Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Can I leave the Inspire 1 assembled and ready to fly?

Reaction score
Website
www.caseyimaging.com
I tend to keep my Inspire 1 on a benchtop, with props and proplocks on, with gimbal and camera on and with the landing gear down (not flattened into travel mode). In other words, I don't dis-assemble it and put it back in it's case at all. When I travel with it, I've made a foam cradle which holds the aircraft, and softly holds the camera and gimbal so it can't flop around while travelling in the car. My question is - Am I doing the Inspire 1 any harm by doing this? The reason I ask is everyone seems to talk about taking props off and travel mode etc.

Also, I've noticed that when people talk about cases etc for the Inspire 1, they always talk about "storage for 3 sets of props" or similar. I have always wondered - Is there something wrong with me using one set of props continuously? Why would there be a necessity to carry 3 spare sets of props? My original set of props seem fine after 6 hours of flying time.

Hi John,

Travelling with the Inspire in flight mode will not cause it any harm at all. It has its travel mode because that's the only way it will fit into the case supplied with it. I have purchased a GPC case which allows me to travel in flight mode while the Inspire is fully protected and also it carries all the accessories as well. Ideal if you're travelling long distance or on an aircraft. As long as your Inpire is secured in your car so it doesn't get damaged then you'll be absolutely fine.

You don't need to carry 3 sets of props but it is advisable to carry a spare black-top and silver-top just in case you clip something and break or damage one of the 4 on your bird. Trust me, you feel pretty bloody stupid if you've driven to a job or some distance to film something and you are unable to because your spare props are at home! It's happened to me so in my case I carry a full replacement set. It's very unlikely that you will ever break all 4 props in an incident (and still have a functioning Inspire) so if space is tight, just take 2 spares. They don't wear out.

Thanks for that. Does your GPC case allow for travel / storage with props on? I would like to get a case that allows me to take the aircraft out ready to use, without having to assemble it prior to flying. I think I'm a bit paranoid, but in my mind, the less times I assemble and disassemble, the less likely it is for something to go wrong, or to miss something. Also, it just seems much more efficient. But thanks for the answer, because I have been wondering if returning to travel mode is better for some reason. As you can tell, I'm very new to the drone scene, and am taking it pretty slowly so I'm not using it for any "jobs" - just practicing to get more proficient. But I will take a spare set of props with me and hope that I don't need them.

I do not believe that 'assemble/disassemle' has any effect on this quad. From that perspective it seems to be a very hearty bird. If it makes you feel better and its easier to not 'secure it for travel' then that is your choice and yes in my opinion you are being a bit paranoid.

Hi John,

Travelling with the Inspire in flight mode will not cause it any harm at all. It has its travel mode because that's the only way it will fit into the case supplied with it. I have purchased a GPC case which allows me to travel in flight mode while the Inspire is fully protected and also it carries all the accessories as well. Ideal if you're travelling long distance or on an aircraft. As long as your Inpire is secured in your car so it doesn't get damaged then you'll be absolutely fine.

You don't need to carry 3 sets of props but it is advisable to carry a spare black-top and silver-top just in case you clip something and break or damage one of the 4 on your bird. Trust me, you feel pretty bloody stupid if you've driven to a job or some distance to film something and you are unable to because your spare props are at home! It's happened to me so in my case I carry a full replacement set. It's very unlikely that you will ever break all 4 props in an incident (and still have a functioning Inspire) so if space is tight, just take 2 spares. They don't wear out.
G'day Pete, I'm unsure if I've already asked you this and if I have, I apologise in advance! Would it be safe to leave the cam on whilst it's in the GPC? I'm almost ready to buy the GPC flight/landing mode version possibly with the help of @turbodronepilot !
Thanks.

Last edited:
G'day Pete, I'm unsure if I've already asked you this and if I have, I apologise in advance! Would it be safe to leave the cam on whilst it's in the GPC? I'm almost ready to buy the GPC flight/landing mode version from All e RC.
Thanks.

I do if I'm just putting it in the car to drive from point a to point b. If I'm going to travel any distance though, or if the case is going to be thrown around or handled by anyone other than myself then I'll take the camera off and store it in its box.

Reactions: sirnikolas
I am building a case that will house the inspire ready to fly ,2 controller and 2 batteries,spare props all the equipment
required for the inspire ,it will be a good size case and fit in the back of a wrangler jeep
i have one for the phantom2---ready to fly

I do if I'm just putting it in the car to drive from point a to point b. If I'm going to travel any distance though, or if the case is going to be thrown around or handled by anyone other than myself then I'll take the camera off and store it in its box.
Do you put anything around the cam to protect it or does it sit in there securely?
Thanks.

Actually my other problem is not being able to get the map to show on the iPad in the bottom left hand corner of the app when in the field and flying.
Hey john and welcome to the forum. ..
I'm like you, I believe the less you take things apart the less wear you will have. .
I drive mine to and from places rtf ..don't use the case much...
no camera support or anything. .
probably a good idea to have a set of props on hand..
happy flying
turbo. .

For those leaving everything assembled maybe a 3D printed thing like this would be good for the Inspire.
This is one designed for the Phantom I might get for my PV2+. Seems weird to let either gamble just wobble around when its not on and rigid.

Anyone with a 3D printer wanna make one?

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 8.15.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-28 at 8.15.32 PM.png

Reactions: sirnikolas
the case i built for the phantom which i will do for the inspire is all custom cut foam so it supports the camera etc,nothing moves ,toss it in the back of the jeep and away you go.
Its 1/4 plywood latches and a handle stained up, not real pretty but nothing that looks like a drone case to steel either

the case i built for the phantom which i will do for the inspire is all custom cut foam so it supports the camera etc,nothing moves ,toss it in the back of the jeep and away you go.
Its 1/4 plywood latches and a handle stained up, not real pretty but nothing that looks like a drone case to steel either
How much will you be selling them for?
And how much to ship to Melbourne Australia! :p

here is the case i have for the phantom2 ,everything is in the case including the camera mounted and fpv
its rugged and can take the bumps,its 27x21x10 in deep

Attachments

• two.jpg
    two.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 28
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 27
i posted the photos of my phantom case so you can see it,will have an inspire full case soon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207