Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Attaching and Detaching Camera while powered on

Infamy, Infamy.... they've all got it In-for-me!

That Emmeline Pankhurst has an awful lot to answer for!
You're just a good target, but I must say I'm impressed with your technical knowledge, and helpful comments, even if sometimes brash!

Enjoy life and be nice

LOL! Took me a minute to figure out the Pankhurst reference. I guess this forum took it upon itself to make me a woman.

You're just a good target, but I must say I'm impressed with your technical knowledge, and helpful comments, even if sometimes brash!

Enjoy life and be nice
I know.... I can be a bit caustic sometimes (I have a warped sense of humour - and I'm British so that explains the sarcasm o_O).
I'm always blunt and to the point cos I'm not getting any younger, which means every day is another day nearer so I don't want to waste time :p

Reactions: lrh111
LOL! Took me a minute to figure out the Pankhurst reference. I guess this forum took it upon itself to make me a woman.
LOL... careful what you wish for !!....... Bruce Jenner is paying a lot of money for that transformation at the moment :p
No offense intended.

Check this out guys. It seems it saved us the step we had been discussing about.

But note that the it goes to flight mode without being on the ground! Didn't know it was possible. I'll try that later today!

Not a IT guru, but there may be a potential for the wrong contacts to touch while connecting with power. The other is the camera would go in and out of its precheck, maybe causing a fault. Hope you aren't one THOSE GUY'S trying to leave the scene of the crime in a hurry....just funnin.....

Yep I thought so... But there were really a couple of times I totally forgotten to power down!

Check this out guys. It seems it saved us the step we had been discussing about.

But note that the it goes to flight mode without being on the ground! Didn't know it was possible. I'll try that later today!
Only one problem with that method. He is allowing the Inspire (and gimbal) to initialize at an angle that is outside the flight parameters of the aircraft.
The IMU needs ZERO movement to initialize properly and the chances of a bad calibration are many times increased by doing what he is doing.......
I would not want to fly that Inspire straight after that :eek:
Of course, he could then do an IMU calibration but that will take 5 minutes to complete..... add that to his 3 minutes set up and it's taken him 8 minutes.

I think I will stick with the slow methodical method...... My $3,000 is not worth risking for an additional 60-90 seconds it takes to go through the 'power on, out of travel mode, power off, attach gimbal, power on' sequence....... but that's just me.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I was saying in a post earlier...

Can someone tell me where in the manual it says to set up your I1 like this? People like this should be banned from youtube and the I1 be taken away from them and placed on our forum for parts...

I don´t understand why this is not an ok version to put it together?

I have done it like this from the first minute. the manual does not really state (as far as I could read out of it) how to properly set it up. They say no tto take out the card while powered on. Me for instance, I attach the camera before powering up which is ok for my part. I assemble it in the case with props, prop holders, camera, then put in the battery and power it up holding it in my hand to wait for the legs to go down. it calibrates and all is ok. if needed I recalibrate on the ground when standing still and off I go...
I don´t understand why it is such a crime...

I think the way that it is set up in the video is totally common sense and logical for me. I did it without even thinking about it how to.. I just put on all the things and power it up... why bother with lowering landing gear, power down, putting up camera and then power up again? makes no sense to me.. while not under current it´s ok to set it up like this in my opinion since you can´t do any damage to any part except you let it fall down while or before the landing gear is down... I would say if you really really really want to go safe with setup then do all seperatly. powering up and down should not be a problem to the electronics and the bird is what I expect for 3 grand... if you want to save some time do it like in the vid and take care not to let it fall my accident....

that is my personal opinion.

Only one problem with that method. He is allowing the Inspire (and gimbal) to initialize at an angle that is outside the flight parameters of the aircraft.
The IMU needs ZERO movement to initialize properly and the chances of a bad calibration are many times increased by doing what he is doing.......
I would not want to fly that Inspire straight after that :eek:
Of course, he could then do an IMU calibration but that will take 5 minutes to complete..... add that to his 3 minutes set up and it's taken him 8 minutes.

I think I will stick with the slow methodical method...... My $3,000 is not worth risking for an additional 60-90 seconds it takes to go through the 'power on, out of travel mode, power off, attach gimbal, power on' sequence....... but that's just me.

Editor, why do you contradict yourself? In this post you do not want to risk your $3000 investment on a possible bad calibration but in the K-index thread with a reading of 8, which is known to wreak havoc on electrical components, you state, "Thought I'd go and fly the Inspire to see if there were any effects."

Editor, why do you contradict yourself? In this post you do not want to risk your $3000 investment on a possible bad calibration but in the K-index thread with a reading of 8, which is known to wreak havoc on electrical components, you state, "Thought I'd go and fly the Inspire to see if there were any effects."
Because a bad IMU calibration/initialization can make the Inspire (or any flight controller based multirotor) unflyable and result in a crash.
However a high K index will (at worse) skew GPS causing a dilatation of precision or GDOP. - The Inspire can still be flown in Atti.
If RF link was severed completely (unlikely since the FHSS technology would constantly try and re-establish a link) the Inspire would stay in one spot for a few seconds, realise there was no stick input and initiate RTH. If the GPS precision was affected it would not be by miles and miles it would potentially be by tens of meters. Where I was flying I had line of sight for approx 2 miles in all directions. The terrain was very flat and the visibility good.
So, no, not contradicting myself, on the one hand - bad IMU calibration practice can cause a total loss of control whereas on the other hand a high K Index might cause the craft to fly a little strange and suffer (possible) drifting, neither of which occurred and neither of which is terminal to the aircraft.

I still would not risk my $3,000 machine to the point where I could potentially have no control over it. In my experience high K Index does not cause that.

Last edited:
May I have a question?
once the IMU is calibrated why would it calibrate on startup? isn't it only resetting to zero only?
on my other craft with other electronics I have (normally) to calibrate the ACC only once making sure they are 150% level because that is what the copter will see as horizontal and therefore take off straight up. when the ACC is calibrated slightly off the perfect horizon the craft will take off and wanting to go in the direction it was slightly in during calibration. I personally was not aware of the IMU issue you are talking about and thought it was ok to set it up the way I did (like the youtube vid).

I also just made a test flight and the camera seems to be ok with minor teeny weeny glitches which I do not know where they come from. but I don´t think they will be affecting my progress in making aerial videos or pics. status for magnetic storm activity here in HU is currently 5 as far as my app can tell...

I did set it up the way you are and it does not take much longer by the way. :)

May I have a question?
once the IMU is calibrated why would it calibrate on startup? isn't it only resetting to zero only?
on my other craft with other electronics I have (normally) to calibrate the ACC only once making sure they are 150% level because that is what the copter will see as horizontal and therefore take off straight up. when the ACC is calibrated slightly off the perfect horizon the craft will take off and wanting to go in the direction it was slightly in during calibration. I personally was not aware of the IMU issue you are talking about and thought it was ok to set it up the way I did (like the youtube vid).

I also just made a test flight and the camera seems to be ok with minor teeny weeny glitches which I do not know where they come from. but I don´t think they will be affecting my progress in making aerial videos or pics. status for magnetic storm activity here in HU is currently 5 as far as my app can tell...

I did set it up the way you are and it does not take much longer by the way. :)

Sorry, I should have said initialize (which I did in my first post) and not calibrate. The craft should remain perfectly still while initialising which the guy in the video doesn't allow it do.

Because a bad IMU calibration/initialization can make the Inspire (or any flight controller based multirotor) unflyable and result in a crash.
However a high K index will (at worse) skew GPS causing a dilatation of precision or GDOP. - The Inspire can still be flown in Atti.
If RF link was severed completely (unlikely since the FHSS technology would constantly try and re-establish a link) the Inspire would stay in one spot for a few seconds, realise there was no stick input and initiate RTH. If the GPS precision was affected it would not be by miles and miles it would potentially be by tens of meters. Where I was flying I had line of sight for approx 2 miles in all directions. The terrain was very flat and the visibility good.
So, no, not contradicting myself, on the one hand - bad IMU calibration practice can cause a total loss of control whereas on the other hand a high K Index might cause the craft to fly a little strange and suffer (possible) drifting, neither of which occurred and neither of which is terminal to the aircraft.

I still would not risk my $3,000 machine to the point where I could potentially have no control over it. In my experience high K Index does not cause that.

Having an understanding of the solar indices is of great help when using radio communications, be it two way radio communications, mobile radio communications, radio broadcasting or any form of point to point radio communications ie. RC controller to Inspire. The K-index is a tool of measurment that helps with radio propagation prediction and enables a quick assessment to be made of the possibility of communications being disrupted. So you risk the chance of losing radio communication even in Atti so you have the ability of losing all control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk