Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Coordinates readings?

Reaction score
Hello pilots.
Today I was wondering why am unable to simply read the coordinates for the plan location in the app.

Altitude and latitude are very important values that should be easy to read on the screen. Don't u agree with me? And any ideas or workarounds to get it?

you mean the max height and location in the user center flight record section after youve flown? that information takes forever to load for me for some reason and it apparently does not save, it has to load every time i close the app and re open it and takes a couple minutes.

or do you mean you cant see your altitude while you are actually flying?

Reactions: hmm828709
I mean the geo location of the plane when its flying , usually identified as geo X and Y or altitude and latitude.

I think the app does not show such info although it has a GPS receiver onboard that can make such info available for the SDK to print.

This brings up another question, If I created a new app using their SDK, would I be able to capture the GPS coordinates ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

yea ive never seen that info in the app, not really sure why youd care about it anyway and i dont know for sure but id say maybe. That info is saved on every picture you take with the inspire, might be able to somehow access it through sdk, i dont know anything about how that stuff works. you cant get the coordinates for your current location with google maps on a mobile device but you can on a pc if your right click the map, which doesnt really help.

For a civil engineer, the coordinates is very important info, we usually work with arcgis, a map publishing tool..

Anyways things are drifted away from subject. I will try to have an app with the dji sdk and make it show all the values fed from all sensors.

If I open a photo in Adobe bridge I can see the coordinates,but I think you need these coordinates when you're flying.If you make an app I would certainly hope to get it.

fair enough, all i know for sure is that when i right click a photo i took with the inspire and view the properties it lists the gps coordinate information there so it definitely knows where its at, couldnt tell you how you could access it and display on an app though. Good luck!

For a civil engineer, the coordinates is very important info, we usually work with arcgis, a map publishing tool..

Anyways things are drifted away from subject. I will try to have an app with the dji sdk and make it show all the values fed from all sensors.

Consumer GPS, such as the Inspire uses, is no where near accurate enough for any use in any GIS software or surveying purposes. It's only good for getting a general position. Spec says 2.5m accuracy.

I do mapping and the EXIF recorded long/lat position is not accurate enough. I use either placed or known Ground Control Points.

For general location there are loads of long/lat apps for Android and IOS that work quite well. Hope this helps.

Please tell me this true!?, where I can read that on dji site?

Nothing to do with DJI, it's a 3rd-party app that isn't out yet (currently in beta testing).

Here is a screenshot with long/lat
e8be4acd9f03e48c10a721cfb529ab0d.jpg

Amazing,
downloading it now.. I believe dji should include this in the app because, this screenshot make me more convinced that such info is valuable for pilots.

I agree this is an important function lacking. FAA requires lat/lon coordinates for all of the official flight log filings under the typical Certificate of Authorization, and I have spent endless hours pulling the geo coordinates for my flights from it other applications. This should be very simple to display and include in the flight log, no?

I agree this is an important function lacking. FAA requires lat/lon coordinates for all of the official flight log filings under the typical Certificate of Authorization, and I have spent endless hours pulling the geo coordinates for my flights from it other applications. This should be very simple to display and include in the flight log, no?
Were you able to pull the values instantly during the fly? like were you able to know the location of the plane?

Were you able to pull the values instantly during the fly? like were you able to know the location of the plane?
No, the FAA only requires that you log the latitude and longitude of your flights in a report filed at the end of each month. My only observation is that it appears to be impossible to obtain this information from the Inspire logs -- they need to be cross-referenced by looking up the flight location in some other mapping app that displays lat/long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters