Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

App to help getting good compass calibration

Reaction score
have any members heard of a phone app, that shows you the strength of any metal, or magnetic fields in the vicinity of where you intend to carry out a compass calibration, I have seen such an app, but can't find it or remember what it was called.

have any members heard of a phone app, that shows you the strength of any metal, or magnetic fields in the vicinity of where you intend to carry out a compass calibration, I have seen such an app, but can't find it or remember what it was called.

Magnetic Declination (Variation) | ngdc.noaa.gov

You can use that site for findings. But remember you only need one good calibration unless your traveling some distance.

Magnetic Declination (Variation) | ngdc.noaa.gov

You can use that site for findings. But remember you only need one good calibration unless your traveling some distance.
Thanks for the reply, that's probably a bit too complicated for me, but thanks anyway, the app I have seen in the past was quite simple, and showed a kind of graph at the bottom showing the strength of any magnetic activity, and I presume the proximity of any metal objects possibly in the ground. I understood that you were supposed to recalibrate the compass every time you were flying at a different location, not near where you flew last.

Thanks for the reply, that's probably a bit too complicated for me, but thanks anyway, the app I have seen in the past was quite simple, and showed a kind of graph at the bottom showing the strength of any magnetic activity, and I presume the proximity of any metal objects possibly in the ground. I understood that you were supposed to recalibrate the compass every time you were flying at a different location, not near where you flew last.

Sorry mate, if you just want that info, I highly recommend the Hover app it show metal in the ground, but I don't know of any apps that can do that.

As for calibration, no you don't need to recalibrate at all except for 2 reasons.

1. You are traveling into another hemisphere.

2. If your sensor readouts are off. The typical readinks should be

X= 0.0

Y=1.00

Z=1500

These don't have to be exact. The numbers will deviate a bit, which is okay but if they are completely off than you need to re calibrate. Otherwise just check those numbers before you arm the motors make sure they look good, I'm in the habit of taking a quick screen shot and than I match that up with the mission photos/videos.

Reactions: The Editor
Sorry mate, if you just want that info, I highly recommend the Hover app it show metal in the ground, but I don't know of any apps that can do that.

As for calibration, no you don't need to recalibrate at all except for 2 reasons.

1. You are traveling into another hemisphere.

2. If your sensor readouts are off. The typical readinks should be

X= 0.0

Y=1.00

Z=1500

These don't have to be exact. The numbers will deviate a bit, which is okay but if they are completely off than you need to re calibrate. Otherwise just check those numbers before you arm the motors make sure they look good, I'm in the habit of taking a quick screen shot and than I match that up with the mission photos/videos.
Thanks again for the info, I'll keep those X, Y, and Z, values in mind and just recalibrate the compass if they alter too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide