Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

attempted Inspire 1 shoot down over neighbor's yard... need help synching flight data for police

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im an older guy who bought an Inspire 1 Pro looking to supplement my retirement. I am studying for my 107 and was practicing flight at about 165' AGL and flight path took it over my neighbor's yard about 600' down range of home. His garage blocks my view of his back porch so when I heard 3 shotgun blasts I suspected they were directed at the drone but couldn't prove it. Unfortunately I live in rural southern Ohio with a lot of chemical dependency and this guy is the poster child.

Fast forward 3 weeks and a local sheriff deputy was investigating a disturbance and this guy for whatever bizarre logic bragged to the cop that he tried to shoot my DJI down. What a moron...

So the deputy came to my house and said if I can provide my flight data for that day, he will look into charging him (something about 1st degree endangerment)

Thats my pickle... I have this guy in a teaching moment and tried a cloud synch last night but nothing... only got up to April 2019. Then I got the bright idea to delete the DJI Go app and reinstall and that made it worse. Ive got no local cache of flight data and I am getting a "Sychronizing Flight Records Failed" in the attached screen shot.. I have WIFI on, I logged into my DJI account. Still get the message. What the heck am I doing wrong???

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_185304800.jpg
    IMG_20200821_185304800.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Let it go, unless you had the camera directly pointed at the back porch of the neighbor your footage will be of no help. Once you deleted the app from your device you removed all data. You may be able to retrieve the data from the black box thru the Assistant app but honestly may not be worth it. Move on and stay away from the neighbors house.

No damage?
Probably better to stay out of his range and call it a day.
Why ruffle feathers and lose sleep over what he may try next.

unfortunately someone smashed my mailbox last night... I guess letting it go maybe the adult thing to do Im not so sure he wants to....

Reactions: Jim Weist
Hi Everyone,

Im an older guy who bought an Inspire 1 Pro looking to supplement my retirement. I am studying for my 107 and was practicing flight at about 165' AGL and flight path took it over my neighbor's yard about 600' down range of home. His garage blocks my view of his back porch so when I heard 3 shotgun blasts I suspected they were directed at the drone but couldn't prove it. Unfortunately I live in rural southern Ohio with a lot of chemical dependency and this guy is the poster child.

Fast forward 3 weeks and a local sheriff deputy was investigating a disturbance and this guy for whatever bizarre logic bragged to the cop that he tried to shoot my DJI down. What a moron...

So the deputy came to my house and said if I can provide my flight data for that day, he will look into charging him (something about 1st degree endangerment)

Thats my pickle... I have this guy in a teaching moment and tried a cloud synch last night but nothing... only got up to April 2019. Then I got the bright idea to delete the DJI Go app and reinstall and that made it worse. Ive got no local cache of flight data and I am getting a "Sychronizing Flight Records Failed" in the attached screen shot.. I have WIFI on, I logged into my DJI account. Still get the message. What the heck am I doing wrong???
I agree with the posts here that
1) may be best to not be involved
2) a flight log won't add much to the case against him.

But, there is a .DAT log file on the I1 itself that didn't get erased. To see how to retrieve it look here
Retrieving a .DAT from the P3 or Inspire

Reactions: Starz
I agree with the posts here that
1) may be best to not be involved
2) a flight log won't add much to the case against him.

But, there is a .DAT log file on the I1 itself that didn't get erased. To see how to retrieve it look here
Retrieving a .DAT from the P3 or Inspire
Thanks everyone... Your comments fall in line with what my mom advised (I'm 60 and still value her opinion). I'm going to give it a week and then decide.

Regarding the legal side of it, the sheriff said that since he boasted about it to him (directly to the deputy), it's an addmition of guilt and all he wants to see from me is that I wasn't flying too low and harassing people.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom and I appreciate the insight. Sometimes when I get mad my perspective gets a little clouded LOL

I had a similar situation last fall, in Southern Idaho USA, only a woman shot in my direction while I was flying my I2. I was filming a subdivision development I provided the local law enforcement with flight logs, videos and pictures, all the evidence necessary to convict her especially when she stood there and admitted to it. After the local **** Tracy finished his investigation I was informed that if I published any videos or pictures that I WOULD BE CHARGED WITH CRIMINAL TRESPASSING and no charges would filed against the woman because she had just moved here from California and was unfamiliar with the Idaho gun laws. Don't waste your time. Get a concealed weapons permit and start carrying a gun.

I had a similar situation last fall, in Southern Idaho USA, only a woman shot in my direction while I was flying my I2. I was filming a subdivision development I provided the local law enforcement with flight logs, videos and pictures, all the evidence necessary to convict her especially when she stood there and admitted to it. After the local **** Tracy finished his investigation I was informed that if I published any videos or pictures that I WOULD BE CHARGED WITH CRIMINAL TRESPASSING and no charges would filed against the woman because she had just moved here from California and was unfamiliar with the Idaho gun laws. Don't waste your time. Get a concealed weapons permit and start carrying a gun.
That's exactly what my wife and I did last weekend lol. Took the class and filed our application yesterday ?

I had someone take a shot at my P4 4 years ago . At the time I thought I had busted a few teenagers doing a drug deal at a local pond. I even posted a funny video about it here.
But then after looking at the video close up , I realized that one of these kids took a shot at my drone.
I contacted police through email and uploaded video , but never heard back from them.
There was no damage to the P4 and I had a good story to tell.

unfortunately someone smashed my mailbox last night... I guess letting it go maybe the adult thing to do Im not so sure he wants to....

I highly recommend security cameras. I have zero crime in my neighborhood, but I recently used the footage to prove to the Post Office that a package marked "delivered" was NOT delivered. I printed up a screen shot of the mail carrier (who was clearly not carrying any packages) and gave it to the supervisor. He instantly recognized the carrier and assured me that the problem would be taken care of. 4 hours later I had my package, which had been delivered to the wrong house.

Not a fly goes on my property without me knowing it. All 12 cameras record 24/7 and store footage for roughly 30 days.

1598119640565.png

NOTE: 5 of these cameras are at my mother's house because she has dementia, so my brother, myself, my GF and his wife have eyes on my mom most of the time. Yes, there's a camera in the bathroom, but as you can see, it's aimed to maintain privacy. I can only see her left foot, which is all I need to see to know she's in there.

D

Last edited:
Speaking as a commercial photographer, I don’t understand why you would photograph or video people or property without their permission. I fly over other people’s property often and always ask if at all possible, the owner or occupent first if they don’t mind. It just seems like common curtesy and good manners. Although in Canada, permission is not required under the news regs., a sticky owner may quite rightly ask “why and for what purpose, and are you filming and what are will you do with the footage?” Put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel?

I am also a published large format landscape photographer shooting in 8 x 10 film. I would just like to clarify I was on a training flight just getting the hang of the bird working my way up to the 107 license. I agree that it is not very ethical to fly over someone's private property filming without their permission and hope that's not the conclusion most people drew.

The I have the X5 camera but it was NOT rolling... if it was I would have had footage of him shooting. Like I said I contacted the FAA and they said it's highly illegal to shoot a drone in the US and it's the same as shooting in an aircraft. This was confirmed by Dave Neef at the Columbus Ohio regional FAA office and I believe his title was regional flight operations investigator. I would be happy to pass along his direct telephone number if anyone needs it. His advice to me was file a local police report with the sheriff, especially if the guy admitted it to the sheriff deputy.

I guess my logic is if you're flying in class g airspace and the FAA considers you an aircraft what prevents the same guy from taking a shot at a Cessna out for a joy ride???

Can’t find in post number one where there was any photo or video of said perp and property was taken.
Did I miss something?
Absolutely not... Someone is drawing conclusions I believe. The camera was NOT rolling!!!!

Speaking as a commercial photographer, I don’t understand why you would photograph or video people or property without their permission. I fly over other people’s property often and always ask if at all possible, the owner or occupent first if they don’t mind.

I guess you only shoot ranch houses out in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise, to shoot one house or building you have to fly over dozens. You do NOT get consent from all residents you fly over.

It just seems like common curtesy and good manners.

Hey look at that news helicopter flying over all those houses shooting video without permission! I guess that's okay. That $50,000 4K camera with a 300x optical zoom is in no danger of invading your privacy.

Although in Canada, permission is not required under the news regs., a sticky owner may quite rightly ask “why and for what purpose, and are you filming and what are will you do with the footage?” Put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel?

I find it ridiculous and preposterous that you are suggesting that pilots randomly pick a property and shoot it. Is THAT what you are suggesting? Who does that???

As professional pilots, we are paid to shoot a given property and/or location. Needless to say, we have permission. The peripheral properties are just going to have to deal with the easement we're flying in legally.

Are you suggesting that amateur/hobby pilots just pick a property and shoot it? If that's the case, then I apologize. I had no idea guys were just randomly picking houses and shooting them. Please clarify.

D

Reactions: Mixchief and JimD
Thumbs up for the LEO that was willing to investigate it. So many times all you hear about is someone flying being "hassled" by the police. Unfortunately without some type of documentation if an arrest was made it would come down to the LEO's word against the word of the shooter. Depending on the court it is very likely the case would be dismissed.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a flaming gaping **** for a neighbor. It is a sad state of affairs when we have to live like this, but as @Donnie Frank posted it may pay to install some cameras on your property.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I guess you only shoot ranch houses out in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise, to shoot one house or building you have to fly over dozens. You do NOT get consent from all residents you fly over.

Hey look at that news helicopter flying over all those houses shooting video without permission! I guess that's okay. That $50,000 4K camera with a 300x optical zoom is in no danger of invading your privacy.

I find it ridiculous and preposterous that you are suggesting that pilots randomly pick a property and shoot it. Is THAT what you are suggesting? Who does that???

As professional pilots, we are paid to shoot a given property and/or location. Needless to say, we have permission. The peripheral properties are just going to have to deal with the easement we're flying in legally.

Are you suggesting that amateur/hobby pilots just pick a property and shoot it? If that's the case, then I apologize. I had no idea guys were just randomly picking houses and shooting them. Please clarify.

D
I have to second that there’s almost no job I’ve ever done where it was unavoidable to film people houses and places without their permission.

Furthermore if it’s in a public place it’s 100% legal.There’s nothing unethical about it.

States have laws concerning surveillance but none of this is surveillance.

Having said that you couldn’t identify anybody in the picture and as for a house what about Google Maps? How is that any different?

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I agree that it’s never ok to shoot at a drone and I hope the shooter is prosecuted. Respect for others is important, walk in the other persons shoes. Pilots flying rotary wing and fixed wing aircraft fly above 500’ & 1000’ respectively except for takeoff & landing or training exercises, and are very likely to loose their license if the abused their privileges. There are privacy laws in most countries that specify your right to take a photograph and what you can do with the image, and that includes your right to photograph property. A person on the ground doesn't know if you are photographing. Why not ask permission first, common courtesy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop