Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Dartmoor National Park - Overflight

Reaction score
Website
www.flyinghorseimaging.co.uk
Dartmoor National Park - Advice Please

I would be very grateful for any input that members of this group can give.

Recently, I undertook a still and video photo assignment for a Hotel and a farmer who is a part owner in the Hotel, located in the National Park with full permission for take-off etc from the private landowner (not the Dartmoor National Park Authority – DNPA).

In so doing I believe I was in compliance with DNPA’s Byelaws governing access land as my flights were entirely within the confines of a private landowner property.

However, the DNPA’s Byelaws 18.2 state “No person shall release any power-driven model aircraft (which would include drones not more than 5 Kg) for flight on or over the access land unless authorized by the DNPA”

My question is all about landowner permissions and overflight. It seems that the DNPA imposes the same conditions as land owned and managed by the National Trust and English Heritage.

But my take on this is that if one operates from land with permission from a private landowner then DNPA have no right to ban overflight by a UAV operator complying with ANO 2016 and CAP722.

Also, do DNPA’s Byelaws regarding over flight take precedence over CAA’s jurisdiction of airspace. Surely, we have the same right to airspace as manned aircraft operating legally according to CAA’s regulations?

Thoughts and comments please.

Reactions: BennG
Have you had any communication with the DNPA?

I would have thought they would be fine with your assignment as you are clearly remaining in the confines of the owners property as you point out. And then if you are maintaining the correct standoff of 50m whilst above any parkland you would surely be within the conditions laid out in the CAA certification.

I've done a lot of flying on the South Downs with permission of landowners and on occasions with permission from the South Downs Park Authority and not encountered any problems.

I would have thought their main concern would be to preserve the peace and tranquility of walkers etc.

Have you had any communication with the DNPA?

I would have thought they would be fine with your assignment as you are clearly remaining in the confines of the owners property as you point out. And then if you are maintaining the correct standoff of 50m whilst above any parkland you would surely be within the conditions laid out in the CAA certification.

I've done a lot of flying on the South Downs with permission of landowners and on occasions with permission from the South Downs Park Authority and not encountered any problems.

I would have thought their main concern would be to preserve the peace and tranquility of walkers etc.
Actually, I flew this assignment back in mid June without incident. But I have been asked by a group to take more aerials of various parts of the moors which I can really only do with DNPA cooperation. I shall need to talk to them.

I would have thought if you are flying over freeholder land and not overflying any public areas you should have been ok - the only proviso on Dartmoor is the danger areas used by the military. I would be very interested to hear your outcome as I live 10 mins from there!

I would have thought if you are flying over freeholder land and not overflying any public areas you should have been ok - the only proviso on Dartmoor is the danger areas used by the military. I would be very interested to hear your outcome as I live 10 mins from there!
I believe I was OK. But whether the local bylaws preventing the use of drones extend to the whole area covered by the national park including freeholder land, I don't know. I shall keep you informed of the results I obtain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc