Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best / Safest way to use Inspire 2 Battery for long life

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Another newbie question about TB50 battery
I've read a lot on the subject and there are so my opinions that i'm more confused than before my research.
Here are few simple questions about how the TB50 should be use correctly for a "long healthy life".
1- What is the best / correct draining level ? ( Meaning,if you can choose exactly when to stop the drone,is there a best / correct level ? ) Like 10% or 15% or 20%
2- How long can you keep a battery at that "correct drain level" without causing permanent damage before recharging it ? ( 24hrs,few days...a week )
3- If a battery is about half empty ( 50% ),should you empty it more before recharging it or it doesn't matter ?
4- Does "deep decharging" is a good thing and if yes,you should do it after how many cycles ?
Any other battery tips would be welcome...
Thanks !

Last edited:
Hi Guys
Another newbie question a TB50 battery
I've read a lot on the subject and there are so my opinions that i'm more confused than before my research.
Here are few simple questions about how the TB50 should be use correctly for a "long healthy life".
1- What is the best / correct draining level ? ( Meaning,if you can choose exactly when to stop the drone,is there a best / correct level ? ) Like 10% or 15% or 20%
2- How long can you keep a battery at that "correct drain level" without causing permanent damage before recharging it ? ( 24hrs,few days...a week )
3- If a battery is about half empty ( 50% ),should you empty it more before recharging it or it doesn't matter ?
4- Does "deep decharging" is a good thing and if yes,you should do it after how many cycles ?
Thanks !

Must admit I am also confused on the subject and would welcome any clarification.

Peter

Reactions: marctronixx
Hi Guys
Thanks !

My routine, for what it’s worth:

1. Store batteries at 15 to 20 deg C in a dry place.
2. Charge to 100% before use. Go fly.
3. Plan to land by 20% or 3.5v. It’s more important to check minimum cell voltage than rely upon % remaining. Get on the ground pronto if you hit 3.3v!
4. Don’t recharge used batteries until you next need them.
5. If you know you won’t be using the remaining charged batteries for another 7 days, discharge to storage level of 50-60%
6. For long term storage, top up or discharge to storage level as required.
7. Cycle unused batteries (full charge - discharge and back to storage level) every 3 to 4 months.

It’s worked for me for over 5 years of using DJI ‘smart’ batteries.

Reactions: hhung516
Hi Guys
Thanks !

Precisely articulated recipe for dealing with DJI "smart" batteries is nowhere to find, except for general guidance in manuals. However, 5 years of my experience and numerous contributions of other seasoned pilots on related forums may render the following:

1. Storage maintenance is the key for battery longevity.
a. Keep the battery at roughly 50-60% charge if not used within next 2-3 days.
b. Never store fully charged battery for more than 1-2 days. Never store fully discharged battery for more than 1-2 days.
c. Discharge battery down to 50-60% if not used within next 1-2 days (Phantom Angelhttps://phantomangel.rocks)
d. Store batteries at room temperature (ideally in basement).
e. Routinely once every 3 months cycle stored batteries (full charge - discharge and back to storage level).
2. Always fully charge the battery hours only before planned flight.
3. Common practice is to set Low Battery warning to 25% and Critically Low Battery warning to 15%, after which the drone will attempt to land. 20/12% ratio is acceptable, if you dare.
4. Never attempt to perform next flight with partially discharged battery. No need to discharge the battery completely before full charge for next flight.
5. Periodical deep discharging is necessary to maintain well balanced cells. The app will usually display a warning if and when it is required. However, this procedure may be performed at user discretion if cell's voltage displays obvious inconsistency. Voltage discrepancy of +/- .05V may not require immediate intervention, but seeing some cells of fully charged battery at "yellow" level should rise some concerns.

These are vey conservative measures, I admit. I have a total of 36 different DJI batteries (some 5 years old) in use. One only (TB47) lost the capacity prematurely after 2 years and a mere 50 charges, but is still alive. That said, LiPo batteries will deteriorate in time, no matter how well stored/maintained and regardless charge count. Good specimen should provide 150 flights in average, but this estimate may vary widely.

Last edited:
Reactions: hhung516
Thanks for your answer guys !!
I kinda "like to split hair" but i'm a bit crazy too so here is another question...
Would it be better to keep the battery level to 50% (or the equivalent voltage) all the time,meaning,you would land as soon as you reach the 50% level...
that way,your battery would be at the perfect storage voltage all the time and you can charge your battery full charge the same day that you need them
vs
You empty them at 25% all the time and recharge them just enough to reach the 50% level for storage ?

The first option would obviously increase the number of cycles overtime which could "ruin" the battery sooner because you would reach the 150 cycles faster...

The thing is,when you don't have a lot of battery,it's less a problem than when you have a lot of battery to take care.
In the summer time,i fly pretty much every day so i never had a problem,i always land at 15% when the "alarm" go off and i recharge the battery full charge
when there "colder",it's not a problem cause i know i'm gonna use them in the next day or two...
In the winter,which is my first winter as a "drone pilot",i've too much battery for the little time that i can fly so the whole "battery taking care protocol"
become much more important...

Thanks for your answer guys !!
I kinda "like to split hair" but i'm a bit crazy too so here is another question...
Would it be better to keep the battery level to 50% (or the equivalent voltage) all the time,meaning,you would land as soon as you reach the 50% level...
that way,your battery would be at the perfect storage voltage all the time and you can charge your battery full charge the same day that you need them
vs
You empty them at 25% all the time and recharge them just enough to reach the 50% level for storage ?

The first option would obviously increase the number of cycles overtime which could "ruin" the battery sooner because you would reach the 150 cycles faster...

The thing is,when you don't have a lot of battery,it's less a problem than when you have a lot of battery to take care.
In the summer time,i fly pretty much every day so i never had a problem,i always land at 15% when the "alarm" go off and i recharge the battery full charge
when there "colder",it's not a problem cause i know i'm gonna use them in the next day or two...
In the winter,which is my first winter as a "drone pilot",i've too much battery for the little time that i can fly so the whole "battery taking care protocol"
become much more important...
I'm not sure I understand your dilemma ... Enjoy your hobby as much and as often as you feel like and don't worry too much about this 50% thing or estimated life span of batteries. Nothing is written in stone here, some pilots are reporting 200 cycles and going, most have no issues whatsoever, few others are crying about bricked, bulged or plain dead batteries after few flights. I'm not even sure if discharge down to only 50% and following full charge is considered/recorded internally as a cycle. Whatever, I can't see any benefits coming from such strategy. Flying right now in Canada is no joy anyway, unless you're a masochist :) ...

I know i'm overthinking the whole thing but unfortunately that's in my nature,i can't help it...i have to make it perfect even if i know it's not possible. ( some sort of sickness )
You're **** right about one thing...flying in Canada in minus 10° to 20° is not a pleasant experience,my thumbs could confirm you that once they return to their
normal color and flexibility.
After some thinking,i'll place 3/4 of my battery on storage at 50% and only use the remaining 1/4 of them using my 25% drain level and full recharge the day of flying.
Do that for a week or two,then put those 1/4 on storage at 50% and take a new 1/4 of the battery and do the same thing,do that kind of rotation.
It seem like a good alternative for less frequent winter flying...
I'll start that protocol as soon as i can feel my thumbs again...
Thanks for sharing your experience Dobmatt !!
Always appreciate...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido