Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Carbon fiber blades?

The stock props (1345T) are 19g each and I'd guess the CF ones are unlikely to be much less than 14g each and if so the total weight reduction would be about 20g. So, a quick estimate would put the increase in flight time due to weight at about 6 seconds max and very likely less than 4 seconds.

There are other reasons to go with CF props, but weight probably isn't one of them.

Brian

The stock props (1345T) are 19g each and I'd guess the CF ones are unlikely to be much less than 14g each and if so the total weight reduction would be about 20g. So, a quick estimate would put the increase in flight time due to weight at about 6 seconds max and very likely less than 4 seconds.

There are other reasons to go with CF props, but weight probably isn't one of them.

Brian

Carbon fiber props have some unique properties that make them a great choice for many applications compared to stock plastic propellers.

a) CF props are slightly quieter.
A quieter aircraft is helpful in keeping a low profile on commercial shoots and in urban environments or anywhere keeping UAV noise to a minimum is desirable.

b) CF props provide more immediate and precise flight response
More immediate responses to both Pilot and Flight Computer / ESC inputs can help maintain safe, stable flight in situations that need it, such as where flight space is restricted or in wind or environments prone to wind gusts.

c) A more stable aerial photography platform.
With the 14X4.8 CF props especially, users can expect a more stable Aerial Photography (AP) platform, especially in windier conditions.

d) CF props are more efficient.

Reactions: Aleko Peipsi
Carbon fiber props have some unique properties that make them a great choice for many applications compared to stock plastic propellers.

a) CF props are slightly quieter.
A quieter aircraft is helpful in keeping a low profile on commercial shoots and in urban environments or anywhere keeping UAV noise to a minimum is desirable.

b) CF props provide more immediate and precise flight response
More immediate responses to both Pilot and Flight Computer / ESC inputs can help maintain safe, stable flight in situations that need it, such as where flight space is restricted or in wind or environments prone to wind gusts.

c) A more stable aerial photography platform.
With the 14X4.8 CF props especially, users can expect a more stable Aerial Photography (AP) platform, especially in windier conditions.

d) CF props are more efficient.

I'm not against CF props and I'd love to have a few sets particularly the 14x4.8 variety as AP is of far greater interest to me than showing off how fast or nimble I can be.

Do you have any data on the net weight difference taking into account not only the props but the mounting hardware? I'd guesstimated no more than a 5g/prop advantage for CF but it could be less or even heavier than stock so getting real number would be nice.

Brian

I'm not against CF props and I'd love to have a few sets particularly the 14x4.8 variety as AP is of far greater interest to me than showing off how fast or nimble I can be.

Do you have any data on the net weight difference taking into account not only the props but the mounting hardware? I'd guesstimated no more than a 5g/prop advantage for CF but it could be less or even heavier than stock so getting real number would be nice.

Brian

It's about the same. I wouldn't switch to CF to save weight.

It's about the same. I wouldn't switch to CF to save weight.

That's about what I thought and my original post on this said as much. I can see several advantages of CF and beyond superior flight performance for AP being a bit quieter is also pretty helpful.

I'd guess the blades themselves are a bit lighter than the plastic/CF ones that come with it, but the mounting hardware is likely heavier offsetting any weight advantage of the blades.

Brian

I think the stock blades are HDPVC

Agreed. Weight is clearly not one of them and nor is thrust. I understand that the plastic props provide military thrust while CF props offer substantially less thrust. So they're not even energetically economical.
I'm not sure where you get that idea from but static and dynamic thrust comes from the rotational speed (RPM) of the props and the chord (pitch) coupled with the length of the blade and air density.
It's actually more complex than that since dynamic thrust reduces all the way down to zero when velocity of the aircraft is nearing prop pitch speed. You must also take into account an efficiency factor of each prop design.
CF blades are more efficient than plastic/hybrid blades since none of the energy is converted into flex.

Reactions: damoncooper
Carbon Fiber Props vs Plastic. Which is Better?

I've read 5 amateur dissertations on the subject on 3 distinct platforms. They all seem to corroborate the fact that plastic props provide what could be described as military thrust while carbon fibre props are comparatively civilian.

I'm glad you mentioned efficiency. It turns out carbon fibre propellers are notably (yet admittedly not drastically) less efficient as flight times are marginally reduced. This is because less thrust is provided. Carbon fiber props are actually made of a carbon based plastic, it's not the woven construction you think it is, they certainly don't resemble the carbon fibre motor arms in their construction.. no Sir. For double the price and a risk that that on take off the aircraft will spin out of control and obliterate itself due to an inability to compute the new blade on the first flight.. I think not. Thanks but no thanks.

I'm not sure where you're getting that info, but it's well, incorrect.

With regard to construction, the T-Motor CF props are indeed carbon fiber weave with a corkwood core:

upload_2016-3-23_17-45-22.png

Reactions: alabamajack137
You've read 5 amateur dissertations ... Yep, very amateur, and lots of hypothesis.
Where are they getting the crap about less thrust?
Absolute balls. My Inspire AND my P2 were notably improved by CF-reinforced props.
Faster, more nimble, quieter, just nicer behaved in so many ways.
And spinouts? I did Google it, and found NOTHING about DJI CF-reinforced props and spinouts. If you can't ante up some facts and some authority to your ascertations, then don't spout garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all I fly. (14x4.8) I love em. But I would NOT recommend them for folks new to RC, flying in close quarters or inside. They are especially good for AP in windier conditions (I do a lot of AP by the sea) as the blades cut through the wind and I find the AC doesn't bounce around nearly as much. They are measurably quieter and look like they mean business, if that matters to you.

(I do admit to using them to scare the bystanders back 30+ ft if I gather a crowd, saying they are very dangerous and they need to stay WAAAYY back. Had more than a few people ask if they could touch them after I landed and disarmed....)

Just my personal opinion. I realize CF props aren't for everyone, but I love my T-Motors. I can pop the original auto-tightening props with locks on anytime and I do carry both with me everywhere.

View attachment 5640
View attachment 5641
View attachment 5642
View attachment 5643

The second pic from the bottom. What am I looking at? This green lit devise?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez