Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Colour grading D-log Footage

Dare I admit it? :oops:

I kind'a like the look of the "stock" image you were getting from the G85. Yes, it was saturated, but it didn't look over saturated, if you know what I mean. Normal footage that's been over saturated in post has what I call an "acidic" look to it, I don't how else to describe it.

Thanks for sharing!

What you're seeing is dynamic range compression, in concert with the "beating heart" of H264, which is the I-frame refresh every few frames or so. Not sure what the X5 does, but most H264 for broadcast has a cadence of I, P and B-frames that goes something like this every 15 frames: IPBPBPB..PB so if you're seeing the pulsing every half second or so -- it's the H264 codec doing a lousy job trying to cram 4K in to 60 megabit varbiable bit rate.

Cheers

Yeah, I can well believe the "beating heart" thing with I-frame refresh -- makes perfect sense to me. Sadly, DJI or whomever is behind the X5 camera just don't know how to process and/or compress video. It will be interesting to see if the greater bandwidth of 100Mbps of the newer X5S camera eliminates the problem or just reduces it.

Brian

Last edited:
Yeah, I can well believe the "beating heart" thing with I-frame refresh -- makes perfect sense to me. Sadly, DJI or whomever is behind the X5 camera just don't know how to process and/or compress video. It will be interesting to see if the greater bandwidth of 100Mbps of the newer X5S camera eliminates the problem or just reduces it.

Brian

Well, for 1080 Blu-ray quality, you need at least 25mbit for video with high complexity (e.g. blu-ray quality). So this would imply 100mbit for equivalent quality. 60mbit for 4K H264 is simply too low if you don't want to see artifacts like this... The new X5S is intriguing (but really expensive). I use the X5R to get around this issue if I'm really looking for cinema-quality 4K.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP