Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass went crazy

Reaction score
Hello there guys.
i'm having a bitter issue here. Drone okay, have been using the i2 for 5 years now and lately the compass can't be calibrate...always giving me the error.
tried everything, even replacing the compass for new ones a few times...
No firmware to update and the mesure of the sensor of the compass shows green light to fly...
aleady calibrated the IMU and nothing happens... i have two inspire 2 that is showing the same problem.

is anyone experiencing this?

i2 compass.jpgi2 compass 0.jpg

I’ve had similar problems with I1. Tried to calibrate on many different places but the calibration was ending with error. I downgraded the firmware and then installed the latest one and the problem was solved. Not sure how is the downgrade process on I2 but you may try to refresh the current firmware using DJI assistant.
But the fact that you have this problem with second bird makes me think that the problem may be caused by the app or the controller. Are you testing both inspires with the same controller and tablet or you have separate for each one?

Reactions: nandoarr
Hello there guys.
i'm having a bitter issue here. Drone okay, have been using the i2 for 5 years now and lately the compass can't be calibrate...always giving me the error.
No firmware to update and the mesure of the sensor of the compass shows green light to fly...
aleady calibrated the IMU and nothing happens... i have two inspire 2 that is showing the same problem.

View attachment 33657View attachment 33658
Hello there guys.

View attachment 33657View attachment 33658
What you are saying is curious…about the same problem in both I2…?…You do not mention which terminal you are using for the Drone, Smartphone, Tablet, CristalSky, or some other device…Have you tried to use another device other than the one(s) you use usually in the I2...?... I know that the compass is located in the front part of the Inspire, probably the control core goes internally, sometimes this sensor magnetizes and this can happen because the drone is exposed to magnetic sources in the home, where you keep your drone stored or when flying it near cannular, radio or television antennas and also near high voltage towers. The atmosphere is charged many times with electrical particles that can eventually magnetize the compass of your Drone, hence the importance of checking the status of the sensors before executing a flight... now what you can do is the following, if you have a not very large magnet, that is the size that you can enclose it inside your fist and with the Inspire turned on and monitoring the condition of the compass, pass your fist near the nose or over the nose of the drone and see how the magnetization levels change of the compass, with a couple of passes of your fist the compass should be normalized. There is a YouTuber called Hatu, he is Colombian and he normalized the compass of an Inspire2 with this problem. I will attach the link so that you can see the video, it is in Spanish, I don't think it has an option for English subtitles, but when you see the video you will realize that he does this action to dismantle the Inspire2 compass. Luck.!!

Reactions: nandoarr
I’ve had similar problems with I1. Tried to calibrate on many different places but the calibration was ending with error. I downgraded the firmware and then installed the latest one and the problem was solved. Not sure how is the downgrade process on I2 but you may try to refresh the current firmware using DJI assistant.
But the fact that you have this problem with second bird makes me think that the problem may be caused by the app or the controller. Are you testing both inspires with the same controller and tablet or you have separate for each one?
Hi there Niki, how are you?
I tried downgrading the firmware and now i wasn't abble to get back to .0600 as it shows on the assistant as the latest, always crash the app or doesn't complete.
Also tried to calibrate compass in a lots of different places...nothing happens. So weird.
but thanks anyway.

I had the same issue after an update. Tried a new compass also. I ended up changing the main core
changed 4 compasses and didn't worked...so weird. Changed the main core too...and still the problem persist.

What you are saying is curious…about the same problem in both I2…?…You do not mention which terminal you are using for the Drone, Smartphone, Tablet, CristalSky, or some other device…Have you tried to use another device other than the one(s) you use usually in the I2...?... I know that the compass is located in the front part of the Inspire, probably the control core goes internally, sometimes this sensor magnetizes and this can happen because the drone is exposed to magnetic sources in the home, where you keep your drone stored or when flying it near cannular, radio or television antennas and also near high voltage towers. The atmosphere is charged many times with electrical particles that can eventually magnetize the compass of your Drone, hence the importance of checking the status of the sensors before executing a flight... now what you can do is the following, if you have a not very large magnet, that is the size that you can enclose it inside your fist and with the Inspire turned on and monitoring the condition of the compass, pass your fist near the nose or over the nose of the drone and see how the magnetization levels change of the compass, with a couple of passes of your fist the compass should be normalized. There is a YouTuber called Hatu, he is Colombian and he normalized the compass of an Inspire2 with this problem. I will attach the link so that you can see the video, it is in Spanish, I don't think it has an option for English subtitles, but when you see the video you will realize that he does this action to dismantle the Inspire2 compass. Luck.!!
Hi there! How is it going?
i tried different terminals, phone...tablet android, crystal sky, ipads...
I changed the compass for new ones, problem still happening...and what goes more weird is that i changed the core too, and the problem persist. I've been looking for the compass sensor everytime that i try to fly, and appears green, but the error of compass is still there.
tried to degauss the compass, nothing happened too.
don't know what to do now. Maybe the drone is too old...5 years + flying them, everyweek on cinema sets.

I tried downgrading the firmware and now i wasn't abble to get back to .0600 as it shows on the assistant as the latest, always crash the app or doesn't complete.
Can you give more info on that? What was the FW version you was, which one you downloaded, do you download this directly from dji site or trough DJI Assistant? Can you click on refresh button in DJI Assistant or it's grayed out? Can you try to upgrade the firmware through the app, I1 had this ability (DJI GO 3) but the app had to be run on generic android device, for example DJI's Crystal Sky wasn't showing options for upgrade while my Samsung Note 4 was showing that option. In my case I upgraded using sd card and didn't used DJI Assistant or the app, I mention those just as options, not sure if I2 can be updated using SD card.
I also was thinking that my compas was magnitized or broken from hard landing but it turned to be a software error as I said in previous post.
But the solution could be something else that I don't realizie, for example the downgrade and upgrade took almost a hour, the drone was on a wooden table in the middle of my room, away from speakers, TV set and other electronics, I also cut the electricity in my whole house while doing this just to avoid some electro magnetic interference from all stuff in our house. At the end of this hour I was with new firmware and the compas calibrated well, but I didn't tried to calibrate it in the house but outside away from buildings, bridges and power lines.
I was in panic mode as this was in mid of a film project I was working for and the next day was scheduled for drone work, that's why I've cut the electricity in my house as a last resort for giving the best possible environment for the bird to refresh itself. o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions