Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Could I use a Vision+ to hoist a 2.4GHz WiFi extender in the air ??

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone tried attaching a WiFi extender (battery-powered) to a Phantom in order to increase range?

I currently have a Vision+ but thinking about upgrading to the Inspire. One problem I frequently run into is losing signal on a long range flight because of tall trees in the way -- as shown in this diagram:

Concept of signal repeater drone #2.jpg

So I was wondering if it's feasible to mount a small lightweight 2.4GHz WiFi repeater to the Vision+ and have it hover above the treetops so it can relay RF signal between me on the ground and the Inspire way off in the distance (>1 mile) ??

Since I often fly alone, I would simply use GPS mode to have the Vision+ hover about 30 feet above the treetops and then put down that controller and pick up the Inspire controller and take off. Since both the Vision+ and Inspire 1 have similar flight times, I think this could be a workable idea.

This system could be great for certain circumstances --- such as when you need to fly and then descend at a far distance in order to get a closeup shot of something on the ground (ie, wildlife).

Inspire does not run over wifi. so u could hoist one up with your phantom but its not going to help the inspire.. even if you hoisted a 2nd inspire controller it wouldnt help as it goes to the master unit first.,

Man, great idea! Thought about it once but I think don't work the money,

Thats a great idea but you'll need to have 2 pilots.

I won't need to hold both controllers at once. I would launch the Vision+ in GPS mode and let it hover above the treetops. No input on the sticks is necessary at that point (unless a really windy day). I wouldn't need to touch the Vision+ controller again until I need to land it.

Once the Vision+ is hovering, then I use the Inspire controller to launch and fly off into the distance.

I won't need to hold both controllers at once. I would launch the Vision+ in GPS mode and let it hover above the treetops. No input on the sticks is necessary at that point (unless a really windy day). I wouldn't need to touch the Vision+ controller again until I need to land it.

Once the Vision+ is hovering, then I use the Inspire controller to launch and fly off into the distance.
wifi does not help the Inspire!!!!

Inspire does not run over wifi. so u could hoist one up with your phantom but its not going to help the inspire.. even if you hoisted a 2nd inspire controller it wouldnt help as it goes to the master unit first.,

Inspire operates on 2.4 GHz, right? That is a WiFi frequency.

well the phantom 2 vison wifi repeter is sorta what you were talking about and that is not going to increase the range of the lightbridge 2.

I wasn't planning on using the Vision's WiFi extender --- I was going to buy an off-the-shelf WiFi extender --- although finding one that runs off a lipo might be difficult.

I wasn't planning on using the Vision's WiFi extender --- I was going to buy an off-the-shelf WiFi extender --- although finding one that runs off a lipo might be difficult.
well since the controll signal goes through LB to the inspire im not sure, i havent seen any that work with the LB 1 ( i own 2 of those as well)

The Vision uses WiFi, so you could extend the range of a Vision that way.
The Inspire does not, so that will not work.

WiFi is a standard defining a whole stack of things like network infrastructure, channels, access and authentication methods, network protocol use, etc...Which frequency it uses is merely a detail. So no, talking of Wi-Fi for anything else than wireless computer networks of that name is wrong use of the term.

You need to connect a repeater to an existing WiFi network, and it will create a new WiFi network named differently you can connect your devices to.
The Inspire uses a proprietary communication system, it does not use anything of the WiFi standards. Visions do.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
The inspire 1 doesn't use wifi, when you connect to your tablet you don't connect to a wifi network like with the Vision. The signal is coming straight from the antennas in the controller into your device from the cord. Range is pretty good on the inspire btw!

isn't it possible that the Inspire, with its greater range and more powerful transmitter, will just work through the trees anyway?

Very likely yes. I've already been flying behind buildings and was very surprised of the result.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry