Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Difference between Phantom vision 2 + and the Inspire.

Reaction score
Hi
For those of you that have flown both these units. Can anyone tell me what the handling differences are. I would like to know if one is easier to fly than the other, or are they very similar.
Thanks

I own both...the Phantom flies well, but the Inspire seems more responsive and much more stable in higher winds. The Inspire goes a lot faster...which you need to be aware of. The camera on the Vision plus is crappy. I am happy with the camera/quality of the Inspire camera. Both are controlled the same (mode 2) in USA,,,you can change the control mode/ configuration with the Inspire App. The app on the Inspire is really great...I have the earlier version IOS App on an I Pad Air and it works great.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like they handle similarly, but the inspire steps it up a few notches. :)

Absolutely...it really is nice. Turn your WI Fi off or put it in airplane mode on your monitor device...I did not do this flying inside and lost control and the craft crashed into a wall...lost props, but everything is fine. I'm going to make a laminated check list and really focus on this before I fly. Good luck...the Inspire is really nice.

Absolutely...I'm sure I could use some input after I get the first draft done. Will work on this tomorrow. Thanks

Check List...

Here is what I have come up with...this is just my take...hopefully will help me be more focused. I also put this on the thread that talks about a Check List. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to explain my thinking while I came up with this list. There is a condensed check list of this at the end of my post.

INSPIRE CHECK LIST (AS OF 2.2.15)

BEFORE I LEAVE TO FLY – IN MY HANGAR (OFFICE)

In general, I like to keep my Inspire ready to go. This basically means that I have all batteries charged, maps loaded on my iPad Air, and my camera set to the default settings I normally shoot with. I always keep my card in the camera formatted without any files on it. (I keep Cache Maps switch to on position – APP settings)

Before I leave to shoot, I check my IMU Calibration, the Mod values…to make sure they are where they need to be.

(Mode / Advanced Settings / Sensors / 3 Mod Readouts on right…stacked above each other)

Gyroscope Mod – 0.00

Acceleration (g) Mod – .99 to 1.01

Compass Mod – Mod – 1400 to 1600

(note: maybe this needs to be done before I take off each time?)

If I’m shooting in town or anywhere I’m able to drive, I have my Inspire already set up with camera mounted and my iPad Air already mounted on my remote control with improvised sun shade attached. I put the Inspire and Remote in my car already set up.

I drive a Honda CRV and have “compartments” set up in the flat, rear section of the car so the Inspire and remote can travel securely. I keep the case in this back compartment as well with anything else I will need for multiple flights, recharging, etc.

I also give some thought to the overall logistics concerning the locations in which I’m shooting. What are weather conditions (wind), when is the best time to shoot, where will the sun be, do I need to consider people or traffic present, what would be a good safe place to take off and land, what shots do I have in mind when I take off. Do I need to get permission to do this shooting?

CHECK LIST(with explanations) - based on flying with GPS control…which is all I want to do.

1- Find a Good Take-off / Landing Area…flat, free of obstructions, people, possible radio interference. (really important when people/ traffic are around)

2- Check Props - make sure they are nice and snug - by hand. (No prop-locks yet)

3- Check Camera Filter - ND or regular, depending on sunlight. (easy to forget)

4- Turn on Remote Control, iPad Air also turns on at this time. Confirm your remote is charged…4 white lights on lower face of remote.

5- Confirm your Tablet Battery is Charged.

6- On your tablet/monitor Settings, Turn on airplane mode or confirm you are in Airplane mode.

7- Make sure Flight Mode Switch is in the P Position – Flight Mode – P-Atti. GPS Control. (3 position silver switch on the left rear of the remote - put it on P)

8- Turn on the Inspire.

9- Turn on the Pilot App…select the Camera Icon…Confirm that the BASICS ARE CORRECT on the Aircraft State Screen. Flight Mode, (P-Atti) – RC Mode (Mode 2) – Aircraft Battery (fully charged?). RC Battery (good charge?).

10- Perform a COMPASS CALIBRATION. Do this every time before you fly and when you move to a new location. Do this in an area that is free of metal objects…sidewalks are not good because they have iron rebar underneath.

Calibration - Press the compass calibration “button” on your APP. A Yellow Light should come on at the rear of the craft. Hold the Inspire horizontally in front of you and make a slow 360 circle….wait for a solid green light… then turn the Inspire vertically in your hands in front of you and make another 360 circle.

At this point, you can set the Inspire back in the take-off area you have designated.

11- Confirm on-screen that you have GPS Control. You should have white solid bars next to the satellite icon on the top of the screen on the APP. (# of satellites are not visible anymore on the APP). The light on the rear of the craft should be Blinking Green. There should be a message at the top of the screen that says Safe To Fly-GPS Control. (The video DJI just put out on :”How to Fly” says you should look for a blinking purple light to confirm GPS control – this is not correct)

12- Confirm the Gimbal Mode you want to be in on the APP…left hand side of screen…I prefer the Follow Mode. (need to do more experimenting here)

13- Do a quick Map Check on your APP monitor to make sure the Inspire Icon matches the home base you have just established with calibration…go back camera mode after you do this.

14- Check and Confirm Camera settings…auto iris, white balance, shooting resolution, frame rate, (I’ve been mostly in auto mode for iris and white balance…will be doing more in the manual mode as I get more comfortable)

15- Stand Behind the Inspire for take-off. Do a final check to make sure people are clear…if people are standing too close, ask them to stand back. (I feel more comfortable standing behind the Inspire…not totally necessary, but this helps me)

16- Take Off and Hover 8-10 feet or so, initially. (I prefer taking off manually)

Let the craft hover for 30 seconds or so close to you…do a quick status check on your monitor to make sure everything is in order…GPS control, battery levels. Check the blinking light status on the rear of the craft…Blinking Green. (This is a double check)

17- Raise the Landing Gear. (I have forgotten to do this several times)

18- Go fly. Get Your Shots. Be safe and have fun. I won’t fly with the craft out of my sight line. Don’t fly above 400 feet. Use common sense…don’t fly low over a bunch of people or traffic. Don’t fly near the White House. Don’t take off next to a freeway like the idiots did from OctoFilms, demoing a Beta version of the Inspire for You Tube.

19- CONSTANTLY CHECK INSPIRE BATTERY LEVELS AS YOU FLY. Make sure you have enough battery to return in plenty of time. (30% warning level set on your APP)

20- When you Land, Turn the Inspire Off First…then your turn off the remote control unit.

PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST – CONSOLIDATED

1______CHOSE A GOOD TAKE-OFF LANDING PLACE

2______CHECK PROPS

3______CHECK CAMERA FILTER

4______TURN ON REMOTE CONTROL

5______CHECK TABLET BATTERY LEVEL

6______TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE ON TABLET

7______FLIGHT MODE SWITCH IN P POSITION ( P - ATTI)

8______TURN ON INSPIRE

9______TURN ON PILOT APP – CONFIRM BASICS ON SCREEN

_______FLIGHT MODE (P-ATTI)

_______AIRCRAFT BATTERY CHARGED

_______RC BATTERY CHARGED

10______CALIBRATE COMPASS

11______CONFIRM GPS CONTROL

_______APP SCREEN - SATELLITE BARS FULL

_______APP SCREEN – SAFE TO FLY (GPS CONTROL)

_______INSPIRE REAR LIGHT BLINKING GREEN

12______CONFIRM GIMBAL MODE ON APP (FOLLOW, for me)

13______MAP CHECK – AIRPLANE ICON AT HOME BASE?

14______CHECK AND CONFIRM CAMERA SETTINGS

15______STAND BEHIND INSPIRE

16______TAKE OFF – HOVER – FINAL CHECK OF BATTERY LEVELS, GPS CONTROL

17______RAISE LANDING GEAR

18______FLY SAFELY, SHOOT. CONSTANT BATTERY CHECK – ALLOW TIME TO RETURN

I'm going to add that I have enjoyed my Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Flown it in almost every state from NY to FL.. I haven't had any issues with the camera, photos are bright, quality is there... I have captured a lot of great footage on it... also.. to take it out my backpack and get flying is a lot easier then the inspire... and finally its $1300 with 2 batteries...

The inspire 1 is a more robust, beautiful flying machine... Will make any tech-nerd within 100 yards get a chubby.... 4k Video.. Tons of additional camera settings... Has a overzealous airbrake (if your flying and let go of the sticks, it halts).. I do like all the additional options and customizability's... But it $3000...

To end my story I was hiking down the beach today to get to my vantage point with my inspire in it's oem suitcase in 15 degrees and perhaps below 0 wind chill... I strangely missed my phantom, and felt a little strange on the beach with my check on baggage...
:D
Hope you enjoyed!
J

Check List...

Here is what I have come up with...this is just my take...hopefully will help me be more focused. I also put this on the thread that talks about a Check List. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to explain my thinking while I came up with this list. There is a condensed check list of this at the end of my post.

In general, I like to keep my Inspire ready to go. This basically means that I have all batteries charged, maps loaded on my iPad Air, and my camera set to the default settings I normally shoot with. I always keep my card in the camera formatted without any files on it. (I keep Cache Maps switch to on position – APP settings)

Before I leave to shoot, I check my IMU Calibration, the Mod values…to make sure they are where they need to be.

(Mode / Advanced Settings / Sensors / 3 Mod Readouts on right…stacked above each other)

Gyroscope Mod – 0.00

If I’m shooting in town or anywhere I’m able to drive, I have my Inspire already set up with camera mounted and my iPad Air already mounted on my remote control with improvised sun shade attached. I put the Inspire and Remote in my car already set up.

I drive a Honda CRV and have “compartments” set up in the flat, rear section of the car so the Inspire and remote can travel securely. I keep the case in this back compartment as well with anything else I will need for multiple flights, recharging, etc.

I also give some thought to the overall logistics concerning the locations in which I’m shooting. What are weather conditions (wind), when is the best time to shoot, where will the sun be, do I need to consider people or traffic present, what would be a good safe place to take off and land, what shots do I have in mind when I take off. Do I need to get permission to do this shooting?

CHECK LIST(with explanations) - based on flying with GPS control…which is all I want to do.

1- Find a Good Take-off / Landing Area…flat, free of obstructions, people, possible radio interference. (really important when people/ traffic are around)

2- Check Props - make sure they are nice and snug - by hand. (No prop-locks yet)

4- Turn on Remote Control, iPad Air also turns on at this time. Confirm your remote is charged…4 white lights on lower face of remote.

6- On your tablet/monitor Settings, Turn on airplane mode or confirm you are in Airplane mode.

7- Make sure Flight Mode Switch is in the P Position – Flight Mode – P-Atti. GPS Control. (3 position silver switch on the left rear of the remote - put it on P)

8- Turn on the Inspire.

9- Turn on the Pilot App…select the Camera Icon…Confirm that the BASICS ARE CORRECT on the Aircraft State Screen. Flight Mode, (P-Atti) – RC Mode (Mode 2) – Aircraft Battery (fully charged?). RC Battery (good charge?).

10- Perform a COMPASS CALIBRATION. Do this every time before you fly and when you move to a new location. Do this in an area that is free of metal objects…sidewalks are not good because they have iron rebar underneath.

Calibration - Press the compass calibration “button” on your APP. A Yellow Light should come on at the rear of the craft. Hold the Inspire horizontally in front of you and make a slow 360 circle….wait for a solid green light… then turn the Inspire vertically in your hands in front of you and make another 360 circle.

At this point, you can set the Inspire back in the take-off area you have designated.

11- Confirm on-screen that you have GPS Control. You should have white solid bars next to the satellite icon on the top of the screen on the APP. (# of satellites are not visible anymore on the APP). The light on the rear of the craft should be Blinking Green. There should be a message at the top of the screen that says Safe To Fly-GPS Control. (The video DJI just put out on :”How to Fly” says you should look for a blinking purple light to confirm GPS control – this is not correct)

12- Confirm the Gimbal Mode you want to be in on the APP…left hand side of screen…I prefer the Follow Mode. (need to do more experimenting here)

13- Do a quick Map Check on your APP monitor to make sure the Inspire Icon matches the home base you have just established with calibration…go back camera mode after you do this.

14- Check and Confirm Camera settings…auto iris, white balance, shooting resolution, frame rate, (I’ve been mostly in auto mode for iris and white balance…will be doing more in the manual mode as I get more comfortable)

15- Stand Behind the Inspire for take-off. Do a final check to make sure people are clear…if people are standing too close, ask them to stand back. (I feel more comfortable standing behind the Inspire…not totally necessary, but this helps me)

16- Take Off and Hover 8-10 feet or so, initially. (I prefer taking off manually)

Let the craft hover for 30 seconds or so close to you…do a quick status check on your monitor to make sure everything is in order…GPS control, battery levels. Check the blinking light status on the rear of the craft…Blinking Green. (This is a double check)

18- Go fly. Get Your Shots. Be safe and have fun. I won’t fly with the craft out of my sight line. Don’t fly above 400 feet. Use common sense…don’t fly low over a bunch of people or traffic. Don’t fly near the White House. Don’t take off next to a freeway like the idiots did from OctoFilms, demoing a Beta version of the Inspire for You Tube.

19- CONSTANTLY CHECK INSPIRE BATTERY LEVELS AS YOU FLY. Make sure you have enough battery to return in plenty of time. (30% warning level set on your APP)

20- When you Land, Turn the Inspire Off First…then your turn off the remote control unit.

2______CHECK PROPS

8______TURN ON INSPIRE

Good job..thank you for taking the time to post it..

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Check List...

Gyroscope Mod – 0.00

8- Turn on the Inspire.

2______CHECK PROPS

8______TURN ON INSPIRE

This is a very thorough and well thought out checklist. I am going to recommend that it be posted to the FAQ thread as a sticky. Good job!

I'm going to add that I have enjoyed my Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Flown it in almost every state from NY to FL.. I haven't had any issues with the camera, photos are bright, quality is there... I have captured a lot of great footage on it... also.. to take it out my backpack and get flying is a lot easier then the inspire... and finally its $1300 with 2 batteries...

The inspire 1 is a more robust, beautiful flying machine... Will make any tech-nerd within 100 yards get a chubby.... 4k Video.. Tons of additional camera settings... Has a overzealous airbrake (if your flying and let go of the sticks, it halts).. I do like all the additional options and customizability's... But it $3000...

To end my story I was hiking down the beach today to get to my vantage point with my inspire in it's oem suitcase in 15 degrees and perhaps below 0 wind chill... I strangely missed my phantom, and felt a little strange on the beach with my check on baggage...
:D
Hope you enjoyed!
J

I hear you about the Phantom Vision Plus...I do video for a living...(30 years - old guy). I love that it is a self-contained package...and it's cost. But when I get images from this unit on a large screen HD TV in edit, the images are not good...they are soft, there is a lot of aliasing...believe me, I wish the looked better...and I have tried every tweak possible to make them look better. When compared to the images I got from the GoPro Hero 3+ on the Phantom rig that I bought after that, the Vision Plus images just did not cut it. The main point of all of this craziness is to make good pictures...for me, the GoPro and the Inspire are better than acceptable. I would love to get a DSLR in the air, but I've got to draw the line somewhere. Happy flying and stay warm...can't wait for the flowering trees!

Quick question, why is it necessary?
Quick question, why is it necessary?

To be completely honest (I hate when people say that), I really don't know. I've had several folks on this forum indicate that you should not have wi-fi enabled when you fly...thus turning airplane mode on. I think maybe it can cause interference with the remote...just an uneducated guess.

To be completely honest (I hate when people say that), I really don't know. I've had several folks on this forum indicate that you should not have wi-fi enabled when you fly...thus turning airplane mode on. I think maybe it can cause interference with the remote...just an uneducated guess.
To my limited knowledge, wifi normally run on two frequency that is 2.4GHz and 5.0 Ghz, and the Inspire 1 operates on 5.8GHz.. It's not like having the GoPro's wifi turned on (2.4GHz) on your Phantom 2 that it will conflict with the remote's signal.

To my limited knowledge, wifi normally run on two frequency that is 2.4GHz and 5.0 Ghz, and the Inspire 1 operates on 5.8GHz.. It's not like having the GoPro's wifi turned on (2.4GHz) on your Phantom 2 that it will conflict with the remote's signal.

Then I have no clue...I thought I may have read this in DJI manual, but I have had several members of this forum indicate that this was necessary...I will pursue. Thanks,

Thanks for posting your list. Just a quick point: Make sure you do know how to fly ATTI mode because it doesn't half disappear fast if it's a bit windy when you lose GPS.

Also, you will probably find that ATTI mode is smoother for video shooting anyway. As soon as you centre the sticks in GPS more, the aircraft brakes itself from whichever direction it was going and comes to an immediate stop... You can be much smoother in ATTI mode.

You probably know all this already, though so sorry if I'm teaching an old dog etc...

Cheers

Roastie

I have a couple of reasons I use airplane mode. When using my IPad I have gotten phone calls, emails, texts, etc that will interfere with the app and cause it to freeze or crash. It also helps avoid updates and randomly picking up other wifi signals that can pop up on your screen and cause you to loose focus and or crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44