Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CAA stated they were not issuing PfCOs......

Reaction score
I contacted the CAA (UAV enquiries) again today chasing my PfCO renewal that I sent in before Christmas.... Having been given various excuses ('could not open the attachment' - 'oh, we can now' etc...), today I was told that 'the CAA are no longer issuing permissions at this time as there is a general 'issue' with insurance'. I checked to see if they meant MY isurance - nope all insurance and 'until further notice' no permissions would be granted. The lady stated that the management were in 'an emergencey meeting' at that time to discuss impact etc.
Has anyone heard what is going on? Without my permission I cannot work - They give a turn round of 28 working days - mine is nearer 40!
I have emailed the UAV enquiries supervisor - nil reponse. Made a formal complaint to the CAA, who have ackowledge it and will reply in the next 20 days - not good!

I contacted the CAA (UAV enquiries) again today chasing my PfCO renewal that I sent in before Christmas.... Having been given various excuses ('could not open the attachment' - 'oh, we can now' etc...), today I was told that 'the CAA are no longer issuing permissions at this time as there is a general 'issue' with insurance'. I checked to see if they meant MY isurance - nope all insurance and 'until further notice' no permissions would be granted. The lady stated that the management were in 'an emergencey meeting' at that time to discuss impact etc.
Has anyone heard what is going on? Without my permission I cannot work - They give a turn round of 28 working days - mine is nearer 40!
I have emailed the UAV enquiries supervisor - nil reponse. Made a formal complaint to the CAA, who have ackowledge it and will reply in the next 20 days - not good!
I believe the problem stems from their understanding of insurance (read that as none).
The CAA are totally clueless when it comes to insurance and have no understanding of policies and what they cover for commercial purposes.
I believe many potential PfCO applications have been accompanied by inadequate and totally unacceptable cover (FPV/hobby cover) with either a 'promise' that full commercial coverage will be in place as soon as PfCO is issued. This was a way of individuals not paying for their coverage to start until permission had been granted and thus not stumping up for Insurance they cannot use.
The CAA are not qualified to look at an insurance policy and legally interpret it's coverage and I can only assume they (or a PfCO holder) may have been caught out with possibly a claim pending.......

Have you contacted any insurance companies to see what their lowdown is on this?

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

I haven't got this far - but can a cover not start from when permission from CAA is given, as the insurance company would need to see your paper permission?
No.
And there lies the problem.......
The CAA should not be issuing PfCO without checking that insurance is in place which is what has been happening (allegedly).
You purchase your insurance with a declaration so PfCO is not necessary to purchase cover.
Your insurers may ask for a copy of your PfCO once issued but some do not. However all will issue policies without PfCO in place based on your proposal/declaration

Hi guys,

I will speak with the UAV enquiries team again tomorrow (I now have their direct line!) to get some clarification. If they are not isuing Permissions for those asking for renewals I assume those with current Permissions are not covered either? Big impact stuff - will keep you updated...

Mike

Reactions: The Editor
Hi,

I have just spoken with the UAV enquiries team at Gatwick. They have apprently 'sorted' the issue with insurance and will now continue to issue permissions. They would not go into detail as to what the 'issue' was (although I only spoke to the reception so they may not actually have known themselves).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44