Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Capture audio

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in capturing audio on the Inspire 1, yes I know most of the time I'll hear rotor noise and wind however for motorsport there is just no alternative to not having engine/exhaust sound with the video.

I did think of having a hand held sound recorder or placing microphones on the track however they would be limited to set points and not exactly where the drone is going to be flying.

My thoughts are if the microphone/sound recorder is mounted on the top it would be less susceptible to rotor wash. Or, would it be better under the fuselage? Or should I tuck it behind the main cowl?

What are your ideas?

I'd put recorders around the track, close to the public etc then take small sound clips that may or may not be related at all to the image on the screen but sound appropriate enough.

Recording onboard would just give you unuseable garbage IMO, you'll probably barely even hear the sounds you want.

Reactions: damoncooper
I purchased a small voice recorder off of amazon and velcro'd it to the backside of it. I tried it today to see how it would do. It sounds just like all the other Phantom videos with Gopros that capture sound. A lot of wind and prop noise but sometimes it actually sounded decent depending on the direction I was flying. I got sick of silence so it's better than nothing.

I purchased a small voice recorder off of amazon and velcro'd it to the backside of it. I tried it today to see how it would do. It sounds just like all the other Phantom videos with Gopros that capture sound. A lot of wind and prop noise but sometimes it actually sounded decent depending on the direction I was flying. I got sick of silence so it's better than nothing.

Hey there!

Do you mind sharing a video/audio please?

Motorsport is pretty loud and I'm sure it'll overcome the prop noise and wind. Even then, prop noise and wind adds to the environment? :)

Hey there!

Do you mind sharing a video/audio please?

Motorsport is pretty loud and I'm sure it'll overcome the prop noise and wind. Even then, prop noise and wind adds to the environment? :)
Sure. I'll try to upload it tonight. If not, I'll have it up tomorrow.

Why not hang a small audio recorder at the end of a 30 ft. string dangling from the Inspire?

http://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Activated-Recording-Battery-Extended/dp/B00ANU4P26/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424754474&sr=8-3&keywords=tiny audio recorder

It only weighs 0.6 ounces, and if you dangle it 30 ft. or more it should capture mostly the car engines and very little prop noise, depending on which sensitivity mode you choose. The tiny weight of the recorder shouldn't affect flight characteristics at all. Naturally, you'd have to be aware of snagging the string on power lines and light poles, but I assume you do this already if you're a good pilot.

Last edited:
Won't remove the wind though, and I'm not sure I want to land with a piece of string that can go back into the props.

Won't remove the wind though, and I'm not sure I want to land with a piece of string that can go back into the props.

Just tuck it inside one of these and you won't hear any whisper of wind noise:

http://www.amazon.com/Movo-WS4-Micr...F8&qid=1424762165&sr=8-22&keywords=windscreen

Getting string caught up in the props means you're practicing lazy landing techniques. If you're that worried about it, then just lower the Inspire until you can reach up and pull off the audio recorder (using a quick release knot they taught you in Boy Scouts) from the bird and then land.

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be.

Getting string caught up in the props means you're practicing lazy landing techniques. If you're that worried about it, then just lower the Inspire until you can reach up and pull off the audio recorder (using a quick release knot they taught you in Boy Scouts) and then land.

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be.
It didn't seem complicated until I used my F550 to lift a friend's glider, and when I came back to land the string would not want to stay put on the ground because it was constantly being lifted back up by the downwash turbulence.

It didn't seem complicated until I used my F550 to lift a friend's glider, and when I came back to land the string would not want to stay put on the ground because it was constantly being lifted back up by the downwash turbulence.

Slowly lower the Inspire until you can grab onto the audio recorder with one hand --- then slowly descend the bird a little distance away so you can keep the string taut and not let any loose part of it get caught up in rotor wash.

Like I said, brainstorm the idea a little and you'll see its not that difficult.

Perhaps if you could have a directional shotgun mic, it would negate a lot of the prop noise?
Oh, I'm new by the way...hi everyone! :)

I'd put recorders around the track, close to the public etc then take small sound clips that may or may not be related at all to the image on the screen but sound appropriate enough.

Recording onboard would just give you unuseable garbage IMO, you'll probably barely even hear the sounds you want.
Exactly what you want to do... You can sync way better sound in post. Having a good source is most important, not drone proximity.
Hold you aircraft and you have a poor mans ronin!

Reactions: Kilrah

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44