Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cold Weather Inspire Deaths

Sure, but I knew the power would be fed to the aircraft because of how the battery mod is wired. The only question then was: did DJI really want to ensure only a DJI battery powered the Inspire so badly that they would not only prevent the aircraft from starting if a DJI battery wasn't present but keep checking it's authenticity during flight and be willing to key it drop from the sky if communication was broken with it but power remained on.

I bet they wouldn't let it drop from the sky and I was right, thankfully.
Is there a link to your mod? or images? and what type of power are you using..

This sucks but i fly my i1 in feezing weather and crazy wind with no prob. I keep my batt warm tho but i will be careful from now on just in case.

Pics from yesterday -30c
What are your take off temps and what is your max temp in those temperatures? Would be cry useful to see what the Delta Tº is. Also do yiou have insulation stickers on your craft. All I can see in the second picture is some LED's and Props! Oh and a X3

What are your take off temps and what is your max temp in those temperatures? Would be cry useful to see what the Delta Tº is. Also do yiou have insulation stickers on your craft. All I can see in the second picture is some LED's and Props! Oh and a X3

My solution:

Inflight Battery Warmer | DJI Inspire Forum

I use the blanket now at < 10C add the chemical warmers at < 0C

Keeps me in the optimal discharge range of 20C - 40C

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454249925.312038.jpg

Last edited:
Man I hate hearing this! So bummed for you. Hopefully they will replace everything as it's pretty obvious the battery failed. I noticed after a flight yesterday that one of my packs is exhibiting the same behavior in cell 1 as well and looking back at the flights history has done it every time. I'm still in the break-in period and haven't flown it past 48% (only 5 flights on it so far). I'm definitely not using this pack again. Will be
sending it in but not counting on a replacement....

View attachment 5972

I had an email conversation with the owner of Healthy drones about exactly that thing, he told me like this:

"There are 2 kinds of deviations, minor and major. Your battery seem to have only minor ones, and not major ones, which is considered good. The explanation around 10 deviations refers to the major ones, not the minor... so again you are good over there as well".

So thats why it says "all good, no major deviations found" and then showing green.
Also it says on that website that even a perfect battery has deviations and it is considered normal, but that a lower number is better.
For example my battery that has only 7 charge cycles shows 68.2 deviations on cell 1, and that same cell usually shows around 0.01 V lover than the other cells in the GO app.

I just don't get how DJI can possibly justify implementing a LVC(low-voltage-cutoff)/shutdown mid flight, regardless of conditions or the health status of the battery. There's no way they should give priority to protecting the battery instead of the aircraft in flight. That is just plain stupid... Even my son's rc racing car allows me to disable LVC, overheat protection and over-discharge protection during race conditions - and this is on a car that stays on the ground at the track, not hanging mid air a couple hundred feet above the ground, weighting over 3kg.

Wake up DJI - if there's a problem with the battery, flash the warnings, let the user decide the best course of action. If pilot decides to sacrifice the battery in order to save his aircraft, or possibly maneuver it to a safe location, it is the pilot's call. If pilot is dumb and decides to crash his aircraft in order to save his battery, he can just do a CSC mid flight and take out his drone - one less idiotic drone operator for all of us to worry about.

Last edited:
Chances are if there was no Lvc the cell would just die anyhow and the result would be the same.
Yup - the LVC on Inspire batteries are actually set slightly below 3 volts (under load). At this voltage you have already lost any punch you may get from the pack and it will 'fall off the cliff' at any second and just die anyway.
What DJI have done is set the LVC in such a way that when it kicks in the rebound of the pack will bounce back to just over 3v per cell and prevent irreparable damage occurring by still attempting to draw high current at these depleted levels.

Yup - the LVC on Inspire batteries are actually set slightly below 3 volts (under load). At this voltage you have already lost any punch you may get from the pack and it will 'fall off the cliff' at any second and just die anyway.
What DJI have done is set the LVC in such a way that when it kicks in the rebound of the pack will bounce back to just over 3v per cell and prevent irreparable damage occurring by still attempting to draw high current at these depleted levels.
Were does this info come from?
I think the problem is with a LVC is that IF the software reads it wrong the battery shuts down. Dump the LVC for me. OR again a Pro App that allows pros the choice.

Were does this info come from?
I think the problem is with a LVC is that IF the software reads it wrong the battery shuts down. Dump the LVC for me. OR again a Pro App that allows pros the choice.

Battery mod lessens the strain on the main battery significantly, AND keeps your aircraft flying if main battery shuts off for any reason.

I knew having aux batteries was a good idea but not until the recent rash of "dropped out if the sky with power cut" events did I realize they can potentially prevent those events (lightens the load on main via parallel discharge with aux), and save your aircraft if the worst case happens, allowing you a chance to land safely.

In fact DJI would be smart (sell more batteries) to make this critical power redundancy an option on future batteries/aircraft. I'm sure it'll be a solution that only works with genuine DJI batteries, but hey that's better than falling out of the sky.

I did not check my max temp but before taking off the battery was inside the car i'm guessing around +20c And yes i have insulation stickers.

I did not check my max temp but before taking off the battery was inside the car i'm guessing around +20c And yes i have insulation stickers.

After the fact you can check battery temp during flight by uploading your flight record to healthydrones.com

Thanks will do! not sure how to upload my flight record cuz never had to to but will find it here

If on iOS, hookup iTunes and under your device select apps and scroll down to the installed GO app. There is a folder called FlightRecords there. Drag that to a desktop folder out of iTunes and you have all your flight records there.

Sort and pick the last one (or whatever record you want to analyze) and upload that file. All will be revealed :)

If on iOS, hookup iTunes and under your device select apps and scroll down to the installed GO app. There is a folder called FlightRecords there. Drag that to a desktop folder out if iTunes and you have all your flight records there.

Sort and pick the last one (or whatever record you want to analyze) and upload that file. All will be revealed :)

Sweet thank you :D

Reactions: damoncooper
Just an FYI, I just got back from flying in Lake Tahoe at 15 degree temps while snowing. I just made sure the battery was warm before and took off right away to keep the battery warm during flight.

1hr ago with my P3P the voltage dropped to 3.4v was in the red for a few secs flying half throttle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandyGolds