Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone know where I can get a proper FPV camera installed for my I2?

Reaction score
I’ve seen threads with this discussed before, was hoping to get some updated responses. The fpv camera on the inspire 2 is horrible as everyone knows. Would love to upgrade it if possible, but I don’t have the skills to do it myself.

Is there anyone out there that can or has done this before that can provide some insight? Or, perhaps there’s a person out there that knows of a service that can do this upgrade?

Thank you to the community in advance.

Hi. So this is interesting, I’m ok opening some things up and I’m sort of mechanically inclined but I still don’t trust my level of skill to do this without some pretty clear guidance. I checked the link you sent, and it would be nice to see just picture of the mount without all the gear. Also, to confirm, under your mount ad on eBay, I saw the other items that I’m assuming make up the camera, and transmitter to complete the rig.

What I’m wondering is whether or not all the hardware and wiring harnesses required for this is something I’d be able to also get off the shelf.

I guess essentially what I’m wondering is, if there’s like a bill of materials list I’d need to get to achieve this. I’ll continue to look up articles that can provide insight but if you have any you’re willing to share, I’d be quite interested in attempting this.

Thanks!

We make the mounting hardware for many types of drones. The one I sent you is the most popular for I1 I2 and RC models.
As far as pictures they are in the ad. I see if I can find the article that went over the wiring its in forum somewhere.

I have over 100 of these in use.

Reactions: jmaganaski
Yeah I’d love to see what you’re able to find, as I’ve had limited results. Perhaps I’ll change up my queries.

If you have any pictures also, I’d love to take a look. Once I figure out everything I need to buy and I can source everything, I’ll pull the trigger on your mount for sure as this is something that I’ve been wanting to address for a long while now with the I2.

It’s by far my biggest pet peeve about that bird.

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

Hi !
first post in this forum which I think is very useful and nice !

for peoples who have already install an air unit or O3 air unit,
how do you have managed the powering ?

thank you !

here you go:

Hello!

So I have seen your YouTube videos about modding your I2, lots of great info, thanks for posting all that. I did end up upgrading my FPV on my I2 but I used a modified mount that holds the DJI AirUnit (not the O3) and a 4S battery, to the underside. The camera is mounted directly above the stock FPV camera with another mount that I printed at home. In the future I may try opening up that panel you demonstrated, to get power directly from the I2's power. I think making a harness with the AU's wiring cable would be easy for that.

Currently, I have just the power leads from the AU's wiring harness connected directly to a 14.8v 4S battery using banana plugs that fit nicely into the battery's xt60 connector. I have the balance harness from the battery running to a small voltage detector that's attached directly to the battery. The whole rig (including the camera and mount) adds a little above 10 oz. in weight, and fits nicely all assembled in its case.

My question is regarding the AU going into 'Low Power Mode.' This is something that seems to happen to a number of people I am finding out, and I am not sure if there is a solution for it or not. When the AU goes into this mode, the feed is very low res and choppy at best. Also, the AU won't support recording during low power mode. I'm aware that the AU gets pretty hot while it's powered on, and I have set the auto temp control function of the AU to off, but the intermittent low power issue still persists.

I'm wondering if you have experienced this on any of your mods using the DJI AU in this manner, and if so, how did you address it?

Thanks!

My question is regarding the AU going into 'Low Power Mode.' This is something that seems to happen to a number of people I am finding out, and I am not sure if there is a solution for it or not. When the AU goes into this mode, the feed is very low res and choppy at best. Also, the AU won't support recording during low power mode. I'm aware that the AU gets pretty hot while it's powered on, and I have set the auto temp control function of the AU to off, but the intermittent low power issue still persists.

I'm wondering if you have experienced this on any of your mods using the DJI AU in this manner, and if so, how did you address it?

Thanks!
It probably depends a little how your AU is mounted and how much air flows around it. Another thing is that hottest day on summer in Estonia where I leave is rarely raising above 30C, which may be another very big contributor :)

When discussing possible overheating issues we were considering using small aluminium radiators, but yeah, air flow is important part

See below our print, it fully exposes body of AU

1702979543468.png

It probably depends a little how your AU is mounted and how much air flows around it. Another thing is that hottest day on summer in Estonia where I leave is rarely raising above 30C, which may be another very big contributor :)

When discussing possible overheating issues we were considering using small aluminium radiators, but yeah, air flow is important part

See below our print, it fully exposes body of AU

View attachment 34138
So is that a converter you have on the back there? I’d like to know more about how and what you’re using there. And you mentioned an Inspire modding community? Where do you all ‘meet’?

So is that a converter you have on the back there? I’d like to know more about how and what you’re using there. And you mentioned an Inspire modding community? Where do you all ‘meet’?
Yes, there's DC-DC buck converter turning 6S into 15v for Air Unit

Group is located on FB, not sure if it's allowed to share direct link - search for "DJI Inspire 2 - modding (software and hardware)"

Yes, there's DC-DC buck converter turning 6S into 15v for Air Unit

Group is located on FB, not sure if it's allowed to share direct link - search for "DJI Inspire 2 - modding (software and hardware)"
Hi again! Hey I am in the process of piecing this together for my I2, but the question I have is when you use this method to power the air unit, have you noticed if this affects the balance between the two on-board batteries? I’m using the stock TB50’s here. In other words, have you noticed if the battery that is supplying power (assuming there is an empty port on both sides of the aircraft), discharge faster than its paired mate?

How has this affected your flight times using this method to power the air unit, do you have an idea?

Thanks for your help!

Hi again! Hey I am in the process of piecing this together for my I2, but the question I have is when you use this method to power the air unit, have you noticed if this affects the balance between the two on-board batteries? I’m using the stock TB50’s here. In other words, have you noticed if the battery that is supplying power (assuming there is an empty port on both sides of the aircraft), discharge faster than its paired mate?

How has this affected your flight times using this method to power the air unit, do you have an idea?

Thanks for your help!
Hey,

that's single port on power distribution board, so you're draining power from both TB50 at the same time.

Flight time - I would not say there is any noticeable change.

Reactions: jmaganaski
One more question for you…regarding that port, do you have all circuits wired or just one positive and one ground? You wouldn’t happen to have an idea what arrangement the pins are would you?

I checked with my meter, got a total output of 25.96 V with fully charged & paired TB50s, but I’d just like to be certain.

Thanks again for your help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP