Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone else planning to fly a 360Hero array?

Guys - I have a potential amazing chance at attempting to do a 360 stereoscopic rig - similar to what you have here - then the idea is we stitch that footage and compile thru Oculus Rift - with the hopes of creating a 360 FPV type of experience in Oculus. Thoughts? Would love to collaborate - the rig is approx 1200g (http://shop.360heros.com/3DH3PRO14H-360-VIDEO-360-HEROS-3D-360-VIDEO-p/3dh3pro14h.htm). This could be mind blowing. Would love some inout.

Guys - I have a potential amazing chance at attempting to do a 360 stereoscopic rig - similar to what you have here - then the idea is we stitch that footage and compile thru Oculus Rift - with the hopes of creating a 360 FPV type of experience in Oculus. Thoughts? Would love to collaborate - the rig is approx 1200g (http://shop.360heros.com/3DH3PRO14H-360-VIDEO-360-HEROS-3D-360-VIDEO-p/3dh3pro14h.htm). This could be mind blowing. Would love some inout.

Nice! If you access to 14 GoPros and the 360Heros stereo rig, by all means, give it a go! I have a lot of experience with the Occulous and it's new form in the Samsung GearVR. Although I've not created any 360 videos yet I have played with a lot of them. They are absolutely brilliant. A different experience every time you watch the same video. I haven't played with a stereoscopic one. The GearVR store has a couple of 360 videos shot from a helicopter that are mind blowing. The other thing to consider is the payload weight and if the I1 can fly it. I'm really interested in learning how you plan to mount the rig. Can't wait to hear back from your experience.

Last edited:
Check out izugar.com
It has less gopros. Which is less in weight. Consequently offers longer flight times. Lower Investment cost overall to consider for purchasing and also lost risk in flight.

Have you considered stabilization? I am very interested in any solution in this area.

What about the video transmission for flight?

If the SDK for the Inspire gets releasesd, maybe we can tap into the lightbridge. If not an external needs to be added.

Yeah - External monitoring for now, was thinking about hooking it to our S1000, but based on that weight video (top of thread) the Hero360 Stereo rig is 850gr including GoPro cameras, so the I1 should handle that no problems. We have an ingenious dampening system we use to mount our Ronin systems to cars. It consists of two cheeses plates (carbon fiber circular mounting plates with holes thru the surface). These two plates are separated by high tension dampening coil pairs that remove almost every bit of vibration in all directions from the top plate. We are on the beta cycle team for Samsung GearVR and while plain spherical is pretty sweet, our hope is that stereoscopic spherical on and Oculus rig will blow minds! That being said for mobile applications GearVR is a great tool and phones are certainly going to have the CPU/GPU power eventually.

Despite suggestions otherwise, we need to create a fixed mounts to eliminate swaying, because stabilizing that type of image array will take all of the joy out of this process. We have extremely deep post capabilities at my company and have done a fair amount of stitching, but are really looking for something off the shelf that will automate this process. Does any one know of good stitching software for stereo or in general?

SkySav/fruitygreen - where are you folks from? I am personally psyched out of my mind over the potential of this format. Let's put our heads together and forge some new ground! I have no interest in trying to re-invent the wheel, so if there is good intel out there, I am all ears.

FWW - Check out our latest reel:
http://www.mindovereye.com/MAIN-REEL

Look forward to going down the rabbit hole on this!

My partner will be at NAB this year looking for 360 style cameras. It would be great if DJI would announce something that we could use and is high quality enough. A lot of the smaller ones coming do not do 360 video justice on the Rift yet.

360 video is still new . There are pioneers who have moved on and newcomers with mediocre features. The gopro array were thought of to replicate Google Street view years ago.
There were a rumor that gopro themselves will create there own.

The low cost of an affordable system is kind of a compromise over resolution.

360 video Stitching software have 3 major brands. Video-stitch and Kolor. They both can drop multi-files to stitch a 360 video. Oh, even Ptgui can too Stitch but requires manual conversions.

I have committed to a Kolor work-flow and it works out well.
Ptgui is cheaper, but requirks a lot more steps.
Video-stitch is fast and flexible , but I have committed software investments to Kolor.

Yeah - External monitoring for now, was thinking about hooking it to our S1000, but based on that weight video (top of thread) the Hero360 Stereo rig is 850gr including GoPro cameras, so the I1 should handle that no problems. We have an ingenious dampening system we use to mount our Ronin systems to cars. It consists of two cheeses plates (carbon fiber circular mounting plates with holes thru the surface). These two plates are separated by high tension dampening coil pairs that remove almost every bit of vibration in all directions from the top plate. We are on the beta cycle team for Samsung GearVR and while plain spherical is pretty sweet, our hope is that stereoscopic spherical on and Oculus rig will blow minds! That being said for mobile applications GearVR is a great tool and phones are certainly going to have the CPU/GPU power eventually.

Despite suggestions otherwise, we need to create a fixed mounts to eliminate swaying, because stabilizing that type of image array will take all of the joy out of this process. We have extremely deep post capabilities at my company and have done a fair amount of stitching, but are really looking for something off the shelf that will automate this process. Does any one know of good stitching software for stereo or in general?

SkySav/fruitygreen - where are you folks from? I am personally psyched out of my mind over the potential of this format. Let's put our heads together and forge some new ground! I have no interest in trying to re-invent the wheel, so if there is good intel out there, I am all ears.

FWW - Check out our latest reel:
http://www.mindovereye.com/MAIN-REEL

Look forward to going down the rabbit hole on this!

@MindOverEye I'm from the Bay Area. San Francisco and Oakland. I have only dabbled in Video Stitcher. I believe stereoscopic 360 video will be the most eye opening fully imerssive experience. Your company's reel is very impressive. What is your role there? I mean more than willing to collaborate with anyone into 360 video. My guys were writing SDK for the Occulous Rift Beta that went out years ago and are now applying that knowledge to 3d forensics where they are the first to submit VR Sims as evidence in court. That amoung other very cool things with the GearVR. Regarding 360 video, I'd love to learn more about what you plan to do. Looking forward to hearing from you.

My partner will be at NAB this year looking for 360 style cameras. It would be great if DJI would announce something that we could use and is high quality enough. A lot of the smaller ones coming do not do 360 video justice on the Rift yet.

Can't wait to hear back about any 360 video cams/rigs you find at NAB. Any leads on anything there? I have a guy who's going and I'd love to give him a lead to follow up on. Thx!

@MindOverEye I'm from the Bay Area. San Francisco and Oakland. I have only dabbled in Video Stitcher. I believe stereoscopic 360 video will be the most eye opening fully imerssive experience. Your company's reel is very impressive. What is your role there? I mean more than willing to collaborate with anyone into 360 video. My guys were writing SDK for the Occulous Rift Beta that went out years ago and are now applying that knowledge to 3d forensics where they are the first to submit VR Sims as evidence in court. That amoung other very cool things with the GearVR. Regarding 360 video, I'd love to learn more about what you plan to do. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the feedback - I am the founder and EVP/ECD (Executive Creative Director) of MindOverEye. We mostly do TV commercials, but we also have the largest automotive channel on YouTube with over 3mm subscribers. We have a small interactive dept that serves as our internal "Skunk works" and that is where the interest in Spherical/VR is coming from. We are looking to push this into experiential deployment for companies looking to have immersive experiences with a small foot print. I can imagine if we can do a decent capture of a UAV's experience and bolt it into OR, we will have a very compelling service to offer. I have a couple of clients who are extremely interested.

We have a lot of experience with Unity5, Unreal and Cryengine, but even with a Titan X the end result is still gamey and we are masters of the "photo-real", that is why we are looking at footage instead or augmented by CGI.

Let's put our heads together.

Thanks for the feedback - I am the founder and EVP/ECD (Executive Creative Director) of MindOverEye. We mostly do TV commercials, but we also have the largest automotive channel on YouTube with over 3mm subscribers. We have a small interactive dept that serves as our internal "Skunk works" and that is where the interest in Spherical/VR is coming from. We are looking to push this into experiential deployment for companies looking to have immersive experiences with a small foot print. I can imagine if we can do a decent capture of a UAV's experience and bolt it into OR, we will have a very compelling service to offer. I have a couple of clients who are extremely interested.

We have a lot of experience with Unity5, Unreal and Cryengine, but even with a Titan X the end result is still gamey and we are masters of the "photo-real", that is why we are looking at footage instead or augmented by CGI.

image.jpg
This is one of the best 360 Drone videos I've come across. Download the 360Heros app then search and download this specific video. If this example was shot in stereo...wow. The 360 rig is obviously mounted to a hard point on the multiroto's frame with a good dampering system. Very nice how the mount is cleaned up from the shot. My guys are deep into Unity5 and 3Ds Max. I specialize in VFX and Cinematography. Where are you based out of?

View attachment 1074
This is one of the best 360 Drone videos I've come across. Download the 360Heros app then search and download this specific video. If this example was shot in stereo...wow. The 360 rig is obviously mounted to a hard point on the multiroto's frame with a good dampering system. Very nice how the mount is cleaned up from the shot. My guys are deep into Unity5 and 3Ds Max. I specialize in VFX and Cinematography. Where are you based out of?

We are in El Segundo (Los Angeles). We are Max, Maya, Houdini, C4D, Nuke, Flame etc. We use primarily VRAY for our photo-real renders and Unity for our real-time stuff. We have an Emmy Nominated VFX dept. but that is just one aspect of the total set of services we offer. We are a total content solution provider from production thru post, including VFX. We are really liking Unity5, but my feeling is for automotive OEM's the resolution is still too "gamey", we know it will get there but it's not there yet. We have three sound stages including a green screen insert stage and a massive production shop where we fabricate and modify our different rigs. We own all of our own production gear, approx 30 different camera systems, gyro stabilization systems, lighting, grip and power. We are hoping that all of that experience will allow us to do our own R&D for this type of image capture, but we love making new friends and building new bridges.

Is there a link to this video?

I have been a game developer for almost 20 years and used custom engines we developed, Unity and Unreal. Right now im doing aerial photos to 3d landscape recreation and then pulling it into Unreal Engine and testing out with the view in VR mode. I wrote a small post on the landscape creation but haven't had time to post my work flow in Unreal along with the results. http://ibareitall.com/generating-3d-landscapes-from-aerial-photos-part-2/ Some of my good friends work for the Rift Dev team in Dallas since I worked with most of these guys back in the days in Dallas at Id. I'm always interested in collaborations and currently living in the Lake Tahoe area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont