Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

control and downlink frequency+4G control

@Dr Jon Is this someting we can try ourselves as well, as beta tester or just for fun? I'm sure many here would love to help/try this out!

Reactions: Fanti
Sorry already have 4 victims. ;)

Don't forget this is a paid for project not sure how the "customer" would react knowing the code is being used by others. They have already been bitching about current increase in development costs caused by their change in requirements.

Anyway we will see on 4th Feb.

Demo went really well apart from three things

1) the landing gear decided to lock in flight mode tried all the "fixes" found on the forum sites but a reboot on the R/C fixed it. (hope thats not my code causing it)

2) had issues that the 4G wouldn't disconnect control fully when i switched to radio, so more code investigations required.

3) the I2 was making a lot of beeping noises i have never heard before and no error messages on the screen, will decode the DAT later see if i can see anything (the customer thought it was just pleased to see me like a little dog)

At least got agreement to be paid for work so far and approval to complete outstanding "new requirements) and will pay all associated costs for "apple" /DJI approvals.

Reactions: DrMrdalj
How do you decode the DAT file of the I2? Where do you get it? I thought it was hidden on the internal SD card and encrypted as on the P4.

its for free and built in the Assistance 2 application. Just connect the I2 to the computer and select the simulator, but as ever there are no handbook for it.

Yes we fixed this... automated the process that once we go in to landing mode we copy the DAT files to our own SD card and deleted those on the internal SD card. If we need to ship the I2 back to DJI for any reason we have to reinstall the original code anyway as DJI wont touch the APP we created. There will be no DAT files. We also had to a workaround for some of the DJI code that enforces flight restrictions as we could be flying in'red' zones

Are you using the sdk or a complete custom firmware? The reason I ask is that I have spoken with a couple of the popular sdk based app developers and they say that they have no way to overide dji's NFZs when using the sdk. Maybe they just don't know how?

i'm using both SDK and a workaround to fool the NFZ when i use the 4G the control location is not near an airport :) i simply feed the controlling R/C GPS location to the I2 and send then my own GPS tracker affixed to the I2 back to the control pilot.

I already have 6 victims with the code around the world. We have discovered a major issue already associated with the Huawei Dongle we had been using but have found that a new version of the dongle has that problem fixed. Victims doing some interesting flights and find the penetration of the 4G allows them to fly where the normal radio wont let them. Also don't have that much problem with local interference from WiFi etc...

End customer has added another 16 items he wants (pleased to say he's paying) but i wont do this until i get version 1 fully bug free (and certified by Apple) recent DJI code release is now a ***** to work with as they have spilt the code in different configurations for X5S, X4S, those with ProRes etc. They also released a new version of DJI GO 4 which has impacted some of the I2 response which spoils some of the things we had relied upon, can be fixed but extra work.

Must be honest we are having more problems with the I2 itself than with the code we have developed. of the 12 i have the code installed on 50% have had issues, 4 sent back to DJI, 1 broken gimbal caused by landing gear lockout.

I apologize for hijacking this discussion for a moment, but it seems to me that you are really knowledgeable people who could have an answer to my question.

Has method of slave controller video reception really changed, so it does not receive video feed directly from the aircraft anymore (as Lighbridge and Inspire1 and Lighrbridge2 received video). On page 40 of Inspire2 user manual it is shown that video feed comes from master controller together with command communication, while for all other previous DJI systems video was received directly from the aircraft (just command communication was between controllers). On some other web page of DJI website it is stated that video feed comes to I2 slave controller from the master one by WiFi!?

Are these just plain wrong explanations of nontechnical DJI stuff, or is there real change in method of video reception on slave controllers!?

Thank you for the answer and I apologize once again for drifting this discussion. Please delete if needed.

Last edited:
the manual wording is correct.

all communication with the I2 is from the master R/C only and the slave R/C is linked to the master by a local link established from the master R/C. so the slave R/C camera control information is transmitted from the master to the I2.

The reason is the communication protocol is very different in the I2 compared to any other DJI product. in the past there has been delays between the master and slave information when using different links to the drone. to remove this one channel has been adopted.

I wouldn't use the term WiFi myself but rather the term "tethered" channel is better.

the manual wording is correct.

all communication with the I2 is from the master R/C only and the slave R/C is linked to the master by a local link established from the master R/C. so the slave R/C camera control information is transmitted from the master to the I2.

The reason is the communication protocol is very different in the I2 compared to any other DJI product. in the past there has been delays between the master and slave information when using different links to the drone. to remove this one channel has been adopted.

I wouldn't use the term WiFi myself but rather the term "tethered" channel is better.
Thank you Dr Jon for your swift reply, it is highly appreciated!
There is "Master and Slave communication via WiFi" mentioned in I2 User manual as well, on bottom of page 39, so I got suspicious about it being correct at all - your explanation made that clear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travejars