Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Advise

Reaction score
Being in Canada, I didn't fly over the winter and recently brought my I1 out of hibernation. When I did firmware updates and recharging of batteries, four of my seven TB47's didn't charge. I sent them back to DJI for repair and they told me they were out of warranty and I could replace them at full price. I thought that the extended down time update would have applied despite the warranty issue.

Question, I've read that the batteries can be reset. Should I just ask for them to be returned and then reset them myself or am I playing with fire?

Appreciate any advise.

Cheers,

Being in Canada, I didn't fly over the winter and recently brought my I1 out of hibernation. When I did firmware updates and recharging of batteries, four of my seven TB47's didn't charge. I sent them back to DJI for repair and they told me they were out of warranty and I could replace them at full price. I thought that the extended down time update would have applied despite the warranty issue.

Question, I've read that the batteries can be reset. Should I just ask for them to be returned and then reset them myself or am I playing with fire?

Appreciate any advise.

Cheers,
If you have suffered the 'hibernation' bug, no amount of resetting will bring the packs back to life.
The bug unfortunately continues to discharge the pack after they have been left undisturbed for over 90days. They actually discharge totally (past LVC) into such a low state that they are unserviceable.
What I find disturbing is that DJI KNEW of this bug, fixed it and made note to it in the last release notes but now want to sidestep their responsibilities in not replacing peoples batteries who have suffered this problem.
To me, this seems a typical corporate underhand and dishonest way of doing business and if DJI were domiciled in the US or Europe they would never be able to get away with it but because they are Chinese they think they are untouchable!
They really should step up and replace peoples batteries that have been destroyed due to their negligence.

Reactions: damoncooper
If you have suffered the 'hibernation' bug, no amount of resetting will bring the packs back to life.
The bug unfortunately continues to discharge the pack after they have been left undisturbed for over 90days. They actually discharge totally (past LVC) into such a low state that they are unserviceable.
What I find disturbing is that DJI KNEW of this bug, fixed it and made note to it in the last release notes but now want to sidestep their responsibilities in not replacing peoples batteries who have suffered this problem.
To me, this seems a typical corporate underhand and dishonest way of doing business and if DJI were domiciled in the US or Europe they would never be able to get away with it but because they are Chinese they think they are untouchable!
They really should step up and replace peoples batteries that have been desteoyed due to their negligence.

thanks editor, i couldn't agree more. dji has proven to be a major disappointment. i say this after i now have two inspire 1's and 3 of 7 batteries working. i've emailed them back and hope they show some sort of honor in their dealings with me, although i'm not holding my breath. i wish i could buy the batteries i need elsewhere and then get them to send me back my old ones and then take the tops off and re-set.

They really should step up and replace peoples batteries that have been desteoyed due to their negligence.

The best DJI could do was offer me 20% discount on the cost of a new battery..

I find this totally unacceptable.

I am selling my Inspire 1 as a result. Too many issues and bu11shit..

I've also filed a complaint with the ACCC here in Australia as regardless of the battery being out of warranty by 5 months, the battery only fully discharged due to their faulty firmware.

Had my house burned to the ground due to the battery exploding I would have taken DJI to court for damages.

IMO there should be a recall on all of these batteries as they've never worked properly from the start. They are faulty, and in typical CHINESE fashion they take no responsibility.

DJI can get farked. I refuse to spend another cent on anything from them.

I can't disagree with any of the comments above.
As an example of how it should be done:
I have an Nvidia Shield tablet which I use for DJI Go testing. A few months back there was a reported problem with a few batteries in them swelling - Nvidia recalled those tablets (by serial number) of which mine was one and replaced it with no quibble. Supplied a protective package and pre paid to send the old one back?
Mrs Editor also has a Toshiba laptop, and there has just been a recall on some of their batteries. Toshiba have issued a small program to check if a users battery is affected. If it is, same as Nvidia, they are swapping them out no quibble.
These companies are stepping up to their responsibilities and doing the right thing.
DJI's moral and fair compass needs re calibrating in this regard or is seriously skewed! :mad:

i appreciate your comments and perspectives all. dji is a very frustrating company and i'm too far in to give up on them. wish i didn't have to say this.

See Lynn Pham posts on resetting discharged batteries. One simply opens the top and disconnects the balance wire and attaches a nmh charger to the battery cells at 2 amps for about 20 minutes. Then chrge as normal

Does this reset the swelling too? It makes the battery shrink right? LOL

I can't disagree with any of the comments above.
As an example of how it should be done:
I have an Nvidia Shield tablet which I use for DJI Go testing. A few months back there was a reported problem with a few batteries in them swelling - Nvidia recalled those tablets (by serial number) of which mine was one and replaced it with no quibble. Supplied a protective package and pre paid to send the old one back?
Mrs Editor also has a Toshiba laptop, and there has just been a recall on some of their batteries. Toshiba have issued a small program to check if a users battery is affected. If it is, same as Nvidia, they are swapping them out no quibble.
These companies are stepping up to their responsibilities and doing the right thing.
DJI's moral and fair compass needs re calibrating in this regard or is seriously skewed! :mad:

I could not agree more. Hopefully the DJI CEO reads these posts. He sees himself as the Chinese Steve Jobs I red somewhere. He has a point if he sees himself that way: in bringing an amazing line of innovative products to the market for very interesting prices. But where customer support is concerned he can not play the game with the big boys of the Western World.

I have had several very disappointing, rude and lazy replies from DJI customer support on honest, normal questions. Only one in 10 questions is answered honestly I think. This is going to cost them customers, because there are emerging more players with other interesting products now. Who do care about customer satisfaction and how to keep their customers happy...

See Lynn Pham posts on resetting discharged batteries. One simply opens the top and disconnects the balance wire and attaches a nmh charger to the battery cells at 2 amps for about 20 minutes. Then chrge as normal
LP is clueless.
These batteries are discharged way below 1v per cell in these circumstances. No amount of gentle coaxing or otherwise will rescue a destroyed Lipo in this scenario.

Reactions: Ward Paterson
After purchasing a Phantom 2 vision +, Phantom 3 Professional and Inspire 1, I am done with DJI!!! Every time I use one of them I have a problem. Mostly with signal loss. They offer an educators discount but try getting it. I'm siting here as we speak waiting for a Yuneec Typhoon H Hexacopter to arrive at my door from Fed Ex. I'm hoping I have better luck with this company!

Reactions: Ward Paterson
Never wanting to defend big Corp., it would be great if DJI were a little more accommodating. However the Inspire 1 is not a toy for casual weekend fun unless u have pots of loose change. The Inspire 1 pro that I own is state of the art technology, leading edge capability available to help innovative people enhance their business (I'm a photographer). This is a professional tool and all DJI maintenance recommendations and precautionary notes should be followed to the letter. Clearly the batteries are a weak link but I recommend joining Healthy Drones, track every use, recycle the batteries after max 20 uses and if left unused for more than 2 weeks then I think the recommendation is to discharge and recharge to 50%. Store in a metal box in a cool place. When this technology becomes more common place and well tried, then we can become more casual. Just my thoughts, good luck.

Please don't shoot the messenger...but here's another link for trying to recover a 'dead' battery:
How to fix a bricked DJI Inspire 1 battery

As a newbie I've no idea if it works!
Yup - that method is well known for resetting the logic board and bringing a 'bricked' battery back but unfortunately it will not work for a pack that has had its chemistry destroyed by severe over discharge to below 1v per cell.

Never wanting to defend big Corp., it would be great if DJI were a little more accommodating. However the Inspire 1 is not a toy for casual weekend fun unless u have pots of loose change. The Inspire 1 pro that I own is state of the art technology, leading edge capability available to help innovative people enhance their business (I'm a photographer). This is a professional tool and all DJI maintenance recommendations and precautionary notes should be followed to the letter. Clearly the batteries are a weak link but I recommend joining Healthy Drones, track every use, recycle the batteries after max 20 uses and if left unused for more than 2 weeks then I think the recommendation is to discharge and recharge to 50%. Store in a metal box in a cool place. When this technology becomes more common place and well tried, then we can become more casual. Just my thoughts, good luck.

I am happy with my Inspire, but what I have read here and elsewhere, I decided that DJI is just a little pathetic company with pathetic trade practices! In addition, if one proclaims this truth on the DJI forum, move the moderators for the cowardly act "to suspend you"! Simply childish! This is outrageous !!! This is the only reason why I will be left forever that site!

You know you are getting old when you can't understand the content of a post. I'll get my coat then...time to head for the old folks' home...

In understand your post very well. Only I want to make the point, with your post about the DJI politicians and their corporate culture. My reaction have nothing to do with your post, sry.

I've been a big DJI fan for a long time.

However this is the last straw for me. They've made too many amateur mistakes, including failing to look after the customer.. I can deal with all the other issues with the Inspire, but when a company knowingly puts my family's safety and home at risk of being burnt to the ground without apology, full replacement of the defective part or even admitting fault, that's the nail in the coffin.

I can't do it any more...

@Reddy Kilowatt I too have ordered a H... My Inspire with only 10 flights under its belt is up for sale..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo