Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Are my Inspire 1 batteries recoverable?

Reaction score
I have only owned this battery for 3 years and only charged it 5 times. When I bought it originally it had this problem after the 2nd flight but I just never looked into it. When I do charge it I get the LED Overcharge indicator but I think that is because the highest cell is charged but the lowest is still technically in low battery. Flew it with the warning a few feet above the ground to test it and within a few minutes the lowest cell died in the air causing the drone to drop. I’m surprised even with the other cells charged it shut off but I also know next to nothing about the workings of this battery. I currently have the rapid and standard charger and just tried deep cycling it. Should I just trash it or is there a cheap way to fix it? Also I have a second battery that just won’t charge. It can’t even power the drone for more than a second. Whenever I plug it into either charger I get an over voltage charger warning so I’m just completely confused on that note. Any advice would be nice!

Attachments

• F0144C64-A66B-4697-A6C3-5C718442D143.png
    F0144C64-A66B-4697-A6C3-5C718442D143.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
You need a new battery. If you are handy, you could replace that one bad cell, look on YouTube. As for the other battery that doesn't charge, look on YouTube, there is a way to jump start those batteries. The controller located on the top of the battery doesn't have enough voltage to start, so you need to bypass it with a stand-alone power supply to get it going.

Reactions: Matthewsw1234
I have brought batteries back from the dead through a series of deep discharges and slow recharges. But this was for batteries whose cells all functioned, but were uneven in their capacity. Never have I had one cell as discharged as your example.

The deep discharge consists of discharging as much as a standard discharger will allow, and then powering up the battery and leaving it on until it shuts itself off. Repeat that process a few times. Then recharge with a standard 100 watt charge.

Beware that I only did this on batteries that I felt were ready for the trash can anyway. Normally, I would not discharge batteries that deeply.

And honestly, the true secret to storing these LiPo's is making sure storage capacity is around 65%. I have had tremendous luck using this protocol.

D

Last edited:
I have brought batteries back from the dead through a series of deep discharges and slow recharges. But this was for batteries whose cells all functioned, but were uneven in their capacity. Never have I had one cell as discharged as you example.

The deep discharge consists of discharging as much as a standard discharger will allow, and then powering up the battery and leaving it on until it shuts itself off. Repeat that process a few times. Then recharge with a standard 100 watt charge.

Beware that I only did this on batteries that I felt were ready for the trash can anyway. Normally, I would not discharge batteries that deeply.

And honestly, the true secret to storing these LiPo's is making sure storage capacity is around 65%. I have had tremendous luck using this protocol.

D
Thanks. Ill try it. Just sucks because I only got to use it a few times and they are not cheap

You need a new battery. If you are handy, you could replace that one bad cell, look on YouTube. As for the other battery that doesn't charge, look on YouTube, there is a way to jump start those batteries. The controller located on the top of the battery doesn't have enough voltage to start, so you need to bypass it with a stand-alone power supply to get it going.
Would hooking up a standard lipo charger work to the positive and negative end of the battery internally? Ill check YouTube to see.

I have a TB47 that I thought was toast, but the former owner insisted it was alright. He said I should charge and discharge it a few times, which I did , and even though I was skeptical it came back 100%, and I have flown it a few times with no problems.

Thanks. Ill try it. Just sucks because I only got to use it a few times and they are not cheap
So, Tesla is right. I brought back 2 so far but I fried one when I first did this as it takes some finess. There is a YouTube video on doing this when you have to bypass the control board. You need a red and black set of alligator clips with clips on both sides, multi meter with leads, inspire charger. You have to remove the direct charge as soon as the voltage jumps even just a volt or two. I left one on too long and it went from 2 to 10 volts in about 5 min then to 18 in a millisecond then began to swell, game over. It was at 2 volts whe I got it and would not charge at all with regular or 180w charger. The video will step you through it .

I have brought batteries back from the dead through a series of deep discharges and slow recharges. But this was for batteries whose cells all functioned, but were uneven in their capacity. Never have I had one cell as discharged as your example.

D
That’s good to know. Are you aware if this protocol holds true for all batteries? Like inspire 2 batts and Mavic 2P batts? Do you use a special charger to limit your percentage of charge or just do it manually by looking at the LEDs and controller for charge info? Curious, thank you.

So, Tesla is right. I brought back 2 so far but I fried one when I first did this as it takes some finess. There is a YouTube video on doing this when you have to bypass the control board. You need a red and black set of alligator clips with clips on both sides, multi meter with leads, inspire charger. You have to remove the direct charge as soon as the voltage jumps even just a volt or two. I left one on too long and it went from 2 to 10 volts in about 5 min then to 18 in a millisecond then began to swell, game over. It was at 2 volts whe I got it and would not charge at all with regular or 180w charger. The video will step you through it .
A bench type PSU is good i.e. This type of unit on ebay.. For a TB48 Limit the voltage to 21v and current to about 400ma doing it this way you shouldn't cook the cells

ATTEN Adjustable Variable DC Power Supply 30V 3A 240V LED Display APS3003S/3003D​

Thanks so much!

Just be careful as you only need to leave it on the direct charge for a very brief moment, I left mine on too long and it almost exploded as it expanded and swelled, I fried it for good. But only because I left it on too long. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry