Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best way to deal with an Irate individual?

Reaction score
I have been flying for about a month now and really enjoy the hobby. Today I had an experience that takes some of the joy out of it. I was flying my I1 on Sunday at a local school/park area, wide open with no one around to bother. As I was flying some guy drives up with his cell phone out obviously in video mode on and starts ranting and cussing that, I better not be flying were his back yard can be seen with the copter because it has a camera and he would shoot it down if he sees it again. First of all I am very considerate individual and would not even think of invading privacy. I was just flying to brush up on my skills. I believe that if this guy can see the copter he thinks it is invading his privacy. Have any of you dealt with some one so hot headed as this individual? The guy was a real nut case to put it nicely. I did not even fly over houses in the nearby neighborhood and was actually shooting video of the small pond area from about 200 ft. high.

Thanks in advance for any guidance in this matter.

Reactions: flyersgirl
We actually carry around a small pamphlet we made up that explains what we are doing, how to contact our headquarters if they have any concerns, and most importantly since the FAA considers them aircraft a little blurb about- 18 US Code 32 pertaining to the willful destruction of aircraft and applicable punishments.

We actually carry around a small pamphlet we made up that explains what we are doing, how to contact our headquarters if they have any concerns, and most importantly since the FAA considers them aircraft a little blurb about- 18 US Code 32 pertaining to the willful destruction of aircraft and applicable punishments.
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the pamphlet you mention available online? This guy was being a real jerk and did not even try to be realistic in the matter. Thanks again

Unfortunately it is proprietary for my company. Pretty easy to knock one up though and carry a few in your case. Saves some headache and also makes you look professional as a disarming tool. Funny enough the other day a cop pulled over and I was like 'Here we go' and he came over, asked if it was the inspire. Told him it was, let him have a go, gave him our business card and a merry moment was had by all!

To elaborate in case you decide to make one, ours has the following:

Brief intro explaining UAS
what we use it for
A couple of random pictures ( no naked women on the other side of a fence... just won't do )
Contact Info
and the following which will help you out-

"While we endeavor to make everyone comfortable with our operations we understand that a few may not. We cautiously remind people that willful destruction of any aircraft is prohibited under 18 US Code subsection 32 with fines and imprisonment as a result"

Its the smallest bit but we have it there specifically for threats like you received in case it needs to be pointed out.

To elaborate in case you decide to make one, ours has the following:

Brief intro explaining UAS
what we use it for
A couple of random pictures ( no naked women on the other side of a fence... just won't do )
Contact Info
and the following which will help you out-

"While we endeavor to make everyone comfortable with our operations we understand that a few may not. We cautiously remind people that willful destruction of any aircraft is prohibited under 18 US Code subsection 32 with fines and imprisonment as a result"

Its the smallest bit but we have it there specifically for threats like you received in case it needs to be pointed out.
That is greatly appreciated, I should be able to put one together. Thanks for sharing the info..

Hey 56speedster..
welcome to inspirepilots.com. .
I suggest being aware of people coming up to you because they might assault you ,especially if there's nobody around. .
If you fly at a beach be aware you might be assaulted. .seems to be common place..
Don't let it get you down its just the way it is..
turbo. ..

As you have a camera on the inspire it would be a good idea to film the situation just in case you get set upon by the idiot, then you can get them done:)

My neighbor calls the police on me about every 2 weeks. She actually calls 911 because as she says "that **** drone is blocking fox news!" I **** you not, the cops told me that was her words. I usually try to snap a few sunset shots once a week and she will immediately come outside, with phone in hand and tell me she is calling the police. I am at a point now where I bring the drone down, within my property line and film her on the phone with the police. I give no ***** about her anymore. and neither do the police.

Profanity removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey 56speedster..
welcome to inspirepilots.com. .
I suggest being aware of people coming up to you because they might assault you ,especially if there's nobody around. .
If you fly at a beach be aware you might be assaulted. .seems to be common place..
Don't let it get you down its just the way it is..
turbo. ..
I appreciate the Input Turbo. I try to avoid being around people anyway but this guy drove around until he found me. Luckily I had my brother with me or no telling what the idiot would have done. I am locating other places to fly. Again thanks for your thoughts.

My neighbor calls the police on me about every 2 weeks. She actually calls 911 because as she says "that **** drone is blocking fox news!" I **** you not, the cops told me that was her words. I usually try to snap a few sunset shots once a week and she will immediately come outside, with phone in hand and tell me she is calling the police. I am at a point now where I bring the drone down, within my property line and film her on the phone with the police. I give no ***** about her anymore. and neither do the police.

Profanity removed.
It just goes to show you that their are plenty of nuts and they are not on the trees! Thanks for the comment. Keep enjoying your copter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry