Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Can Inspire Footage Be Used for Television Broadcast

Reaction score
Guys

if a client wants to pass an inspire video to a uk television station what format does it need to be in?

If he has it in a format that uploads to YouTube for example is it good?

Or do you just send him the original sd card so the television station can do their thing?

VMT

Guys

if a client wants to pass an inspire video to a uk television station what format does it need to be in?

Or do you just send him the original sd card so the television station can do their thing?

VMT
I would say that the standard .mov 1080p format would be usable by any TV station (using NTSC or PAL as applicable for the country). The best means to send it would be via DropBox or something like MailBigFiles.

Thanks.
Having no knowledge of this I would have said 4k as this would keep all their options open.
However you live and learn!
I suppose I will wait and see with what they come back with.Just wanting a heads up prior......

Guys

VMT
Short answer is highly unlikely.
The quality of the files the Inspire spits out are unlikely to be accepted by any broadcast house.
You would have to speak to the producer and ask what format they require to ingest in house.
They will be very specific on bitrate (minimum), codec, color space (sub sampling) as well as black and peak white levels.
Additionally your colours will need to be checked on a vector scope and be broadcast safe.
.MOV or .MP4 are not broadcast formats.

Speak to the production house and see what they say.

The quality of the files the Inspire spits out are unlikely to be accepted by any broadcast house.
You would have to speak to the producer and ask what format they require to ingest in house.
They will be very specific on bitrate (minimum), codec, color space (sub sampling) as well as black and peak white levels.
Additionally your colours will need to be checked on a vector scope and be broadcast safe.

Thanks

Didnt realise footage unlikely to be no good.
Bear Grllys had the contestants using go pro strapped to their bodies whilst on the island.Numerous video blogs/documentaries use footage from go pros.
Are go pros better than the Inspire fc350 for this application?

Thanks

Didnt realise footage unlikely to be no good.
Bear Grllys had the contestants using go pro strapped to their bodies whilst on the island.Numerous video blogs/documentaries use footage from go pros.
Are go pros better than the Inspire fc350 for this application?
Yes but the gopro footage is shot by the production team then passed to post who will then produce a broadcast legal file from it after colour correction, levels being set gamma curves being tweaked and REC709 LUTS being applied.
Your best bet is to speak to the production house and get an EXACT specification for file format or ask them if they will accept a file from the Inspire......they will need to see a sample file.

spot on thanks.

I new the answer was to supply exactly what they wanted.

Just wanted a heads up to potentially what they may ask for.

I tend to try logically break things down to the art of the possible especially when I am in the "research" phase of a new venture.

I mean when a woodburning stove installer tells you they will charge 2k for one day of work to install a wodburner you go hmm 2x30=60k a month. Not having that!! Oh matron I veer off topic.......

Any muchos gracias for throwing some light on my question.

Guys

VMT
I know there are different standards used over seas but here in the USA I have had my work used by NBC as well as several news agencies. NBC cut my video right into their broadcast of "The Voice" and it was unnoticeably different from their own. The head cameraman I worked with just asked that I shot at 30 fps because thats what they shot in. Find out what they will be shooting at and make the changes. As long as the frame rate matches they can take care of the rest with there $100,000s in equipment and training.

Looking for a video on YouTube. It is the Sawyer Fredericks homecoming video. He was actually the winner in the end.

The slight;y longer answer ..... by one letter is YES

Actually we have had footage shot from both the Inspire and even the Phantom 2 V + used by many broadcasters.
Even the BBC commissioned phantom 2 V+ work from us for a 3 part documentary series that aired on Easter Sunday PRIME TIME. They just specified 1080p 24 frames per second in PAL format and did standard colouring in post as they do with any footage.
Our Inspire footage has appeared in commercials and music videos and documentaries broadcast in many different countries. If we are not editing it ourselves then we simply supply the original file as it was shot We just make sure to shoot at the same frame rate as the other cameras being used.
With the inspire I always recommend recording in 4k as it provides the editors the opportunity to crop into the video and retain quality therefore improving the framing if required.
Our standard studio control room equipment is now built to accept all sorts of inputs and BROADCAST them right to master control and out on air! The one sitting in front of me right now takes SDI ( Hi Def and Standard Def) 2k, 4k, HDMI, Component, Computer feed ( over a network) pre loaded videos in MP$, MOV and other formats and wonderfully any mix of the above together. All of the video scopes can be analysed and adjusted through the controller.

Work that is submitted for inclusion in an edited output can be colour corrected and correctly processed by the editor.

Im not saying that this footage will be of quite the quality delivered by a 50k ikegami but it will be considerably better than shaky aerial taken holding a camera in a bel jet ranger with the door off being buffeted by the wind!

Just in case the question is raised .... I was a broadcaster .... quite literally holding broadcast license in the uk (OFFCOM ) and in the caribbean having owned two television station and been the CEO of a further two.

To the OP ... the uk generally wants 24 frames per second shot in PAL

Found it. It is episode 25 of season 8. You will see my footage at 1hr 8mn 36sec. That is the first shot. You will see two more in the next minute. One is the shot over the bridge and the last is a crowd shot during the concert. All very obvious aerials.
Youtube Link:

When I've asked about commercial shoots the response has been in North America use the 4K @ 30 frames. And broadcasting stations liked using the final output @ H.264 or MPEG-4.

Found it. It is episode 25 of season 8. You will see my footage at 1hr 8mn 36sec. That is the first shot. You will see two more in the next minute. One is the shot over the bridge and the last is a crowd shot during the concert. All very obvious aerials.
Youtube Link:
Good stuff Mazz
I'm Inspired

Mazz, great to see a post such as yours, we all learn more from these posts then having some guys running into power lines or into a side of a building. Thanks for sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters