Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compatible micro four thirds lenses for Inspire 2

Reaction score
I'm moving on and trading in my I1 for an I2. Since I shots with LUMIX micro four thirds I was thinking of buying the gimbal without the lens and using one of mine.
Ck'd the DJI site and the listed a few lumix lenses. Anyone tried this approach and did you have success?
Did you try a micro four thirds that wasn't on the list?

Thanks

If you have lenses that are supported by the gimbal, you can definitely get the gimbal without the lens. We have been promoting that quite a bit lately. Here is a post we just made to make sure people know what options they have with us on a custom combo (if you are thinking about the Premium Combo that normally includes the DJI lens).

Custom Inspire 2 Combos from Florida Drone Supply

As for using non-supported lenses, some people have tried that and gotten a few others to work OK, but you need to be very careful about weight and balance. The supported lenses also have balance rings available to achieve the proper balance - so if you are trying to use something else, you will need to find a way to balance them properly.

Also, the overall weight of the lens will have an effect on how hard the motors work to keep the camera stabilized. While balance helps to offset the how hard they work, keep a larger mass stabilized will work your motors a little harder in general.

Finally, you may not get the full functions of a non-supported lens to work (aperture control, focus, zoom, etc). You might, but you will only know if you try it.

Definitely be careful if you go this route. Using supported lenses will ensure the best results.

Also, if you have not already made your arrangements for your new Inspire 2, let us know. We would love to help you with the purchase / trade.

Reactions: SanCap
Yep, go off it. That is what I did and I bought it from Florida Drone Supply. Michael got the X5S shipped to me with two day delivery. I have an assortment of cameras which include the GH4 that has the 4/3 format. I already had the 17mm Olympus and bought the 45mm to complement the X5S. Both work great and the X5S is an amazing camera. I am thinking of picking up the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm zoom as well. Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: RalphB
I am about to upgrade as well and I was just going to get the included lens as I figured "hey I know it's going to be comparable". That said the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42 sounds interesting. 3 questions.
Is it fully compatible?
Do you need to recalibrate the gamble to use it?
Can you operate the zoom function in fly with the Go app?

Thanks in advance!

rb

Yes
Balancing only
Yes

I am about to upgrade as well and I was just going to get the included lens as I figured "hey I know it's going to be comparable". That said the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42 sounds interesting. 3 questions.
Is it fully compatible?
Do you need to recalibrate the gamble to use it?
Can you operate the zoom function in fly with the Go app?

Thanks in advance!

rb

If you don't have to have the zoom and you do have the money, getting a set of prime lenses would give the best results in my opinion.

Some people do use that zoom lens and are happy with it, and if you need to change focal length without changing lenses of course you want that type of lens, but many who try it also find that they prefer the results from the primes. If you can try them side by side I would do that before settling on one option or the other. Of course some people also have both... ;)

I would say the 14-42 zoom is best (probably only) really suited to inspection type work where the zoom practicality outweighs the lower image quality when compared to the prime lenses. Of course, the cost is way less so you have to work out what is important to you.

Thanks for the input. Yes as a longtime photog I total agree with the prime over zoom approach. That said for inspections and the like it does sound like a good option. Do you know if one wanted to use it for videography purposes, is the zoom control something you pick you mm and then shoot or is there some level of smooth zooming and focal maintenance?

Thanks for the input. Yes as a longtime photog I total agree with the prime over zoom approach. That said for inspections and the like it does sound like a good option. Do you know if one wanted to use it for videography purposes, is the zoom control something you pick you mm and then shoot or is there some level of smooth zooming and focal maintenance?
You can certainly just choose your focal length and leave it there - or - you can zoom through the app - or - you can get the Focus Handwheel and use that to bounce between focus, aperture and zoom. The hand wheel is a great accessory for this and is not terribly expensive. If you pick up the X5S without the lens it saves you $500 which many find useful to put towards the lenses they prefer to have vs just using the kit lens provided with the X5S (DJI 15mm). Here are a few links for you if you are interested:

DJI Focus Handwheel

DJI Focus Handwheel Bracket

DJI Focus Handwheel - Inspire 2 RC CAN Bus Cable - 0.3m

The other way to mount the handwheel is with a Secraft Tray. Here is a link to the Secraft Products we stock: Secraft

You would need a Tray, Harness and an Easy Clamp. This set up is a little more expensive but it really help with the balance of your remote controller. The hand wheel adds some weight to either one side of your remote or the other and if you take your hands on the remote it will want to lean to the heavy side if you are just connected with the center clip on the radio.

Hope this helps - and if you decide you are ready to get any of it, we stock everything and ship same day.

Thanks!

I second what Florida Drone Supplies says about gimbal only - I opted to buy just the gimbal and a second hand Olympus 17mm lens which is very nice indeed and quite a bit cheaper than the DJI 15mm one

You can certainly just choose your focal length and leave it there - or - you can zoom through the app - or - you can get the Focus Handwheel and use that to bounce between focus, aperture and zoom. The hand wheel is a great accessory for this and is not terribly expensive. If you pick up the X5S without the lens it saves you $500 which many find useful to put towards the lenses they prefer to have vs just using the kit lens provided with the X5S (DJI 15mm). Here are a few links for you if you are interested:

DJI Focus Handwheel

DJI Focus Handwheel Bracket

DJI Focus Handwheel - Inspire 2 RC CAN Bus Cable - 0.3m

The other way to mount the handwheel is with a Secraft Tray. Here is a link to the Secraft Products we stock: Secraft

You would need a Tray, Harness and an Easy Clamp. This set up is a little more expensive but it really help with the balance of your remote controller. The hand wheel adds some weight to either one side of your remote or the other and if you take your hands on the remote it will want to lean to the heavy side if you are just connected with the center clip on the radio.

Hope this helps - and if you decide you are ready to get any of it, we stock everything and ship same day.

Thanks!
Wow. Thanks for this. 1 point of clarification. You said "to put towards the lenses they prefer to have vs just using the kit lens provided with the X5S". Which lens do "They" prefer you to have? The one that they sell with it is not the one they recommend? Sorry perhaps I missed something.

Wow. Thanks for this. 1 point of clarification. You said "to put towards the lenses they prefer to have vs just using the kit lens provided with the X5S". Which lens do "They" prefer you to have? The one that they sell with it is not the one they recommend? Sorry perhaps I missed something.
Sorry, what I meant was our clients who buy the gimbal without the lens normally have different lenses they are interested in using - so saving $500 and excluding the DJI lens allows them to use the $500 towards the lenses they are interested in (12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes or the zoom you are referring to). Its just a way to save some money by not purchasing something you may not use. And, because so many of these lenses are sold with gimbals, its been pretty easy to pick one up from someone who bought it, doesn't use it and wants to sell it. We have helped some of our clients buy and sell that lens for around $225 or $250. Most people getting rid of it claim they have almost never used it.

Michael

Ok. So the consensus seems to be that the Olympus 17mm is the superior lens. I was also wondering if anyone knew if the Panasonic Lumix 15mm f/1.7 was the same as the DJI stock lens and also cheaper

Sounds to me like I should be buying my inspire 2 package from Florida supply. Really dig your informative tone. I currently have my kit being evaluated for trade at Adorama, but it they will give me cash (even if that is $500 less) I would more that make that up buying from you as I am a NY resident and I am assuming that I would not be charged tax if I did purchase from you?

Sounds to me like I should be buying my inspire 2 package from Florida supply. Really dig your informative tone. I currently have my kit being evaluated for trade at Adorama, but it they will give me cash (even if that is $500 less) I would more that make that up buying from you as I am a NY resident and I am assuming that I would not be charged tax if I did purchase from you?
You are correct - no tax and free shipping. And depending on what you have, we have taken a number of Inspire 1 on trade towards Inspire 2.

You can not go wrong dealing with Michael and @Florida Drone Supply.

My problem is that my kit and accessories were so vast that it seemed as though they were the only ones that were interested in it as a kit. Where as since other shops didn't sell or support a lot of the extras, they had no value. I would be happy to send you the list of what I sent in to get your initial thoughts. Either way it seems like I would be silly not to speak with someone there about the kit I am putting together and get your profession input and at the very least a quote. How/who best should I speak with. Please feel free to private email if you would like to take this offline.

Robert

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk