Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crystal Sky Or IPad?

Reaction score
Hey guys, just recently purchased the Cendence controller for the Inspure 2 and was looking to buy either the Crystal Sky or the best option available in an IPad. Will be using this for primarily site and building facade inspections. Looking for the most reliable option. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: GFields
Hey guys, just recently purchased the Cendence controller for the Inspure 2 and was looking to buy either the Crystal Sky or the best option available in an IPad. Will be using this for primarily site and building facade inspections. Looking for the most reliable option. Thanks in advance!
CrytalSky is excellent. Both 5" and 7". I love them. The only down side they are only compatible with P4, Inspire and few other DJi discontinued models. If you get a good capable tablet you can use it on anything.

Probably discussed to death in this forum, there is no one answer for this. Both support different app, if this is not a factor for you then maybe get the iPad, it's faster (less lag than CS), newer tech and can be used for other stuff. I personally use Crystal Sky from the time it was released, we are shooting for film and tv and our job is ususally 8-10 hours working day. There is no phone or tablet on this world that have his battery to last full day while using it at full brightnes. The hot swapable battery is a game changer for us, instead of buying multiple tablets to cover our full day we just need a few batteries, usually 2 batteris for the small and 3 for the big one per day.

Another option is the Tripltek 8 tablet. This is an Android tablet that will run all the DJI apps, Litchi etc and has the same or higher brightness than the brightest Crystalsky and is weatherproof. It can also be used as a normal tablet so whilst expensive is a better long term bet than a Crystalsky which for instance wont run the Fly app. It also has facility for a SIM card and micro SD.

I'll start off by saying that I am by no means an Apple fan boy. That said...

My iPads have been rock solid, especially for the DJI apps. Other third-party mapping apps put more strain on them, and this has manifested itself as the occasional app crash. And when I say "occasional," I mean "rarely." Because the iPads have passive cooling, they are susceptible to heat. They throttle back the CPU when they get hot. So if you use best practices like keeping the iPad out of direct sunlight on hot days while flying CPU-heavy apps, you're good. That said, the DJI apps are so lightweight that they work regardless of how hot the iPad gets. I've got an old Air 1 that still works great for DJI apps to this day. That said...

I hear good and bad things about the Crystal Sky. The two consistent complaints have been lack of compatibility with some apps and crashing issues.

D

If you fly more than one drone, I recommend the Tripltek Tablet

I use the CrystalSky 7.85" originally with the Inspire 2 v2 and now Phantom 4 Pro v2. Very nice on sunny days. I never use a hood.

Last edited:
I have both a Inspire 1 AND 2. I use the Cendence for the I2 w/ CrystalSky. I love the setup. Have used it since it came out. I would never consider another display. It does a great job in direct sun, with NO hood needed. Totally spoiled. I tried using the CrystalSky on the I1, but the latency was totally terrible. I messed with it as much as I could to make it better, but it simply did not work. I was really trying to dump my iPad mini with the hood. But finally gave up on the CrystalSky on the I1. BUT with the Cendence on the I2, there is NOTHING better IMHO.

CrytalSky is excellent. Both 5" and 7". I love them. The only down side they are only compatible with P4, Inspire and few other DJi discontinued models. If you get a good capable tablet you can use it on anything.
I have a Crystalsky 7 inch Bright monitor in excellent condition. It comes with a DJI hood, PolarPro cover, 2 batteries and double battery charger. Used it for Solar mapping missions over the past year. Running Pilot App. I just bought a TripleTek 8 and will let it go for $500. Shipping in Con US only PayPal. It does NOT come with mounting bracket. You will have to purchase that about $79 dollars. PM me if interested. I can provide pics. John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool