Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Brand new Inspire V2, and TILTED HORIZON AGAIN ! UNBELIEVABLE !!

Reaction score
So I have now my FOURTH INSPIRE, a V2, and AGAIN have a tilted horizon.

It is just unbelievable what crap dji is selling.

Not to forget that the V2 is the old version, fcc id 14 ! Which looks like dji is selling old Inspires just with new motors. For doubters, check here: FCC ID SS3-WM6101510 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for DJI Inspire 1 V2.0

All updates done, all calibrations too.

How is that for a 3500 $ machine:

Attachments

• DJI_0014.JPG
    DJI_0014.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 104
  • DJI_0019.JPG
    DJI_0019.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 100
  • DJI_0023.JPG
    DJI_0023.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 100
So I have now my FOURTH INSPIRE, a V2, and AGAIN have a tilted horizon.

It is just unbelievable what crap dji is selling.

Not to forget that the V2 is the old version, fcc id 14 ! Which looks like dji is selling old Inspires just with new motors. For doubters, check here: FCC ID SS3-WM6101510 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for DJI Inspire 1 V2.0

All updates done, all calibrations too.

How is that for a 3500 $ machine:

I think you have made your point as you keep posting the same thing over and over again.
Yes, your are upset.
Yes, you have spent $xxx dollars
Yes, the horizon is tilted (as it is on ALL brushless gimbals the world over to a degree) - see my explanations on this forum about PID values and trust bias between the gyroscope and accelerometers on a brushless gimbal and the difference in behaviour when slow curved movements are made over dynamic flight.
Can you now stop clogging up the forum with your repetitive posts?

Thank You

Mr. Editor, you are confusing something. I am posting here about my brand new Inspire V2, which has these problems. My previous post was about my OLD Inspire, V1.

Mr. Editor, you are confusing something. I am posting here about my brand new Inspire V2, which has these problems. My previous post was about my OLD Inspire, V1.
And they all had tilted horizon?

Yes sir ! Thats why I am so disappointed.
Then my post still holds - ALL gimbals will have some degree of tilt with differing maneuvers.
DJI's Inspire gimbal offerings are not really professional tools (including the X5) - not in the real sense. They are a compromise and as such do not give the end user control over bias between gyroscope and accelerometers. This makes the difference to how the gimbal will behave for certain shots/flight dynamics.
Since you have now gone through four machines its a case of live with it or upgrade to something deemed professional.

Some degrees maybe ok, but not as much as mine. See the pics.

One of my P3P for example, one of the first ones, has an almost perfect horizon.

Not sure if this applies, but I was tinkering with mine, and I noticed that a cross comes up on the screen if I hold the button on the back of the controller. It's angle seems to be adjustable. I am not sure if this is some kind of setting or not since I have not had it in the air since I found this.

why can't you use the documented adjustments to level the gimbal to the horizon? C1 plus the left dial allows gimbal adjustment, doesn't it? Or, am I misunderstanding your issue?

why can't you use the documented adjustments to level the gimbal to the horizon? C1 plus the left dial allows gimbal adjustment, doesn't it? Or, am I misunderstanding your issue?

This is what I accidentally noticed as posted above. I should read the manual lol

Reactions: The Editor
Then my post still holds - ALL gimbals will have some degree of tilt with differing maneuvers.
DJI's Inspire gimbal offerings are not really professional tools (including the X5) - not in the real sense. They are a compromise and as such do not give the end user control over bias between gyroscope and accelerometers. This makes the difference to how the gimbal will behave for certain shots/flight dynamics.
Since you have now gone through four machines its a case of live with it or upgrade to something deemed professional.

Do you know if the X5 Zenmuse mount has the problem to the same degree as the X3 series? Have they made no progress in improving this exasperating issue?

You have repeatedly mentioned an issue between the gyros and accelerometers -- perhaps the IMU needs to be improved.

Does more frequent IMU calibration improve things?

Does the roll error always/mostly drift in the same direction?

Brian

I exchanged my faulty V2 to an Pro. sad to say that the X5 has the same problem, although a bit less than the X3. Its just ridiculous. 5000 EUR machine, and still a tilted horizon ?? Come on. I read that the X5 does not have this problem, so I was excited at first. Unfortunately, not true.

Regrettably I do not yet have my I1 but as I review the design of the Zenmuse mount for the X5 I think I may see something that might cause some of the problem. I'v noted with interest that almost all the tilted horizon issues have the horizon tilted down at the right side and it's this tendency to tilt down on the right side that has peaked my interest.

As I look at the mount the tilt motor assembly is on the right side of the mount when viewed looking forward and without a compensating weight on the left side would tend to produce a torque causing a roll to the right. Given that the motors are almost certainly stepper motors without encoders if it loses counts over time the position will shift. However, if that's the case then a gimbal calibration should fix the problem if only temporarily.

But, since the error appears to be almost always dipping down to the right it's unlikely the IMU would explain that as an IMU unit should drift in other directions from one unit to another. That is,one IMU might drift in a way to cause the lower right issue whereas another might drift the other way or in tilt or yaw. But, drifting in tilt or yaw, unless it happens quickly, is controlled by the operator.

Hopefully, when I receive my I1 X5 next month I'll be able to confirm this observation and perhaps makes some tests to further quantify.

Brian

@Fanti@

I'm not sure if you have tried this, and apologies to you and everyone else if you already know this. The documentation on the I2 is incomplete and does not describe how to do this, so here goes.

The horizon calibration of your gimbal is best done at home on something like your kitchen floor, placing the drone in the centre of the kitchen. Do it without blades attached, just to be safe! Power up the I2 and transmitter, attach your DJI Go App, make sure everything connects and you have an image (with tilted horizon). Line up the camera and drone pointing perpendicular to one row of kitchen cupboards. Use the tilt adjustment of the left hand scroll wheel so the screen centre focus point is on the line between the kitchen cupboards and the floor. Do not worry at this stage that the entire row of kitchen cupboards appears to be tilted.
  1. Hold in the C2 button on the right hand side beneath the transmitter, and while holding in the C2 button, turn the upper right scroll wheel. A horizontal line will be displayed on your OSD. You may have to turn the scroll wheel a lot, on mine I had to turn it through more than two complete revolutions to adjust the horizon so the row of kitchen cupboard looked approximately level. If you only adjust a few clicks, you may not see anything happening because the adjustment resolution is so fine (a good thing!).

2. You can then pan the lens through 360 degrees by holding in the C1 button on the left hand rear of the transmitter, and then adjust pan with the left hand scroll wheel. While panning through 360 degrees, check that the horizon is horizontal in every position.

3. Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 as necessary to obtain as level a horizon as possible through the entire 360 degrees pan movement.

4. Turn off the drone, turn off the transmitter, quit the DJI Go App.
Now when you power up everything again, the horizon adjustment you performed in steps 1 through 4 has been memorised.
If the above instructions are at all unclear, then I could make a YouTube video of the procedure, just ask!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc