Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone tried/using Datumate?

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experienced using Datumate for photogrammetry? How do they compare in features, ease-of-use (pilot and customer side) and price to some of the other big players offering competing products in the market like Pix4D or Bentley ContextCapture?

I have used PiX4D, Correlator 3D, Bently, Propeller, Datumate, Maps Made Easy, and Precision Mapper.
All seem to be in the range of 300 a month except Precision Mapper is free for 5 maps per month. All, except Maps Made Easy and Precision Mapper are located on your computer. Precision Mapper does have an option to have it located on your computer or not. I use ground control points with an Inspire2 with x5s camera 15mm.
I'm down to Datumate for ease of use and Precision Mapper for ease of use plus no fee for 5 maps per month and cloud processing and it's fast too(3 hours including image input, GCP input, GCP locations on photos and cloud processing for a 310 photo job 80/80 overlap). I learned later that 70/70 overlap is OK with Precision Mapper if not doing wooded or ag sites.
When I can afford it or when work picks up I will be using Datumate. Until then its Precision Mapper. IMHO

Pix4D is actually cloud too.

What about presentation of results to client? One thing I'm frustrated is that most of these solutions aren't flexible enough to let you customize the end client user experience based on the particular applications.

Yes you are correct........sometimes I just want an orthophotograph for sketch or presentation purposes and the end results for most of these softwares require some manipulation in another software first. .A 600MB orthophoto tif file will never open on my laptop but will in autocadd or Esri Arc Gis type software. I work in a civil engineering firm where we can reduce imagery and/or associated contour information to a manageable size for presentation purposes.
I strive for accurate ortho and accurate topographic data(contours,DSM,and DTM data) to go along with the ortho. Our frustrations had been with accuracy. It turns out(after many trials) that we need GCPs located every 300 feet over our project area including some every 300 feet just outside the project area. That would be approximately 33 or so GCPs for a 33 acre square piece of land. Holy cow.
That being said.....it works. None of the softwares gave us sharp edges on the contour information such as curbs, catchbasins etc along streets so we use the orthorectified imagery for line drawings(tracing) in autocadd. Flights between 230 to 250 AGL feet work well for the x5s.

Back to your issue...........
If your looking for a simplified method of getting some drawings together(orthophotograph, color DTM) for presentation, Maps Made Easy works well and a work around for size of input to keep you under their minimum 250MB to pay, is to reduce the image size in Lightroom or Photoshop first.The resulting output sizes(jpegs) are managible too. You can then printout onto 11x17 or smaller or take to a printer for larger printouts. We've printed these smaller outputs up to 24"by 36" and they look great.....
You can also try SketchFab too for posting and viewing 3Ds. Its free to join. Hope something here helped......

Reactions: Brent Newman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop