Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Apple ProRes license key- question

Compared to the I1's pricing structure, the I2's is brilliant. Used to be, if you wanted to start cheaper and see what results you got, you'd buy an X5 for $1800 (with lens). Then if you found you needed the RAW capability, you'd have to shell out another $3200!! (without lens. At least you can re-use that!) Now you just have to shell out another $500 or $1000 or $1500... depending on what you want plus $900 for the SSD card... way less money and more choice.

The pricing structure is a little different but in the grand scheme of things this is still one of the cheapest cameras (at $2899) to shoot 4K 60fps dng/prores on the market. They probably would have negated all this by simply selling two version of the camera, one enabled and one not. Then make the one not enabled upgradeable, which is basically what they are doing but they just call it licensing.
Don't forget that that $2899 includes a superb 3 axis gimbal. It's a wild amount of features in a tiny package for very little money. I used to spend hours every evening trying to get gimbals to behave well enough to fly my RX-100 at speed. I probably spent $5000 on gimbals and controllers and never got there.

Shame you see it that way, I see it as at least if I want to go RAW in future I don't have to shell out for a complete new camera. Unlike at the moment where I've an X5 and I'm stuck with it - if I want RAW on the X5 then I've got to pay out all over again and buy an entire new X5 RAW unit.

You can make some people happy som eof the time, but you can't make everyone happy all of the time :D

Have a great Christmas everyone, hope you get some nice new quad toys to play with :):cool:

Which begs the question of why, if it is entirely to do with purely unlocking capabilities on the aircraft itself, why the X4S cannot do Raw? After all, if it is merely piping through data to be encoded with the encoders and recording system on board the main aircraft fuselage, surely the X4S should be capable of recording raw too? So something here still doesn't make sense or adds up. Or is it that the X4S in fact still encodes the video within the camera? Kind of odd if it does given the reasons given for putting the recording and encoding system into the main fuselage.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Which begs the question of why, if it is entirely to do with purely unlocking capabilities on the aircraft itself, why the X4S cannot do Raw? After all, if it is merely piping through data to be encoded with the encoders and recording system on board the main aircraft fuselage, surely the X4S should be capable of recording raw too? So something here still doesn't make sense or adds up. Or is it that the X4S in fact still encodes the video within the camera? Kind of odd if it does given the reasons given for putting the recording and encoding system into the main fuselage.
It may be a marketing decision, it may be a hardware limitation. But whatever it is, it is what it is and it's fine. Why would you want to pay for the highest end codecs available for a $500 fix lens non-zoom camera? The camera is far too limited to use in high end applications. I, for one, wouldn't even think of going to a client to say, "Yeah... we can do ProRes but only through a 24mm fixed lens.

Compared to the I1's pricing structure, the I2's is brilliant. Used to be, if you wanted to start cheaper and see what results you got, you'd buy an X5 for $1800 (with lens). Then if you found you needed the RAW capability, you'd have to shell out another $3200!! (without lens. At least you can re-use that!) Now you just have to shell out another $500 or $1000 or $1500... depending on what you want plus $900 for the SSD card... way less money and more choice.

Isn't that just poor design in the first place? The X5 was severely crippled with that highly reduced datarate. They should have made it Prores capable right from the beginning (which incidentally is far less processor intensive and taxing than H264 encoding, and can easily be done to SD cards as per the BMD cameras). The tiering system for the X5 was always way out of whack. Plenty of people could have used Prores, but not many people really need Raw video (even if many 'think' they do). So to have low bitrate H264 on the lower priced camera, and then jump straight up to 4K raw encoding with all the expensive and heavy storage requirements that go along with that is too much.

Personally I would have been perfectly happy with an X4 that records Prores to SD card, and a slightly larger chip camera, and skip the interchangeable lenses. T

But going on from my last reply, is the X4S encoding on board the camera itself? If it is, then why can't we have such a camera for the I1 with its higher bitrate recording? If it isn't, and the encoding is taking place on board the aircraft, then why can't the X5S have H264 recording? And in that case what type of signal is the X4S piping through, and why can't that signal be recorded as Raw or Prores?

Why would you want to pay for the highest end codecs available for a $500 fix lens non-zoom camera?The camera is far too limited to use in high end applications. I, for one, wouldn't even think of going to a client to say, "Yeah... we can do ProRes but only through a 24mm fixed lens.
That depends on your work, and how you produce video. I don't need to discuss codecs with my clients because I'm in creative control of the production from beginning to end. If you are just doing aerial work, handing over the footage, then going home, then things might be different. There is a very simple reason to have a better codec, even on a fixed lens camera. Higher video recording quality and the ability to use Log gamma properly! Doesn't matter what the camera is. It will always benefit from a better codec.

Reactions: Eric Braun
Isn't that just poor design in the first place? The X5 was severely crippled with that highly reduced datarate. They should have made it Prores capable right from the beginning (which incidentally is far less processor intensive and taxing than H264 encoding, and can easily be done to SD cards as per the BMD cameras). The tiering system for the X5 was always way out of whack. Plenty of people could have used Prores, but not many people really need Raw video (even if many 'think' they do). So to have low bitrate H264 on the lower priced camera, and then jump straight up to 4K raw encoding with all the expensive and heavy storage requirements that go along with that is too much.

Personally I would have been perfectly happy with an X4 that records Prores to SD card, and a slightly larger chip camera, and skip the interchangeable lenses. They've practically done this with the X4S without the Prores.

But going on from my last reply, is the X4S encoding on board the camera itself? If it is, then why can't we have such a camera for the I1 with its higher bitrate recording? If it isn't, and the encoding is taking place on board the aircraft, then why can't the X5S have H264 recording? And in that case what type of signal is the X4S piping through, and why can't that signal be recorded as Raw or Prores?
The X5S can have H.264 recording. And I completely agree with your first paragraph. My point is that this is better than that.

Reactions: SimonMW

Sorry, I missed this part. The encoder is in the I2 body for the X4S too. It's how they finally were able to fit an SOC that could do 100mbps encodes. They just couldn't fit one in the camera and retain a reasonable size for the gimbal.

They just couldn't fit one in the camera and retain a reasonable size for the gimbal.
Sorry, but that's just not right at all. The space needed for a modern encoding system that can do 100Mbps compared to 60Mbps is barely any different. What is your reference for this? Furthermore, the camera is still piping through the same data throughput to the encoder before the data rate is reduced. Sorry, but this reasoning is nothing but bunkum. There are plenty of small camera examples that prove this. Even the iPhone with all the extra stuff that carries, from batteries through to screen powering, speakers, and God knows what else can manage 4K 100Mpbs H264. The chips that achieve this encoding are absolutely tiny, and in their modern incarnation are barely any different in size to those older models that used to do less. They are probably smaller!

The Zenmuse X5S can also generate H.264 or H.265 video while recording in CinemaDNG or Apple ProRes. I watch vids like this and I am blown away by what you get for the money.

Very nicely done! I was taking notes throughout. A suggestion.
Bag the phone and go with a
Mini-IPad for your viewing and
settings. The extra screen makes
a big difference and a hood keeps
out glare. I aspire to shoot video
that looks like yours. Happy New
Year!
Planter
USA

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Hi Planter,

That is not me. He hoovers, I just hover. I dig his workflow, though and would like to get those RAW to LOG LUTs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tycet