Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Boat Landing

if you were launching from a boat, would you therefore not do the compass calibration near the engine? The sorts of boats I'm looking to film have the largest flat surface over the engine cover. the idea is getting worse and worse!

I do not think I would ever catch an Inspire in rough water, we were doing it in calm seas.
When we do this it is far more controlled than you may think. I hover about 5ft above the boat and lower the landing gear. Then the catcher walks under it and grabs it and I turn it off.
I do agree its not for the faint of heart but flying around in the ocean with a expensive craft is not either.We do use gloves.
I have raced motorcycles for 30 years,spent the last 10 years as a chainsaw carver and run a large contracting company that takes logs from the woods and builds homes with them. This hobby of aerial filming is safe compared to all of that!.
That video was bad in the thought that he was close to other people and had it crash,I stay away from people. Endangering ourselves is one thing.
I would use a Phantom with prop guards to film around crowds. I would also give everyone a heads up as to what I was doing and how close I would come.
I bet we could build a pole with a gripper that could be safer to use on the boat.

i will probably do the hand catch once the next firmware comes out that allows us to disable the auto landing gear. I tried to see if my hands would be in the way in the event of the gear coming down and me not being able to shut off the motors - and i discovered my fingers would get sliced.

Once we can disable the landing gear it's a different story all together - loads of clearance and a nice big fat thing to grab on the underside - that should be fine.

can't imagine how you'd hand launch though?!

On another note I had a lot of trouble getting the compass to calibrate on a floating pontoon. A big concrete one calibration error. Although even flying over that area I had trouble. Worse that launching it from the boat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08