Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Apple ProRes license key- question

Reaction score
If I've already got Final Cut Pro- do I really need the DJI License key that comes with the souped up bundle? I don't understand.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

I find it all a bit weird really. For example you can buy a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera that shoots ProRes and DNG raw for £700, no additional license needed. Same for all the recorders out there from Atomos, SmallHD etc, and all the other BMD cameras. It seems an odd arrangement from DJI to do things this way. They are the only camera and recorder manufacturer to do it this way.

.... They are the only camera and recorder manufacturer to do it this way.

No, they most definitely are not.
Sony charges for codec upgrades/enhancements regularly on its pro cameras (The FS5 just got an Mpeg2 HD 422 update at $500), The X70 got a chargeable firmware upgrade adding certain codecs and 4K.
Panasonic have done it with hardware boards containing ROM based codecs including AVCHD from a few years ago.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Can we register for this DJI License key with an inspire 1 X5R?

Hi Borneo,

I read this on the License page CinemaDNG and Apple ProRes License Key | DJI Store :

An Inspire 2 License Key activates the usage permission of CinemaDNG or Apple PreRes inside CineCore 2.0. There are many standards of CinemaDNG or Apple ProRes License Keys available for purchase. Used with the DJI CINESSD and the optimized FAT32/exFAT file system, License Keys enable Hollywood-grade video formats to be captured for advanced post-production.

They have linked the license to the CineCore2.0 so, it is unlikely it would work for any cameras not supported by the I2. With it on the core I suppose that means multiple licenses for one user with multiple birds. Also, i am unsure what happens with crash replacements, lost drones, sold drones, etc. Is there a more detailed license page?

Didn't stop me from buying however. Man, am I stoked to ge my hands on this thing. Yeeeeoooooowwww!

Reactions: NoTech64
...Also saw this on the site:

The Inspire 2 creative workflow has been completely optimized and is now capable of recording videoin CinemaDNG and Apple ProRes, and other common formats for post-production in filmmaking. Also supported are FAT32/exFAT* file systems,which allow fast copying of files direct from the CINESSD without additional software
* Coming soon.

I am unclear on what is coming soon :). Possibly a SSD/SSD Station driver update?

Question for all that have read, researched, and are otherwise knowledgeable about the I2 set up and the cinematography language that goes with it (I am not)..........

What are the highest quality settings for the I2 with 5s, for capturing the best video without the licenses????

Sony charges for codec upgrades/enhancements regularly on its pro cameras (The FS5 just got an Mpeg2 HD 422 update at $500), The X70 got a chargeable firmware upgrade adding certain codecs and 4K.

Sorry, yes, I knew this and forgot to mention them as an exception. But those are proprietary codecs specific to Sony and Panasonic. I am not aware of any other hardware that records Prores or DNG Raw that generally requires a separate license key on purchase just to get it working. What you have to remember is that those cameras record some sort of footage out of the box. They do not require a mandatory license key payment just to get the thing recording something at all. In addition, why on earth DJI went down an Adobe Raw route that requires a license, when they could have gone for an open source version, is beyond me.

Like I said, it doesn't tally with the Blackmagic model at all, to give one example, even if Sony, a company that is renowned for proprietary codecs and functionality, also does it. I spent a number of years working directly with Sony, doing seminars for their professional line of cameras as part of their I.C.E. scheme as well as previous to that testing pre-production gear etc. Quite often it was a case of them charging for the "value add" rather than what it actually costs to implement. I wouldn't class getting a camera just to do basic recording a "value add". It is more of an essential! And then you have to look at what DJI is charging compared to the Sony licenses (which are still pricey for what they are and what you get).

Reactions: Kauaigene
You're not paying for the format but for the capability of recording in those formats.
You're paying a licence. My understanding is that the DNG format they are using is an Adobe variation. The ability to record is already built in. The license unlocks those abilities, and is frankly extortionate.

It is only a matter of time before a competitor comes along with a rival quad system that has an open interface so that third parties can develop cameras for it. When companies become so protective and proprietary, there will always be someone ready to fill the gap in the market. With video cameras it was Red that originally stepped into the breach, because companies such as Sony weren't giving people what they wanted (big chip sensors, high frame rates, higher than HD resolutions) at a fairly reasonable price. These days the gap has been filled by companies such as Blackmagic Design. There's a lot of disappointed DJI owners out there with existing I1's that would appear, despite being modular, to have been made obsolete. Technology moves fast, but such pricey gear should not be depreciated after only just having turned 2 years old.

So I do not think it will be an immense amount of time before a competitor steps in with a reasonably priced competitor that does the basics (image quality, and quad performance) really well, at a reasonable price, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Much like BMD did with their cameras.

If Wikipedia is correct...

Use of the file format is royalty-free; Adobe has published a license allowing anyone to exploit DNG,[4] and has also stated that there are no known intellectual property encumbrances or license requirements for DNG.[5] Adobe stated that if there were a consensus that DNG should be controlled by a standards body, they were open to the idea.

Obviously, there are costs associated with engineering any technology into a product. In this instance that tech may only be desirable to a smaller percentage of total users, so the mfg passes that expense of to those who will use it and maintains a lower price point for those who will not.

Last edited:
From a manufacturing point of view it makes sense - Dji can simplify their production and assembly lines to make a set of rationalised products in the inspire 2 range. The hardware/firmware for encoding and writing the raw video stream is centralised into the aircraft body and the camera construction is simplified to a single item (no separate assembly lines of x5 and x5raw variants). DJI can optimise part costs through enconomies of scale, reduction of complexity, and through simplification of staff training on a lower set of assembly variants.

The downside of this approach for DJI is that they are effectively giving away hardware that they used to charge a premium for (i.e. The x5 raw) in every aircraft. That now means they need to recoup those costs somehow. To do that they've chosen to charge the premium via a codec 'license fee' for those that want to make use of the more advanced features.

The pricing/licensing has little or nothing to do with Adobe or Apple charging (or not) for licensing their codecs/formats, it's all about product simplification and differential pricing based on inbuilt features and user needs. It's similar to how the likes of software and hardware companies hae operated for years by limiting features of products to things like home/office/pro or basic/advanced. It's quite a nice model in that you can start of simple, and then as you need more advanced features, simply pay and add them as required.

The pricing structure is a little different but in the grand scheme of things this is still one of the cheapest cameras (at $2899) to shoot 4K 60fps dng/prores on the market. They probably would have negated all this by simply selling two version of the camera, one enabled and one not. Then make the one not enabled upgradeable, which is basically what they are doing but they just call it licensing.

Shame you see it that way, I see it as at least if I want to go RAW in future I don't have to shell out for a complete new camera. Unlike at the moment where I've an X5 and I'm stuck with it - if I want RAW on the X5 then I've got to pay out all over again and buy an entire new X5 RAW unit.

You can make some people happy som eof the time, but you can't make everyone happy all of the time :D

Have a great Christmas everyone, hope you get some nice new quad toys to play with :):cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ai900exam