Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Beware of "Drone Haters" - today I got spat on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jack. Sorry to here about your problem. My question is, "What are you going to do the next time this happens?" Turbodronepilot talks about options. Calling the cops, ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!! I'm not a lawyer, but this a clear case of assault. You had an opportunity to film the confrontation, I1 in flight or land the I1 and keep the camera on. I pray that this kind of crap doesn't happen again. Good luck brother.....
Ya film the confrontation. .. that way you can watch your beating over and over, that is if he didn't use the inspire1 to beat you with and the camera still works...
I could just see the op as he tries and hover above the jerk off and the jerk freaking out more smashing his controller into a thousand pieces as the inspire hovers until a failsafe landing. .
then if you do make a report ..what then..go to court??
Ya you'll get justice there for sure. ..hahaha
turbo. ..

Reactions: sdjackaerial
1. Set Inspire to RTH
2. While looking like you're deeply focused on flying, side-step, then low sidekick to the knee.
3. If the other guy hasn't run away yet, 2-handed face-smash using that handy metal bar on the TX.
4. Cancel RTH, regain control while whistling a happy tune*

*Note: Please don't attempt without several years of hand-to-hand training ;)

P.S. Someone coming within arms-reach of me in a threatening manner is:
a) A coward, because I'm obviously focused on flying (as I should be).
b) Going to lose function of at least a couple limbs, as I legally defend myself.

P.P.S Since these things are classified as "aircraft" in many countries, aren't there some really nasty laws about interfering with the legal flight of an aircraft, thereby creating a public safety issue? Throw the book at 'em, I say...

Yes gwhiz2k. .
that's the Steven Sagal method. ..must be a bad A for this option to work and not backfire on you ,but would be the preferred way of defusing the situation. .
of course you have to start out by asking the jerk if he's a tough guy..
then smash him....
turbo. .

of course you have to start out by asking the jerk if he's a tough guy..
then smash him....
turbo. .

True, there's always a danger that the other guy has some training, but in my experience, people that have real training don't usually go around acting like dicks. If I'd ever acted like a bully, my sensei would have beat me senseless I'm sure...

More humour:

Me: "Are you a tough guy?"
Him: "Yeah, so what?"
Me: "Good, this won't hurt you as much then..."

(just kidding, but that would be a good line for a movie...)

Hey friends--OP here.
Thanks for the love / support. I appreciate your responses, varying from humorous to serious.
It's definitely a situation where I wish I had made different choices, or come up with different responses. Obviously I wish I would have had the clarity to RECORD IT ALL. Sheesh. As I was flying back when it was escalating, I pressed stop as I was figuring out where to land safely, (which became my only concern, for better or worse. There was just too much happening, and happening fast.

I have to say that the few people on this thread who talked of involving a gun is terrifying to me. Our community (professional and hobby-level) doesn't need a "Drone flying involves shooting" kind of media story attention, and other than that, I *personally* (just me here) can't dream of shooting someone over words and spittle on the beach--*regardless of being spat at*. But that's always been me. Not trying to start a "gun rights" discussion here, please I beg you.
And as far as staying around and calling the cops, etc, sure in a perfect situation I'd LOVE to see him driven away in a cop car--are you kidding?
But after I landed, I did fear other possible negative outcomes..like my Inspire being smashed in the meantime (waiting for cops) ..or getting cop who was a **** about drones, and the situation turning REALLY ugly about me even *being there* with my quadcopter.

Which leads me to my next thought.
And it's taken some hard looking at the situation, and how it all played out. But I have to be honest with myself and say that I SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE. Too many people. Too busy.
But I *also* clearly understand that making that choice doesn't mean that I can be spat at. I know what he did is considered assault. And another thing I have to admit is that it went through my head that it was too busy before I took off. But I did it anyway.
So, I've pretty much incriminated myself here. So be it. The honesty in this forum is something I've appreciated and have learned much from other people admitting their mistakes.
Learn from mine:
1-There are scary assholes who hate us enough to assault us verbally and physically.
2-I should listen to my gut about my comfort level about flying at any location.

Op sounds like a west coast beach? If it's east coast please let us know the beach. I have a few weeks off.

Hey friends--OP here.
Thanks for the love / support. I appreciate your responses, varying from humorous to serious.
It's definitely a situation where I wish I had made different choices, or come up with different responses. Obviously I wish I would have had the clarity to RECORD IT ALL. Sheesh. As I was flying back when it was escalating, I pressed stop as I was figuring out where to land safely, (which became my only concern, for better or worse. There was just too much happening, and happening fast.

I have to say that the few people on this thread who talked of involving a gun is terrifying to me. Our community (professional and hobby-level) doesn't need a "Drone flying involves shooting" kind of media story attention, and other than that, I *personally* (just me here) can't dream of shooting someone over words and spittle on the beach--*regardless of being spat at*. But that's always been me. Not trying to start a "gun rights" discussion here, please I beg you.
And as far as staying around and calling the cops, etc, sure in a perfect situation I'd LOVE to see him driven away in a cop car--are you kidding?
But after I landed, I did fear other possible negative outcomes..like my Inspire being smashed in the meantime (waiting for cops) ..or getting cop who was a **** about drones, and the situation turning REALLY ugly about me even *being there* with my quadcopter.

And it's taken some hard looking at the situation, and how it all played out. But I have to be honest with myself and say that I SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE. Too many people. Too busy.
But I *also* clearly understand that making that choice doesn't mean that I can be spat at. I know what he did is considered assault. And another thing I have to admit is that it went through my head that it was too busy before I took off. But I did it anyway.
So, I've pretty much incriminated myself here. So be it. The honesty in this forum is something I've appreciated and have learned much from other people admitting their mistakes.
Learn from mine:
1-There are scary assholes who hate us enough to assault us verbally and physically.
2-I should listen to my gut about my comfort level about flying at any location.
Very well said.
I have CAA certificatiion/permission for commercial work here in the UK and one of the most important things we have to consider before even getting the rig out of the car is "can the flight be made legally and safely?"
If the answer to that is no, or even doubtful then I do not make the flight.
Remember..... Take Offs are optional, Landings are obligatory!
I'm really sorry you had to endure this abuse but I am very pleased you did the right thing and your Inspire lived to fly another day.

Reactions: sdjackaerial
Op sounds like a west coast beach? If it's east coast please let us know the beach. I have a few weeks off.
West coast, but you know this could happen anywhere. I have some pretty "un-chilled" east coast friends and relatives..LOL.

The point is, not everyone likes to be filmed. I think you did well not escalation the situation. That never helps.
I see the urge to shoot interesting objects. What i do when i come to a location i do like to shoot, i ask
the people if its ok if i do this and if they want to perform for the camera a bit. Even asking them to show of some tricks, that motivates.
That breaks the ice, all the time.

I think this is entirely relevant for this discussion: This kid was flying his quadcopter, and a woman assaulted him after accusing him of the same thing as the OP got accused of. Luckily he got it on on video, and she was charged. It's really scary how irrational people can be over this. YouTube comments about shooting drones further underscore that. I think people have a bad idea of what these UAV's are about, fed by media and politicians to some extent.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...ating-drone-operator-assault-caught-on-video/

Reactions: turbodronepilot
It's really scary how irrational people can be over this. YouTube comments about shooting drones further underscore that. I think people have a bad idea of what these UAV's are about, fed by media and politicians to some extent.

Totally agree, media feeds into the fear of people.
We can and have to educate by showing what we do in a friendly manner (Sometimes hard to do)

I think this is entirely relevant for this discussion: This kid was flying his quadcopter, and a woman assaulted him after accusing him of the same thing as the OP got accused of. Luckily he got it on on video, and she was charged. It's really scary how irrational people can be over this. YouTube comments about shooting drones further underscore that. I think people have a bad idea of what these UAV's are about, fed by media and politicians to some extent.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...ating-drone-operator-assault-caught-on-video/
this is terrifying.

West coast, but you know this could happen anywhere. I have some pretty "un-chilled" east coast friends and relatives..LOL.
I was sure it was west coast.. I do freestyle/freeride stand up jetski and I've read some similar stories about the surfers trying to start some **** with those guys too. Very territorial I guess. I welcome the opportunity to fold somebody up like a lawnchair if I ever get approached like that.

Hey friends--OP here.

Learn from mine:
Unfortunately we just can't go around shooting people we want ..it was a thought though ...
I don't think you brought it on by flying where you did..
ya maybe it would have been better to fly somewhere else ,but that doesn't give the jerk the rite to spit on you..
glad you responded correctly. .don't let it bother you..
turbo..

ya, another thing I learned from my experience is to make sure it's recorded. Period.
Yes please do..
if your not using a screen recoding device like Mobizen it would have recorded your conversation if you had the mic on..
I never fly without it..
Also you would be surprised how many operators carry a gun..
I was ..after reading a post on phantom pilots.com it's pretty clear they're many armed operators. .
bullies beware. ..
turbo. ...

It really pisses me off to hear that. Unfortunately, some people are just not good people and have something to prove. Thankfully, most of my experiences have been positive ones with others. I hope to never have to experience anything like that!

That situation would be very frustrating. You have a guy spitting on you and want to kick his ***, but at the same time you have a 3k dollar drone that's at risk if you fight back. At least you had some guys backing you up. I think I'll be avoiding beach runs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool