Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Aux power out from I2?

... I've just updated my "FPV for Inspire 2" rig to allow for adjustable FPV Camera angle ...
Great, now I need some explanation. Pardon my ignorance, FPV is not my thing, I'm just curious. The entire setup contains FPV camera, video transmitter and goggles, but the drone itself is controlled by either standard or Cendence radio, correct? How do you monitor main camera and Go 4 app with telemetry?

Great, now I need some explanation. Pardon my ignorance, FPV is not my thing, I'm just curious. The entire setup contains FPV camera, video transmitter and goggles, but the drone itself is controlled by either standard or Cendence radio, correct? How do you monitor main camera and Go 4 app with telemetry?
All correct. And you really can't monitor your GoPro app and main camera, unfortunately. which is a definite drawback particularly when you are a single operator. When I'm using the goggles, I have a little bit of a crack that I can see through down at the bottom and I'm able to glance at my screen a little bit, but you definitely have to be mindful of the time and not let yourself run batteries down etc.

I'm mostly doing this for when I'm on a show and have a camera operator involved. That's when this thing would really shine. Actually if you look at my video in the comments, there's a guy who is showing how to use the lychee app and another app called cavu if you have a smartphone headset will allow you to output the main camera from the Inspire into that setup and use it FPV. I could definitely see doing that for when your single operator and are mainly wanting to shoot forward.
Honestly I'd say this is a pretty niche thing to do with an inspire, but it has some big advantages in certain areas that make it worth doing for some.
I'd say anyone who is working in a dual operator setup would benefit from this type of setup, particularly if you also have a smart controller because you can use that as your second screen for the FPV view while your operator has their own view of the main camera.. which would be a much much better setup than using the built-in FPV camera just from a quality standpoint. I'll probably be working that way quite a bit in the coming months... Without even needing to put the goggles on

All correct. And you really can't monitor your GoPro app and main camera, unfortunately. which is a definite drawback particularly when you are a single operator. When I'm using the goggles, I have a little bit of a crack that I can see through down at the bottom and I'm able to glance at my screen a little bit, but you definitely have to be mindful of the time and not let yourself run batteries down etc.

I'm mostly doing this for when I'm on a show and have a camera operator involved. That's when this thing would really shine. Actually if you look at my video in the comments, there's a guy who is showing how to use the lychee app and another app called cavu if you have a smartphone headset will allow you to output the main camera from the Inspire into that setup and use it FPV. I could definitely see doing that for when your single operator and are mainly wanting to shoot forward.
Honestly I'd say this is a pretty niche thing to do with an inspire, but it has some big advantages in certain areas that make it worth doing for some.
I'd say anyone who is working in a dual operator setup would benefit from this type of setup, particularly if you also have a smart controller because you can use that as your second screen for the FPV view while your operator has their own view of the main camera.. which would be a much much better setup than using the built-in FPV camera just from a quality standpoint. I'll probably be working that way quite a bit in the coming months... Without even needing to put the goggles on
Thank you for detailed explanation. I'm sure you know what you're doing and what is the difference between a Cinewhoop and Inspire 2 class drones. They're crashing these small marvels all the time, yet they survive, while Inspire will not :). Congrats and good luck filming!

Thank you for detailed explanation. I'm sure you know what you're doing and what is the difference between a Cinewhoop and Inspire 2 class drones. They're crashing these small marvels all the time, yet they survive, while Inspire will not :). Congrats and good luck filming!
Indeed... Flying your I2 fpv is not to be taken lightly ?... The pucker factor is pretty high. I wouldn't do it probably if I were just flying recreationally or for real estate or something... But for chasing cars on a show, it actually feels less risky than some of the risks you normally have to take ?
Thanks again for your help getting me going in this!

Reactions: Killboydotcom
When going through Smart Controller we'll get noticeably higher latency - just measured 140-170ms (as opposed to 25-50ms in DJI FPV goggles). So while this Smart Controller setup is nice for camera operator to see what pilot sees it's definitely not that suitable for tight and narrow and close proximity flying for pilot..

I get seasick all the time in goggles, but seems it's the only way right now .. :(

When going through Smart Controller we'll get noticeably higher latency - just measured 140-170ms (as opposed to 25-50ms in DJI FPV goggles). So while this Smart Controller setup is nice for camera operator to see what pilot sees it's definitely not that suitable for tight and narrow and close proximity flying for pilot..

I get seasick all the time in goggles, but seems it's the only way right now .. :(
Now I'm confused ... What Smart Controller has to do with Inspire 2 and DJI FPV? Please elaborate, what exactly setup you're talking about ...

Now I'm confused ... What Smart Controller has to do with Inspire 2 and DJI FPV? Please elaborate, what exactly setup you're talking about ...
Aww, that's a beauty of DJI .. :) You can't have HDMI output straight from goggles when using DJI FPV system. Nor any other system other than using Smart Controller (which normally is used to fly Mavics) - plugging USB cable into it, running separate app and then getting HDMI out from Smart Controller

What @rpossum was previously referring to is that theoretically speaking you don't need to be in goggles when flying using DJI FPV system - if you own Smart Controller you can have HDMI output from it and watch fpv stream from DJI FPV on regular monitor, yet .. what I was referring to is that this setup adds significant amount of latency which makes flying in fpv much riskier..

Aww, that's a beauty of DJI .. :) You can't have HDMI output straight from goggles when using DJI FPV system. Nor any other system other than using Smart Controller (which normally is used to fly Mavics) - plugging USB cable into it, running separate app and then getting HDMI out from Smart Controller

What @rpossum was previously referring to is that theoretically speaking you don't need to be in goggles when flying using DJI FPV system - if you own Smart Controller you can have HDMI output from it and watch fpv stream from DJI FPV on regular monitor, yet .. what I was referring to is that this setup adds significant amount of latency which makes flying in fpv much riskier..
I don't know then what's the point of flying FPV equipped drone without goggles, but - like I said previously - FPV is not my thing, particularly on Inspire ...

I don't know then what's the point of flying FPV equipped drone without goggles, but - like I said previously - FPV is not my thing, particularly on Inspire ...
Well if you want to be aware of surroundings and (as @rpossum mentioned) peek into "main" camera from time to time - then monitor is your choice. Sure it is not as immersive, but FPV stands for First Person View - doesn't matter if it's goggles or monitor you're viewing .. :)

FPV on Inspire - extremely useful thing in *some* cases. Imagine side-tracking a car, you're flying low parallel to the road. Sure thing you can position yourself to stay in LOS and see , but alternative would be to use FPV - then you can stay lower than trees leaving them between you and main camera, creating that "whosh-whosh-whosh" effect when trees etc are passing right in front of your lens ...

1611569954958.png

Or close proximity flying which involves turning - it's so much more convenient when you can see where you fly and you can have that crystal clear quality DJI FPV provides ..

... FPV on Inspire - extremely useful thing in *some* cases ...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm aware of benefits good FPV system is capable to deliver in filming. With Inspire, however, this is definitely a 2 person operation. Since everybody hates me ... well, you know what I mean ... LOL.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm aware of benefits good FPV system is capable to deliver in filming. With Inspire, however, this is definitely a 2 person operation. Since everybody hates me ... well, you know what I mean ... LOL.
Actually I'm lost here :) Who hates, why hates, what for - no idea :)

Anyway – Inspire definitely is 2 person operation, but that does not eliminate great advantage you'd have when flying in FPV.. I'm already picturing flight like this, but done on Inspire, with "proper" camera and separate guy to operate the camera:

It's just my failed attempt to humour you ... I can't find a partner to operate the camera while I'm piloting my Inspire 2, because everybody hates me ... A joke, but indeed I'm using Inspire almost exclusively for landscape photography, all solo in remote wilderness. FPV filming is the last thing in my mind to consider :) ...

It's just my failed attempt to humour you ... I can't find a partner to operate the camera while I'm piloting my Inspire 2, because everybody hates me ... A joke, but indeed I'm using Inspire almost exclusively for landscape photography, all solo in remote wilderness. FPV filming is the last thing in my mind to consider :) ...
Lol, I was afraid perhaps there's some kind of backstory/inside joke I'm not aware of :D

yeah... I got the smart controller because I needed to be able to feed video from the FPV to the production ... director etc... (when I'm actually flying FPV quads)
But my hope is that it will give me a more usable "outside the goggles" FPV view from the Inspire 2 when I am working dual operator. We're shooting in the snow again this year, and since the Inspire's built-in FPV cam has no adjustments and basically totally blows out white in the snow (and is SUPER low-res and always blotchy), I will use the Air Unit and Smart Controller to monitor that view, unless, as was suggested above, latency is just too much. We'll see

Reactions: kronja

Anyway – Inspire definitely is 2 person operation, but that does not eliminate great advantage you'd have when flying in FPV.. I'm already picturing flight like this, but done on Inspire, with "proper" camera and separate guy to operate the camera:

Oh, I forgot to comment on this wintery masterpiece of yours! Haha, I will probably had to change my pants after such flight, but this is where good FPV is shining, indeed. Every cinewhoop maniac will laugh at you, but to me it's exactly what I'll do. Imagine this scenery with a traces of light fog, blue sky and sunlight rays ... I've seen such only once in my life, walking thru with famous Russian Zenith TTL camera ... 36 frames on a roll of B&W film, 3 only left ... None come up with attention worthy shot :( ...

Mission accomplished last week - flies great! Any advice for best practices in mounting the print to the bottom of the drone?

I2FPV.jpg

I22piece.jpg

- Drone Dudes

I originally made these for client that is using Parrot Disco FPV . He noted the goggles would get to hot
after a short period of time using a cell phone . I used the DJI Air FPV and it solved problem same unit fits
in my Inspire drones. Camera tilts 20deg up/down. It works with the the AIR FDJI FPV Air or CaddX Vista FPV

20210211_092631.jpg

Reactions: Killboydotcom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool