operate fromt the ground when you have more option than from the terace where I had a wall behind me and lots of Radio antenat 20 metres from me above. It was not comfortable. However I had no interference, no signal lost etc. When flying from the ground I was able to fly away max 150 m above and 50-100 metres aside then I received the "weak radio signal" alert.

However I defenetly prefer not to fly in that kind of areas if I don't have to - I liek to be always 100% sure and control everything. Of course I had all the approvals and license for doing this job.

Best!

The other thing to look out for is people on the ground. Tall buildings are generally present in densely populated areas, and with the obstacles they present and variable winds often found among them, you should try to leave some extra room for error and unexpected gusts. Sounds like you were careful, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb