Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass calibration, toilet-bowl effect

Thanks to everyone for your great insights and information about this issue. It's been extremely helpful and ultimately a flight time saver.
I should add, this is my own practice and people should make their own minds up whether they wish to do the same or follow DJI's recommendations. I cannot be held responsible if you decide to do what I do and your Inspire ends up a fireball in the sky and spirals into the depths of Hell whilst whistling like a banshee! (Thats the legal bit out of the way :p)
Just be mindful to ALWAYS check your mod values before EVERY flight, even between batteries. If any one of them is out of threshold......do NOT fly.
Remember, takeoffs are optional but landings are obligatory!

Finally, I would add, in hundreds of flights across multiple platforms I have NEVER had a compass issue/TBE scenario or any other problems following this method.

Exactly my thoughts and a practice I have kept to for the last two years.
The only reason to do a compass calibration is to give the magnetometer a reference for the magnetic declination at your geographic location.
By doing repeated calibrations you run the risk of unknowingly introducing an error by calibrating near a hidden metallic object. The mod values will adjust for this object but once airborne you are then clear of this anomoly and only the magnetic flux for your declination is acting upon your compass. Unfortunately because a skewed calibration was done on the ground your mod values are now out of the optimum range and your AC flies like it's drunk or worse causes inexperienced pilots to crash.
I have only ever calibrated my compass in a known trusted location.
As far as IMU calibrations, I have done three, one after each FW update and that's it!
Totally agree!

They say, to not do calibrations in the field.. But, what if your flying in a field ?

Would it not be better to do a calibration, in the middle of a field, with nothing around you for half a mile ?

FYI the last two firmware relieces resolved my TBE.

So whatever DJI did to correct this, I thank them!

Best regards,
Steve

I should add, this is my own practice and people should make their own minds up whether they wish to do the same or follow DJI's recommendations. I cannot be held responsible if you decide to do what I do and your Inspire ends up a fireball in the sky and spirals into the depths of Hell whilst whistling like a banshee! (Thats the legal bit out of the way :p)
Just be mindful to ALWAYS check your mod values before EVERY flight, even between batteries. If any one of them is out of threshold......do NOT fly.
Remember, takeoffs are optional but landings are obligatory!

Finally, I would add, in hundreds of flights across multiple platforms I have NEVER had a compass issue/TBE scenario or any other problems following this method.

Thank you for all your info! Could you point me in the right direction for pre flight checks and what those values should be? I had never heard of this till now and feel like I've been flying blind! Mine started telling me it was going into ATTI today and trying to figure that out. I haven't been on here in a long time. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool